Your favorite record shop in San Francisco?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mattybass, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattybass

mattybass Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

My job is sending me to San Jose for 3 weeks for training. I plan to visit Frisco and do a lot of record shopping. However, I've got maybe only a couple days to make it up there (as far as I know, anyway).

What should be the top shops to hit? To get an idea, I will pretty much listen to anything on vinyl. Since this is practically a paid holiday for me, I wanna check out the best record shops and find some keepers. Can anyone list a few for me?

Pretty sure there's no specific thread on this. :wave:

2. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I think if you search you will find.

1) don't call it Frisco

2) 2 Amoebas, City (Haight) and Berkeley
    3) Rasputin Music (you'll want the Berkeley, and maybe Concord and the City (powell st) Not a lot of vinyl in the city store but sometimes some goodies.

Someone else must know some others. Everything else I know about I never shop at because they're 3x the price of these chains or more. There are creditable stores in the San Jose area, but I've never shopped there. Check the yellow pages when you arrive.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

In San Jose, there's a Rasputins in Campbell, and Streetlights on the drive from Rasputins back to Steven's Creek Blvd. Of course it's great to go up to the City on the weekends, but during the week, an evening at either store will be an adventure. Both stores have pretty diverse collections and complement each other.

4. mattybass

Right on, thanks for the tips. I've checked out the Yellow Pages online and Rasputin was on my list. Thanks for the input!

San Jose will definitely be easier to shop around, going to check both of those stores out.

5. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

I'll echo the others, and mention Amoeba and Rasputin in S.F. and Berkeley, and Streetlight Records in San Jose. There's also Aquarius Records in S.F. and across the bay in El Cerrito is Mod Lang. South of S.F. in San Mateo is a store called Vinyl Solution.

Marshall

My list of the top five music videos by George Harrison (not spam!):
    http://marshfish.hubpages.com/hub/The-top-five-music-videos-by-George-Harrison

and

Five classic U.S> TV shows still unavailable on home video (no spam!):
    http://marshfish.hubpages.com/hub/Five-classic-US-TV-shows-still-unavailable-on-home-video

6. bitman

bitman New Member

Try Jack's Record Cellar in SF...A guy name Wade Wright runs it

David

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

:laugh: We say that, but nobody really cares.

Yup.

The prices are what they are. SF is an expensive place to live. And vinyl supplies only dwindle over time.

That said, stuff can be found at...

Grooves - all genres, substantial stock
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/grooves-inspiralled-vinyl-san-francisco#query:record stores

Shaxul Records - metal; across the street from Amoeba
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/shaxul-records-san-francisco#query:record stores

Recycled Records - all genres, 6 blocks down the street from Amoeba
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/recycled-records-san-francisco#query:record stores

Aquarius Records - everything but classic rock, in the Mission
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/aquarius-records-san-francisco#query:record stores

Jack's Record Cellar - jazz, lotsa old shellac, worth a visit, appointment only
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/jacks-record-cellar-san-francisco#query:record stores

These are the biggest and liveliest, and may be best suited for someone visiting on a tight schedule. If you've got time on your hands, check the Yelp page for SF record stores; there are a fat handful of smaller fun-to-browse stores that may yield treasure.
    http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=record+stores&find_loc=San+Francisco,+CA

Enjoy your stay.

8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

More than likely you'll find Jack's manned by Roy Loney, founding member of the Flamin' Groovies. Affable and knowledgeable.

9. CDix

CDix Active Member

I visit SF far too infrequently but when last there was absolutely floored by Amoeba in the Haight- it's HUGE (if heard right used to be a bowling alley?). BTW, for me good record stores and bookstores go hand in hand and Haight Street Books is hard to beat- when there I found author autographed copies of both Ralph Steadman and Anita Thompsons memoirs of Hunter S Thompson and of Lisa Law's great "Flashing on the 60s" photo book.

10. mattybass

That is very true. The best record shop I've been to is Salt Spring Sound. They're on Salt Spring Island in the BC Gulf... Nice little combination record and book shop, found some nice stuff there.

It sounds like a unanimous vote for Jack's Cellar. I think I'm going to try and work in an appointment, hopefully find some nice jazz to take back North. I'm going to have to bring a suitcase strictly for my haul.

11. fiftyfivefilms

fiftyfivefilms Forum Resident

Down home Music in El Cerrito!...After doing Berkeley hit this ...big room of used vinyl and the uber knowledgeable staff....and if you want Arhoolie titles..baby this is the source...
    and don't forget Daves Records in Berkeley for Jazz title's....

12. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Seriously? Whoa, I've never been there. Maybe I can find a copy of Slow Death and get it signed.

As a tourist, both Amoebas blew me away. Definitely hit them up. I think any fan of record stores would be pretty amazed to behold the SF or LA ones. The Berkeley one is not too shabby, but it's much smaller. Their biggest problem is turnover- when I was going weekly for a while there just wasn't much coming through. Either that or the good stuff sells immediately (they're always crowded). I maybe go every month or so now to one of them and there's stuff in the new arrivals bins (SF) that has been there for like 4 months. Prices are generally no great bargain - you can find some great deals on VG stuff in the clearance bins though.

Oh yeah, and like 80 people work there. Based on my past experience as a record store employee, it's probably a minor miracle anything decent gets out there at all. Last cool thing I found there was a 70s Japanese VU and Nico for $10-15. Definitely a good sounding pressing. Always cool (and expensive) stuff on the walls. Used CDs here are plentiful (they have a warehouse in Oakland full of stock to rotate in) and the prices can definitely be right. Have to spend more time looking at CDs next time.

Hows your tolerance for dreadlocked homeless people and bodily fluids on the sidewalk? Both Amoebas are on pretty foul ends of their respective streets (SF one is considered in 'junkietown'), touristy during the daytime but can be dodgy after dark- use caution at night.

BTW, what is Haight Street Books? The only bookshop I know of on Haight near Amoeba is Booksmith, which is a pretty decent shop.

Recycled records is just redundant- full of typical, common stuff, way high prices. The Rasputin in Berkeley is pretty good- big basement of vinyl and really close to Amoeba, but the one in the city isn't very good at all, as I recall. It's been a few years. I've never been to Mod Lang, but Vinyl Solution in San Mateo is definitely NOT worth a special drive.

13. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Oh, also, if you're a Bay Area resident definitely sign up for Google Offers, Groupon, and Amoeba's own mail list. They send out $5 off $25 coupons here and there, and there was a great Google offer a couple months ago: $15 for $30 worth of stuff. You could buy 2 of them as well. If you're in the market for a turntable and buy one at Amoeba (they have basic stuff and Music Hall/Rega too) you get $50 of used vinyl for free.

14. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

15. CDix

CDix Active Member

Right-o & thanx, "Booksmith" not just "Books", been awhile and musta got the name muddled with another shop on the street- doh! Good thing it was an aside LOL. Yeah very good shop, IIRC besides the 3 autographed books I got 2-3 others. Between that, Amoeba and a few other spots it was a good safari ;)

16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

+1

Haven’t been there for a couple of years, but I grew up in Redwood City, and every time I go home I waste a couple of hours here and spend about $200 I didn’t plan on blowing. If you’re halfway between San Francisco and San Jose take the Whipple Avenue exit and head down El Camino to this joint.

It’s an old-school vinyl mausoleum with a lot of great stuff. If you can engage the owner and demonstrate you’re serious about buying and know what you’re looking for, he might take you back to look at some of his secret stash where he’s got multiple copies of various classics.

17. chris94010

chris94010 Forum Resident

Definitely visit The Analog Room in San Jose.

18. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

San Jose Rasputin's has a paltry vinyl selection, but def check out Streetlight just down the road on Bascom.

19. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Good advice, here is my 5 cents. If you’re looking for vinyl, most shops know there worth. My current 3 favorite record stores in North Cal would be Amoeba in Berkeley followed by The Last Record Store in Santa Rosa and if you are willing drive even farther The Beat in Sacramento.

Both Amoeba's have great selections that can be hit and miss. (CD's are another thing) There are 7 Rasputin’s in the local counties go for it! Streetlight records in SF, Campbell and Santa Cruz.

The small shops mentioned in the bay area can have some great stuff. The stock is varied so wear your best armor, bring a smart phone for the haggle and realized that their lack of people skills is from being in a sheltered record store for decades. Some are good for an occasional rare find. Check out Yelp.

Most importantly you can sample some of the best food on the planet here. Enjoy your stay.

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Of course - how did I forget to mention Brian Hartsell's shop? Fantastic systems to listen to as well.

21. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

For me...it's called Berkeley.

Amoeba in Berkeley is a great one. Telegraph Avenue. But...I haven't been there for 15 years so I really don't know the scene anymore.

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Most importantly, if visiting Amoeba or Rasputin (all locations), is to carry a pack of wet wipes: your fingers will be black after rifling through the CDs!!

If you do make it over to Berserkeley, don't rush to buy, as Amoeba and Rasputin are a block apart, so you can compare prices. It's important to reiterate that vinyl and genres like jazz, folk and classical are downstairs at Berkeley Rasputin, and World/reggae (if I remember correctly) is upstairs.

23. mattybass

Wow thanks everyone for all the suggestions... This is going to be a nightmare for me deciding what vinyl to bring back. I'm planning on packing VERY lightly so that I can bring back as much vinyl as humanly possible on the plane. Luckily a three-week stint means the airline will be kinder to me for luggage weight. I'm going to need a small loan by the sounds of it.

24. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Excellent shop specializing in R&B and girl groups. Super knowledgeable owner, several listening stations, fun atmosphere:

Rooky's Records
    448 Haight St.
    San Francisco, CA 94117
    415-831-1200

25. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I agree that both Amoebas in SF and Berkeley are worth checking out. I wouldn't waste time with any of the Rasputins locations, except for their flagship store in Berkeley. Even then, I think Amoeba is much better.

For an expansive collection of more difficult to find vinyl (from all genres of rock to jazz to blues, etc.) , go to the Record Man in Redwood City (on El Camino Real). But beware - they don't have prices on their records, and they've gotten into the deplorable habit of looking up the prices on ebay and using those when they ring you up. Be prepared to haggle, but also be prepared for them to not be willing to haggle very much. Your experience can vary wildly depending on who rings you up. Still, it's a fun store to look through. I always find at least one LP there that I can't find anywhere else.

Also possibly worth checking out - 101 Music in San Francisco's North Beach, both the Green St. location (with the crazy basement packed with vinyl - most of which is dollar bin crap, but I've found numerous rare gems there over the years), and the smaller store around the corner on Grant.

Groove Yard in Oakland is a good place for jazz vinyl. Arguably a better jazz selection than what you'd typically find at Amoeba or Rasputins, but pricier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.