Your favorite Dracula ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Richard--W, Aug 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

A documentary on the making of the Universal Dracula.

Tim S likes this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Nosferatu (original)
    Coppola's version
    I also love Lugosi and Christopher Lee, although the Hammer movies do drag on with not enough Lee in them (I'm not a fan of Cushing either). I also liked Richard Roxburgh's Dracula in Van Helsing.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Thanks. I'll keep a look out for them.

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

*faints*

smilin ed and Phil147 like this.
  5. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Though I found the DVD used at CD Tradepost, it's available at Amazon:

[​IMG]

6. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Christopher Lee the best Dracula going to watch some of these this weekend if I can find them!

Michael, Django and Jeff Minn like this.
  7. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Not just the best vampire movie, but one of the greatest horror films of all time AND one of the greatest films of ANY genre ever made.

willwin, willy and Bluesman Mark like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Just watched this...Dracula (1973) with Jack Palance

for me the most authentic...Jack nailed it.

BwanaBob and Bluesman Mark like this.
  9. Bluesman Mark

I rate Palance's Dracula just below Lee's. Jack was great in the role.

10. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I love Christopher Lee in almost everything he did but I really disliked his portrayal of Dracula. I blame the Hammer Studio's ham-fisted production values. Ridiculously over the top. There was an American version of Hammer's styled Dracula, called Count Yorga. Equally silly.

11. Bluesman Mark

:eek: :eek: Sacrilege!! :laugh:

Boo!!! Hiss!!! :laugh:

Seriously, & like I always say, per Sly Stone, different strokes for different folks, I love the Count Yorga movies. Robert Quarry made an excellent vampire; arch, arrogant, & filled with the hubris that eternal life seems to bring to these creatures. I think the sequel is even a bit better than the first, with the savage attack by the vampires on the family very Manson family like, & the overall pacing is better.

Jimi Bat likes this.
  12. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Any love for Willem Defoe as Nosferatu ?

Michael and finslaw like this.
  13. Bluesman Mark

There is, & he's been mentioned several times in this thread. The prevailing line of thought is that though he's excellent in the role, he wasn't Dracula playing Dracula, but a vampire playing Dracula, & therein lies the difference. Kinda like my detour in defense of Count Yorga just a few moments ago. ;)

Very good movie though & a great performance by Dafoe.

14. Bluesman Mark

One thing I find interesting, no matter who we vote for as our favorite Dracula, is that once you move past the now cliched vision of Lugosi, is how the different & best actors have offered wonderful interpretations of the role.

Lugosi is the default version of course, & rightly so, but Schreck & Kinski brought a hideous vision of the character to "life", (& in Kinski's case, a superbly world weary viewpoint, one wonders how many centuries he's roamed the world), along with the plague analogy inherent in both roles. Lee was the most feral & fearsome, Palance was also world weary, & a tortured soul in addition to that. Jourdan captured the suaveness as well as Lugosi did, & Oldman perhaps did best at the romantic longing trapped inside the character.

15. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Willem Dafoe was portraying Count Orlock not Dracula.

Michael likes this.
  16. Bluesman Mark

Technically yes, but in the original Nosferatu, Orlock was Dracula. The names & locations were changed to try to avoid the copyright, which they failed to do. There's a great book by David J. Skal; Hollywood Gothic: The Tangled Web of Dracula from Novel to Stage to Screen, that covers all this in detail.

17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thank you for reminding me of that movie! I haven't watched it in ages and I still have the DVD, so I'll line it up for my Halloween marathon this year.

Murnau's Nosferatu is one of my favourite movies of all time, especially in the horror genre. I used to find it so spooky because it didn't quite look like a movie to me, it was as though I was watching the real thing. The vampire's characterisation is so spot on, the scariest screen vampire ever. Years ago I used to have a VHS with a wonderful solo piano soundtrack, but I know I'll probably never hear that soundtrack again and that makes me sad. I don't even remember who was the player or composer.

Anyway... Due to my sick love of the old Nosferatu, when I learnt about Shadow Of The Vampire I knew I just had to go watch it at the cinema. I was looking forward to it so much, but then I got very disappointed watching it. I was expecting something like a dramatisation of the whole creation of the original movie, a sort of "making-of", but it wasn't that and I kicked dirt all the way back home. Still, when it sunk in and I accepted the fact that it wasn't what I wanted but something different, I decided to give it another chance. Got the DVD and watched it as though the original Nosferatu had never happened, and watching it that way I could enjoy it.

I want that Orlok coat.

PS.
    I once met a girl from Poland, her surname was Orlak. Coolest surname ever.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  18. Michael

Lee is my not my favorite Dracula...so I'd reverse your choice. ; )

19. Michael

I thought it was brilliant and he has to be the creepiest actor ever! love him! ...always watch any movie he appears in...

ssmith3046 and Bluesman Mark like this.
  20. Michael

Dracula with a different name who were the same...

21. Bluesman Mark

It's almost a tossup for me as to which one's best.

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

Indeed...I'm firm on Jack! : )

23. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Max Shreck and Christopher Lee. The original Nosferatu is incredible for it's time, must have absolutely terrified people.

24. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I don't know if he's the best Dracula, some of the later sequels weren't great, but my fave is Christopher Lee.

Bluesman Mark and Tim S like this.
  25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Bella and Gary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.