Your favorite depiction of an alien in a sci fi movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerryb, Feb 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member Thread Starter

I've always like this guy from Close Encounters.

[​IMG]

2. Snoflo1998

Snoflo1998 Well-Known Member

The 'Proto-molecule' from the SyFy series The Expanse.

mds, slovell, wayneklein and 2 others like this.
  3. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

Most movie aliens tend to look cheesy. However, the xenomorph from Alien was and still is terrifying today. [​IMG]

eric777, The Hud, mds and 29 others like this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

[​IMG]

But seriously, I've always liked the Predator alien (from the original film) and the xenomorph, but probably the most interesting and alien aliens for me were the Vorlons from B5.

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I didn't know Peter Gabriel was in a sci-fi movie!

My favorite alien is the Horta from Star Trek. That was the thing that ate rock. SO very alien, I like it as an illustration that we might not recognize aliens at all. I've read sic-fi stories where stars are conscious, or planets, or waxy substances. Heck, we can't even talk to dolphins, elephants, or whales. They seem quite intelligent-if we can't communicate with them how would we ever talk to aliens? It doesn't really matter, they are too far away in space and/or time to ever talk to us.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    mds, DHamilton, Frozensoda and 5 others like this.
  6. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

[​IMG]

jerol

Siegmund, polchik, ralphb and 7 others like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Nobody has mentioned the water creature from The Abyss, which was pretty stunning when the movie came out in 1989:

[​IMG]

But I gotta say, for alien creatures that are absolutely incredible in terms of life we can't even imagine, I would point to John Carpenter's 1982 remake of The Thing:

[​IMG]

I just watched the recent Blu-ray remastering of this, and it still scared the f*** outta me. For a film with very, very few optical effects, pre-digital, it's amazing they were able to pull this stuff off and make it so realistic. Note that 100% of the interiors were shot on the Universal lot during warm weather.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Favourite SCI FI characters.
    Robby The Robot
    Predator

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Is the water thing from Abyss actually an alien? I always assumed it was just the 'real' aliens manipulating water to their own needs, like some advanced telekinesis.

11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]

At least no one has mentioned Phil Collins yet....

13. My favorite depiction...hmmm. I'll be honest, that depiction does revolve around quite a lot of things.
    For great scares, overall presence, and pretty much being almost indestructible I would choose the xenophobe (creature from the movie Alien)
    Everything about that creature is bad for humans, too fast, too powerful, too cunning, too smart, too many and if you happen to actually get around to kill one of them that act may also end your life from the fall out. Great alien character.

Next would be the alien from The Thing (1982 version with Kurt Russell) That alien is stealthy, able to morph into seemingly any living animal on this planet with almost undetectable results, and in a few seconds too boot. Was able to lie in wait for who knows how long. Hard to kill. Hard to avoid. Impossible to hide from. Another great alien character.

The girl from "Lifeforce". Okay, so she is some sort of space vampire that drains all the life out of you in order to survive. But DANG!!! She is put together so well that the last image you have of life may be worth the price of admission.

Last, for me anyway, would be Chewbacca. Not the best character ever written into a movie but certainly a very fun and integral part of something that has become part of current life as we know it. Being a kid of the right age in 1977 I was taken full tilt by the spectacle of Star Wars. Everyone wanted to be Luke Skywalker but I really liked Han Solo.
    Wanting to be Han Solo included Chewbacca as your best friend and he seemed like a good friend to have...Still does even after enduring some less than spectacular iterations of the saga.

14. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

15. zephyr25

zephyr25 Forum Resident

Mars Attacks!

16. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Vorlons would be my choice as well assuming made for tv movies and shows count. Great concept that each species sees them in their own image.

slovell, tomunbound and Erik Tracy like this.
  17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

You are correct.

Jim B. likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Coolest movie monster period - terrestrial or otherwise!

[​IMG]

Leviethan, TheVU, slovell and 19 others like this.
  19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

One of the intriguing aspects of the alien from The Thing is the fact that you never actually see it in its "natural" form... it's always taking shape in the disguise of (or at least using bits & pieces of) other life forms it has absorbed and assimilated. Who knows what it "really" looks like? ;)

izgoblin, wayneklein, jsayers and 3 others like this.
  20. Van Fanatic

Van Fanatic Forum Resident

I have a soft spot in my heart for this guy:

[​IMG]
    It! The Terror From Beyond Space (1958)

He's a fluid-sucking vampire-type creature from Mars.

mds, geralmar, Ghostworld and 5 others like this.
  21. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I thought one of the best ideas was the alien in "Contact" which assumed the form of the woman's father.

22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Xenomorph

Special mention to King Ghidorah--who is sometimes an alien, and always cool!

23. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well... let's just say it's physical evidence that aliens exist. Cameron never did show the aliens' faces in The Abyss, I think for reasons similar to what Kubrick did in 2001: everything he tried looked hokey.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Dark City Strangers

mds, SandAndGlass, slovell and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.