Your Favorite Low-Power 70's Receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by leahy, Apr 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

The only issue going forward is that these receivers are OLD, and will in most cases require a full restoration to sound their best.

jeff

2. leahy

leahy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm coming off of modern equipment, both tube and solid-state, and I'm getting ready for this new phase by reading, watching Youtube videos, and collecting the necessary gear to DIY needed maintenance. I have put together kits in the past (Bottlehead/Audio Note Kit 1/Welborne Labs), but that's just following directions for a simple tube circuit. Troubleshooting solid state is another world, but I'm up for giving it a shot. Trying to decide if I want to purchase a scope, and which one if I do...

RogerB likes this.
  3. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

My first real stereo included a Sansui 661 and I loved that receiver. Incredibly well built and accurate IMO.

Gave it to my father when I bought a high power JVC receiver in 1980. Ended up getting thrown out I think. Still regret not hanging on to it but back then who knew?

hi_watt and leahy like this.
  4. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

My Marantz 2225

5. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

This was my primary music source for 15 years. It now is used primarily for TV audio.

[​IMG]

6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Sounds like you're good to go. Just fine a unit that's in good condition, and that still works with just minimal issues like noisy switches etc.

jeff

leahy likes this.
  7. Blusmbl

Blusmbl Well-Known Member

I have a 2270 that I adore, and know a few people with lower power Marantz receivers, all are happy with them. I would think you could find a 222x or 223x for your $400-ish price tag. Not sure how legit this one is, found it after about 3 seconds of craiglisting:

Vintage Marantz reciever

hi_watt and leahy like this.
  8. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Higher power amps might have a more striking sound because they can deliver the extremes without running out of power instead of making music sound softer. I find most of those Marantz and Pioneer from the 70's big or small sound very sweet anyway.

High power to me is very important even when you don't use it all. In my opinion it gives you more clarity and better dynamic range but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy the sound of a smaller receiver, there is plenty of good secondhand 1970's equipment waiting for a good home. If you are going to use a pair of single driver speakers probably it won't matter what you connect to them. They won't sound harsh as I think some tweeters are mostly to blame for any harshness in equipment.

leahy likes this.
  9. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

You're welcome.

10. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

What he said. A great sounding unit.
    [​IMG]

Jam757, Fiddlefye, Adeep and 3 others like this.
  11. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

leahy likes this.
  12. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Harmon Kardon 430. An absolute classic. Every time I think of it I kick myself for not buying one forty years ago.

WapatoWolf and leahy like this.
  13. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

Harman Kardon 430. For sure. My first integrated amp. Purchased in 1975.
    Listened to my 430 tonight. Great piece. Preferred over the other 2 twin powered receivers at the time. The 730 and 930.
    Only 25 watts, needs efficient speakers, but what a sound!

WapatoWolf likes this.
  14. leahy

Great looking receiver!
    That's a lot of votes for the 430 - I'm seeing a pretty strong trend. Thanks for the reply!

WapatoWolf and rockin_since_58 like this.
  15. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I’ve not heard an A model. If you do a search on the internet, you’ll see a lot of good things about the X series. It has a warmer sound compared to most SS receivers from the 70’s. I’d be surprised if you didn’t like the sound.

leahy likes this.
  16. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Well I guess my first receiver that I saved for, Sansui 5050. With klh 317 ? speakers and a Garrard/pickering vinyl setup. I have an 8mm with sound 3 minute film of it playing Walter Murphy's " A fifth of Beethoven " and "Cry baby,Cry" Beatles, from my Kenwood kx620 cassette deck. It all sounded good but can hear the " sizzle" that SS electronics made then.
    Id go back to those times in a NY minute, sizzle and all, if possible. From their the rollercoaster ride started. John M.

leahy likes this.
  17. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

My favourite?

The Nytech CTA252

[​IMG]

CTA (calculator, tuner, amplifier) 25W. Classic, British design.

I had one of these without the amplifier CTP102 (calculator, tuner, pre-amp), which paired with the 602 (60) power amp. This was an upgrade from a NAD 3020B.

They sold around 30,000 of the receivers, The tuner was FM only and the tuning dials for the pre-sets, were under that pull down flap.

You see some for sale, but would probably require some TLC.

18. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Sansui 2000X. It will need some transistors replaced that are notoriously bad at this point. I bought a cosmetic beauty and invested in a total overhaul which at the end of the day cost me $625. You can probably do better price-wise but I never regret this investment. EVER.

19. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Pioneer SX series. Just keep in mind that the later in the 1970s you go with these, the less warm (tube-like?) the sound. Not necessarily a bad thing either.

20. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Yes! I found mine in a dump while dropping stuff off. Spent maybe $80 in tuning it up and is my living room running the audio from the TV and my Revox. The loudness button is a nice touch for having music on in the background. I’ve not tried the phono section on it and would get that looked at before hooking up a TT.

leahy and Wally Swift like this.
  21. Wally Swift

It is a particularly good Loudness switch. It creates a really nice, full bodied lush sound at low volumes. Perfect for listening to mellow female vocalists at 3:00am. The tuner is also really great on this I just wish there was something on the radio to listen to! I have a modded SL1200MKII connected to mine with a capacitance loading kit to fine tune the sound and I love it. All around a great, keeper receiver!

leahy likes this.
  22. Wally Swift

Another +1 for this. In addition to my 2000X with it's warm tube like sound I also have a late 70's Pioneer SX-880 in near mint condition. Very different sounding than the Sansui for sure. I need both of these actually! Keep in mind that the XX80 Pioneers up to and including the SX-780 had these "darlington" power pack modules that are unobtainable now except for crappy Chinese knockoffs that suck. So you might want to stick with the SX-880 and higher or go for the XX50 series instead.

leahy likes this.
  23. Wally Swift

2000X;

[​IMG]

SX-880

[​IMG]

Fender Relic, hi_watt, jek57 and 3 others like this.
  24. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I had a friend in school with a Sherwood tube receiver, some AR-3 speakers, and an Empire table. The combination was awfully nice.

leahy likes this.
  25. leahy

This one is new to me - love the era look!

Randoms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.