Your favorite music from the 1870s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terrapin Station, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns Thread Starter

You don't have to post a big list all at once. Just add some favorite tunes/pieces whenever you think of them.

Since we have a lot of audiophiles on the board, feel free to recommend some of your favorite recordings of the music you list.

2. Terrapin Station

Camille Saint-Saens - Le Timbre d'argent
    This should perhaps go under the 1860s, as that was when it was composed, but I chose to go with the premiere date/publication date, which was not until 1877.

The recording in the above youtube clip is the only recording of this opera that I'm familiar with (which means that I hadn't heard this work until 2020):

[​IMG]

3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Brahms Symphony No. 1 and Symphony No. 2

Love the Bruno Walter SACDs

[​IMG]

4. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Johannes Brahms - Symphony 1, Symphony 2, String Quartet 2, Violin Concerto
    Antonin Dvorak: Violin Concerto, Piano Trio 2, Slavonic Dances
    Alexander Borodin: Symphony 2
    Modest Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition
    Bedrich Smetena: Ma Vlast
    Anton Bruckner: Symphony 4, String Quintet
    Edvard Greig: Peer Gynt

Terrapin Station likes this.
  5. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

• Siegfried's Funeral March. Richard Wagner - Götterdämmerung - August 1876
    • Onward, Christian Soldiers. w., Sabine Baring-Gould. m., Sir Arthur Sullivan. London: Novello & Co. [1871]. (Published as a supplement to the "Musical Times," London, December, 1871.)
    • [Silent Night! Holy Night!] Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht! German words, Joseph Mohr. m., Franz Gruber. (Translation reprinted in William Reed Huntington, "The Church Porch; a Service Book and Hymnal for Sunday Schools," E. P. Dutton & Co., cop. 1874, No. 42).
    • I Need Thee Every Hour. Hymn. w., Annie S. Hawks. m., Rev. Robert Lowry. Cop. 1872 by Robert Lowry.
    • I Love to Tell the Story. Hymn. w., Catherine Hankey. m., W[illiam] G. Fischer. Cincinnati: John Church & Co. [cop. 1874] (in: Philip Paul Bliss, "Gospel Songs," p. 42).
    • It Is Well with My Soul. Hymn. w., H. C. Spafford. m., Paul P. Bliss. Cincinnati: John Church & Co., cop. 1876.
    • What a Friend We Have in Jesus. Hymn. w., Horatius Bonar. m., Charles Crozat Converse. The Biglow & Main Co., cop. 1876 (In: Philip Paul Bliss and Ira David Sankey, "Gospel Hymns No. 2," p. 59).
    • Tell Me the Old, Old Story. Hymn. w., Catherine Hankey. m., William H[oward] Doane. London: Morgan and Scott [1878?] (in: Ira David Sankey, "Sacred Songs and Solos," p. 18-19).

6. Terrapin Station

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - The Tempest (symphonic fantasia in F minor, after Shakespeare) (1873)

[​IMG]

7. Past Masters

Past Masters Beatles Fanthologist

Swan Lake, especially Acts II and IV have an incredible evocative atmosphere. It gets my imagination going through the dark forests and out onto the misty lake with the moonlight reflecting off of it and all that good stuff.

It's so cinematic, I've always thought there must be a connection between Swan Lake and early film music.

There are so many recordings and I've only heard a half-dozen, but personally I like the Andre Previn one best so far.

8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Brahms - about a dozen compositions.
    Tchaikovsky - a few compositions including Swan Lake
    The Pirates of Penzance
    Aida

9. Terrapin Station

Sergey Taneyev - Symphony No. 1 in E minor (1874)

[​IMG]

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well this is a nice thread for new discoveries!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.