Your favorite music from the 1830s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terrapin Station, Mar 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns Thread Starter

You don't have to post a big list all at once. Just add some favorite tunes/pieces whenever you think of them.

Since we have a lot of audiophiles on the board, feel free to recommend some of your favorite recordings of the music you list.

2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns Thread Starter

Hector Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique

3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Certainly I am no expert in this era, but Chopin seems to be the highlight for me, and my limited knowledge

Piano Concerto No.1

Revolutionary Etude - aside from the technically brilliant playing required, for this track, it also has a remarkable melody and such dramatic flair it just grabs the attention. I also think Muse used this intro as the basis for Space Dementia

Pollini plays Chopin Etude Op.10 No.12 'Revolutionary'

5. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Forum Resident

As for 1830s pop songs, "Turkey in the Straw" has to be right up near the top.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  6. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

The 1830s. Right, so just after half past 6PM. - I am currently listening to Revolver. That one is pretty good...

I'll get my coat..!

ThunderDan and Chemguy like this.
  7. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Forum Resident

After reading the thread title, I never thought of classical music, perhaps because I have seldom heard of it being grouped by decade...unless we are talking about rather recent classical music.

ThunderDan likes this.
  8. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Madonna's golden years

bluesky and majorlance like this.
  9. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Yep.

My first thought was Stephen Foster, but it turns out that "Oh Susanna!" didn't appear until the late 1840s, and Foster didn't really hit his stride until the 1850s.

10. majorlance

The Stones, too...

Interpolantics likes this.
  11. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Mendelssohn Symphony # 5
    Chopin Piano Concerto # 1

12. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

At least no chance of the Beatles sneaking into this thread.
    More to the point. Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique is mentioned above but a few years earlier he had introduced Harold en Italie which is also great

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Actually Harold in Italy was written a few years later, in 1834 in fact.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  14. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

This wonderful piece was 1830

15. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

The 1830s are a good period for Donizetti and Bellini.
    Donizetti produced the likes of Anna Bolena, L'Elisir D'Amore, Lucia Di Lammermoor. He wrote a helluva lot.
    Bellini wrote La Sonnambula, Norma, I Puritani. All great. He wrote little.

I'll try not to flood the thread so here's that memorable moment from Lucia.

Terrapin Station and starduster like this.
  16. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I think Chopin could do absolutely no wrong but his Piano Concerto gets criticised for being kinda poorly orchestrated, and it kinda is, but it's amazing to me how much the piano transcends that and makes it a work of sublime beauty anyway - I think it deserves to stand up there with other great piano concertos.

That said, I think the sonata with the famous funeral march is even better.

17. JoeOnWheels

JoeOnWheels Forum Resident

The song from the 1830's I've sung the most (and will continue to sing) is Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

I like the Ballade in G minor, but I'll give the edge to Op. 31: Scherzo No. 2 in B-flat minor.

19. mark winstanley

I didn't know it was from then. Cheers
    It isn't Charlie Parker, Zappa or Rush, but everyone knows it :)

20. majorlance

You just did. :tiphat:

21. majorlance

Kinda partial to this one, myself.
    (And yes, I know it's not from the 1830s!)

JoeOnWheels and mark winstanley like this.
  22. mark winstanley

This thread has made me look to see what else was going on in the 1830's ....

This is interesting
    1831 -
    - American copyright law recognizes music "as a form of culture that required systemic protection".
    - Elizabeth Austin, an English singing star, stars in the premier of Michael Rophino Lacy's Cinderella, or the Fairy and the Little Glass Slipper, which made her a household name across much of the United States.

- Lorenzo Da Ponte and others back the building of New York City's first opera house.
    - Lowell Mason and George James Webb found the Boston Academy of Music, which would teach both secular and religious music. This is the first music pedagogical institution in the country.

- Thomas Dodworth begins using only brass instruments to play lead lines, the beginning of the modern brass band.

- The Boston Brass Band, led by Ned Kendall, becomes the first all-brass band in the United States.
    - William Walker's The Southern Harmony is published in New Haven, Connecticut, and compiled in Spartanburg, South Carolina. It became one of the most popular tunebooks of the mid-19th century, and had a lasting influence on shape note singing.

- Music education is first introduced into the public school system of New York City.
    - Lowell Mason's Manual of the Boston Academy of Music is published, becoming the most oft-used music instruction book of the era.

- Lowell Mason begins teaching singing, without pay, in Boston's public schools, becoming the first to teach music there. The local school board had already authorized the teaching of music, but hadn't allocated any funds for the subject. Mason's volunteer teaching constitutes the beginning of music education in American public schools. Later in the year, music is introduced to the public school system of Buffalo, New York.
    - African American ensemble Francis Johnson's Orchestra becomes the first American group to travel to Europe
    - The first sheet music with a full color illustrated front cover is published.

- Encouraged by the success of Lowell Mason's experiment in volunteer singing instruction, the Boston school board declares music a school subject and hires Mason as Superintendent of Music.[49] Mason is the first person in the country to serve in that position for a public school system.[81] This is the beginning of music education in public schools in the United States.

- William Henry Harrison's presidential campaign becomes the first to use music and campaign songs as an integral part of its strategy.

It looks like the 1830's was a very important decade for music in the USA.
    Interesting stuff. Cheers Terrapin, I would have never known any of that.

23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The Freewheelin’ Fredric Chopin

mark winstanley likes this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I wonder how people "warmed up" on the piano before Stephen Foster!

25. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

100 years later was The Delta Blues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.