Your favorite songs with ringing, chiming guitars

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dgsinner, Dec 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Eddie Cochran - "Summertime Blues"

(particularly the version on the so-great-it's-scary Rhino CD3 single...) :)

-Kevin

2. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Getting Better - The Beatles.

Particularly the end bit.

Also, if we added "jangling" to the thread title, I'd vote for a few Roy Wood/Move songs, especially Tonight.

3. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

"Listen to Her Heart" - Tom Petty
    "Cynical Girl" - Marshall Crenshaw
    "There She Goes"- The La's
    "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" - The Rubinoos
    "Starry Eyes" - The Records
    "What I Like About You" - The Romantics
    "Girl of My Dreams" - Bram Tchaikovsky
    "I Thought You Wanted to Know" - Chris Stamey & the dB's

4. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Hello Moby,
    Although Dave is correct about the harpsichord, however it could be a blend of both that and a 12 string at the end.

I just wanted to say that your statement about playing an arpeggio on a keyboard is not the same. This would be true if we were talking about a piano where the keys strike the piano strings on it soundboard. But with a Harpsichord the srings are actually plucked like that of a guitar with a plectrum or pick would be.

Hence, the sound does blend nicely with a double stringed acoustic insturment that could even be a mandolin or lute or the 12 string guitar in this case :)

5. Beatle Terr

6. Beatle Terr

Re: Re: Your favorite songs with ringing, chiming guitars

I must say as I do agree to loving those electric 12 string riffs that as you might refer to the lyric in Tambourine Man that Jingle Jangle. :)

It is on record that it wasn't until Roger heard and saw George Harrison playing the Rickenbacher 12 Electric guitar that he realized that he had to have one. So I'd kind of say he got his insperation like others from all those great cool and yet mostly simple riffs that came from many of the Fabs earlier hits on both their 45 hits as well as many used on LP cuts.

7. chrischross

chrischross New Member

Sorry to be increasingly obscure, but Pell Mell's "New Saigon" was the first song which popped into my mind when reading the thread title.

The Byrd's "Bells Of Rhymney" is definitely there as well, but I see that Quentin already covered it.

8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Byrds - Chestnet Mare
    Marshall Crenshaw - Rockin' Around in NYC

John K.

9. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

"I'm On Fire" - Dwight Twilley Band

10. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

"Making Time" - The Creation
    "Tom Tom" - The Creation

11. GP

GP Senior Member

What about the intro to "Wish You Were Here"? Maybe it's just the bad EQ at the beginning, but those chords really do ring and chime.

If someone says that's really a harpsicord then I'm off to the ear doctor....:rolleyes:

12. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Disc one, Concert for George, Anoushka Shankar's sitar masterpiece :love:.

13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

A lot of ringing, chiming guitars on the Stone Roses' first album, but "Waterfall" in particular.

Jim W.

14. Beatle Terr

:rolleyes: relax it's only Sunday!:p

15. Beatle Terr

YEAH BABY....YEAHHHH:cool:

16. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

First one to pop into my mind:

"Under the Milky Way" by The Church - I've used the opening few bars of this to make some very quick system assessments; great overtones and harmonics

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

"Catapult"-R.E.M.
    "When The Spell Is Broken"-Richard Thompson
    "Looking For Lewis & Clark"-The Long Ryders
    "Every Word Means No"-Let's Active

The '80's were a good time for ringing, chmining guitars!

Evan

18. GP

GP Senior Member

Yes: "And You And I". Thinking of Steve Howe ringing out those harmonics in the beginning.

King Crimson's "Book Of Saturday" has some beautiful, ringing electric guitar parts. Quiet though. :edthumbs:

19. Beatle Terr

YES - Starship Trooper guitar riff another Steve Howe goody!:thumbsup:

It's just an Gibson ES-175 Guitar playing that.:D

It has that harpsichord effect sound on it though;) ;) ;)

20. GP

GP Senior Member

I was listening to Nursery Cryme today, and there are probably at least three or four tracks that would be relevant to this dicussion. Then again, there's a lot of that going on with classic Genesis.

Although this subject has been closed a long time ago, I couldn't resist....

I picked up a copy of Guitar Legends today, featuring a Led Zep retrospective, with reprints of about five interviews with Page from the last decade. There is a brief discussion about the making of "Over The Hills And Far Away" reprinted from an interview in 1991. Page describes how the electric guitar which seems to follow the acoustic in the cut was actually edited out of the beginning, yet it was played all the way through. Then I came upon this:

GW: How did you arrive at those soft guitar figures at the end?

Page: You mean where it fades out? That's the echo return. There's no send on there, just the return.

Guitar World goes on to ask about the lap steel during the descending part at the very end, but there is no mention of a harpsicord...anywhere.

Then I looked at the transcription. Those gentle figures in the outro are transcribed, and the instrument is described as "elec. 12-string w/heavy reverb" and "reverb return only (no "dry" signal)". Again, no harpsicord mentioned.

What am I missing?:confused:

21. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

A couple other Marshall Crenshaw songs were mentioned, but I have to mention the song that came closest to being a hit (it nosed into the lower reaches of the top 40) -- "Someday, Someway."

22. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I don't think anyone has mentioned this one yet:

"Best Friend"-The English Beat

Great 12 string electric guitar figure on this provides the hook of this song. From their first(IMHO, best) album "I Just Can't Stop It".

23. Beatle Terr

I haven't listened to that in years. Dave mentioned that it was a harpsichord. I do have the Page Remix's of the Zep stuff and it has tons of stuff that wasn't heard on the original LP or CD releases.
    He may have meant that it's on one of those remix versions. Again, I don't know. All I was tried to explain was though a piano keyboard looks the same as a harpsichords only that a real harpsichord's Strings are plucked somewhat that of a guitar being fingerpicked or just flat picked ala plectrum.

Though as I recall from the original Atlantic vinyl LP it just sound like a double stringed instrument mainly a 12 string guitar that had a slap back echo effect on it that as a note was picked it sounded like an echo of 3 more notes were being played.

So instead of just hearing a single quarter note you would hear a string of 4 sixteenth notes and then as another note was picked, the echo effect would bounce around harmonizing with the other notes being picked at the same time.

I hope that you play guitar so you understand with the proper settings of an effects echo unit this can be achieved being played live.

This can also be achieved by using an electric 6 string with a chorus pedal which can give you that same fuller sound as if you were playing a 12 string electric.

Believe me I use it all the time, it has a wonderful sound if used correctly just as if you were in a recording studio and double tracked the same guitar part.

I'm very sorry for the confusion as I only was going on what I thought Dave was saying to be true about a harpsichord! :)

24. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Neil Young - If I Could Have Her Tonight

-George

25. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

That whole album is a chiming guitar clinic-and a very good one! Amazing it only had one minor chart hit--but a good indication that pop music (as generally reflected on the charts) had more or less gone to hell in a ham biscuit.

I would add two of Crenshaw's major influences (and more indirectly, major influences on virtually everything listed here, certainly including the Fabs):

THE EVERLY BROTHERS Wake UP, Little Susie (and the rest of the catalog)

BUDDY HOLLY-Every Day

doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.