Your favorite music from 1700-1749

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terrapin Station, Apr 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns Thread Starter

You don't have to post a big list all at once. Just add some favorite tunes/pieces whenever you think of them.

Since we have a lot of audiophiles on the board, feel free to recommend some of your favorite recordings of the music you list.

2. Terrapin Station

I'm not sure of the exact date of this one, but I'm pretty sure it's from the early 18th century (the other possibility with Pollarolo is that it's from the late 17th century):

Carlo Francesco Pollarolo - Sonata I in re minore {aka Sonata per organo o cembalo}

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Five ‘til six pm is when I have tea, so the news is usually on. Especially since Blue Peter went to the children’s channel. :cool:

The only thing I have in that period is Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. I was told it was a good piece of music to relax to. And it is. I found a copy for three quid. Someone had put a sticker on them, Mr & Mrs R.S. Hughes from Liverpool & phone number! There was a few of similar ilk. Picked Beethoven & Mozart too. Makes for a nice change every so often.

4. Trenwell

Trenwell Forum Resident

St. Matthew Passion is one for me. All nearly three hours of it. Although I do sometimes need a nap about halfway through. (Oh who am I kidding, I need one every time).

Terrapin Station and speedracer like this.
  5. futureinreverse

futureinreverse Forum Resident

Best era of the Stones.

tonyc, ODIrony, Mark J and 2 others like this.
  6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Terrapin Station likes this.
  7. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Indian classical Khyal was one of the great music developments of that period, late 17th early 18th century.

Raag Bageshree

8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

J.S. Bach is the main guy, also Antonio Lucio Vivaldi, some G. Frideric Handel.

sharedon and Terrapin Station like this.
  9. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

I agree. And it contains one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed by anyone imo: "Erbarme dich, mein Gott". Six minutes of absolute heaven.

10. Trenwell

Trenwell Forum Resident

Absolutely beautiful. There's so much to rediscover every time I immerse myself in this.

11. Johann Joachim Quantz ~ Rated highly, but not a name you hear everyday compared to the more heavy hitters. But for pure melody, it's difficult to go wrong with any of his works. He fits your required time period. This is ear-worm stuff.

12. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 538
    Bach - Keyboard Concerto No. 3 in D Major, BWV 1054
    Scarlatti - Sonatas for Keyboard in D minor K-516 & K-517

Vivaldi - Four Seasons
    Vivaldi - Lute Concerto in D major, RV 93

13. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Right now I'm listening to Trio Sonata No. 2 of Jan Dismas Zelenka, a Czech baroque composer. He completed his set of 6 Trio Sonatas in 1716:

14. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like Handel but I need to find more of his music to listen to ...

15. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

I'm a huge Vivaldi fan - the Naïve label has a massive Vivaldi project with so many great releases, most of which are on Tidal. Also pretty much anything by Albinoni, Locatelli, Corelli, Leclair.

16. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

As a complete ignoramus about classical music, I always enjoyed this very popular piece by Bach. I used to think it was similar to Brian Wilson’s Pet Sounds and Smile songs.

17. Terrapin Station

Giovanni Battista Pergolesi - Antifona “In caelestibus regnis” (or "in coelestibus regnis") (1731)

[​IMG]

18. Terrapin Station

Second part:

19. Terrapin Station

Antonio Caldara - "Fortuna e speranza" from his opera Nitocri (1722)

This is the only piece I'm really familiar with from Nitocri, and I'm familiar only via the recording I'm linking to. As far as I know, the full opera has never been recorded, and I've only heard a couple other pieces from it.

The above (Cecilia & Sol - Dolce Duello [Decca 483 2473] from 2017) is a great album that also features pieces from Albinoni, Gabrielli, Vivaldi, Handel, Porpora and Boccherini.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  20. Terrapin Station

Johann Sebastian Bach - Cantata: Wie schön leuchtet der Morgenstern (Annunciation) BWV 1 (1725)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.