Your favorite Japanese band ever?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nick W, Dec 25, 2018.

1. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

2. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Definitely YMO

Relikk and LoveYourLife like this.
  3. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Ah! Les Rallizes Denudes.Never went into a studio to make a record! Also,think I'm right in saying they are the only rock band to have in their line up a bona fide terrorist! Still awaiting that to come up in a pub quiz!

4. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Randomly I just bought a FTB long-sleeved t-shirt online today.
    Fantastic band-- best played loud and on a proper sound system.

nightmoves likes this.
  5. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

6. LoveYourLife

The fairly easily found Japanese mid-priced CD of Hot! Menu sounds perfect.

Paul Rymer likes this.
  7. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Saw Hiromi do a solo piano show in Santa Monica about 8 years ago. Absolutely stunning

8. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Yellow Magic Orchestra. Their first two albums are among the best electronic/synth-pop albums I’ve ever heard. They were way ahead of their time with what they were achieving with synthesizers in the late 70’s. Those albums sound so vibrant and colorful and strike the perfect balance between complex layering and hooky accessibility. They sound fresh and impressive to this day, which is something I can’t say about a lot of 70’s electronic bands.

9. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

I was always partial to Loudness, then this band, EZO, became one of my favorite "metal" listens in mid to late 80's.
    Kiss of Fire song was so cool! First full album released here stateside in 1987, then follow-up album, 1989 Fire Fire
    [​IMG]

Fire Fire
    [​IMG]

VH3FAN likes this.
  10. Omron

Omron Forum Resident

After rolling though this thread I get it why The Yellow Magic Orchestra are so loved in the U.K.
    And why so many English bands and artists have been so loved in Japan for over 40 years

11. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Ghost

deege3000 and jupiterboy like this.
  12. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Golden Cups
    I don't know about "all time" but they were first I heard from Japan because this song was on Pebbles vol. 12. Freak out!

LoveYourLife likes this.
  13. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

I think they were the first Japanese band to be heavily promoted in the UK, and they toured twice. This was before my time but they kept on being namechecked by 80s and 90s electronic acts so people were inclined to check them out. Things like The Tube special helped as all but one of the acts featured were connected to them. Even later acts like Deee-lite and Pizzicato Five were connected to them closely - in fact very few Japanese acts actually promoted in the UK don't have a link to them. Even Plastics, who were critical of the technopop scene ended up working with them on solo projects. They are probably the closest thing Japan had to The Beatles in terms of influence. Commercial success not so much. They were big in Japan but not as successful in terms of numbers as The Beatles were in the UK.

Jason W likes this.
  14. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Melt-Banana.

(noodles and Rovo are two way tie for second place.)

crazy eights, gd0 and mr.datsun like this.
  16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yep, Shonen Knife and it ain't close. Was Tomita a "band?" Love him, too.

Triffid likes this.
  17. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I listen to The Plastics and Sheena & The Rokkets more often than anyone else from there.

LoveYourLife likes this.
  18. LoveYourLife

I like this version; never heard it before although I'm aware of the band. Are you sure it's on Pebbles 12? I'm pretty sure I have that comp but don't recall hearing this. Freak out indeed though.

barryalan likes this.
  19. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

With all due respect, I don't like that idea at all. Not one bit. I'll take the Knife all day long.

20. LucaB

LucaB Forum Resident

High rise

21. Omron

Omron Forum Resident

I think the Korean K Pop boy band is probably bigger than any real musical instrument playing and singing artist or band on the planet right now.

22. Foreign Object

Foreign Object Forum Resident

Haven't seen these guys mentioned but I can't stop listening to them lately.

Also love Haruomi Hosono and Miharu Koshi
    Shonen Knife

23. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Yes you are correct! it is on Pebbles vol. 14, I was going by memory...I knew it was on one of the two volumes that RK Sloane did cover art for, at least! Sorry 'bought that and glad you enjoyed it.
    [​IMG]

LoveYourLife likes this.
  24. old school

old school Senior Member

Outer Limits, Gerard, Bi-Kyo-Ran and Cosmos Factory. Can’t go wrong with any of their albums.

25. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Lately, Mono.

AlmanacZinger likes this.