Your favorite music from 1750 - 1799

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terrapin Station, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns Thread Starter

You don't have to post a big list all at once. Just add some favorite tunes/pieces whenever you think of them.

Since we have a lot of audiophiles on the board, feel free to recommend some of your favorite recordings of the music you list.

2. Terrapin Station

Domenico Scarlatti - Salve Regina, motet for soprano, strings & continuo in A major (1756)

This is one of a few different versions of the Salve Regina by Scarlatti. This was written shortly prior to Scarlatti's death.

It's broken up on youtube, which is unfortunate because the whole is relatively short, but here's the first movement:

[​IMG]

William Smart and Jamsterdammer like this.
  3. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Anything by Mozart, really. So let's go for his Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major, also known as "Eine kleine Nachtmusik":

a customer and Terrapin Station like this.
  4. Jamsterdammer

Composed in 1797, here is Joseph Haydn's famous "Kaiser" String Quartet in C Major of which the melody became the national anthem of Germany!

5. Terrapin Station

Elisbetta de Gambarini - Harpsichord Sonata No. 5 in C major

I'm not entirely sure of the date of this one, but I'm guessing it's post 1749, as I believe that's when most of de Gambarini's pieces were composed (she was born in 1731, and died young in 1765).

[​IMG]

6. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I had a late dear friend who was a big of fan of Mozart like how others are big fans of the Beatles, Stones, etc. His license plate read "MOZART". He's gone over a decade now & I think of him every time I hear Mozart.

7. Jamsterdammer

Thanks for sharing. I hope you can nevertheless enjoy his music, as it is truly brilliant.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  8. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I do enjoy Mozart very much. I just also like to remember my late friend who was a bit of a character.

9. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Gorgeous brother, stunning

Terrapin Station likes this.
  10. Terrapin Station

Giovanni Battista Gervasio - Sonata in Re maggiore

Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure which sonata of his in D major this is re opus numbers (there are a number of different ones) and I'm not sure of the exact date (though I'm fairly certain it's 1750-1799), but this is the one found at the end of the Carlo Aonzo & Elena Buttiero Il Mandolino Italiano nel Settecento album on the Devega label (as I've linked to here re the youtube upload):

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.