Your favorite UK Beatles album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed Bishop, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here Thread Starter

With the influx of new members in the past few months, and our collective obsession with the Fabs, thought I'd throw out the ultimate question: what's your favorite UK Beatles Lp? Obvious, I know, but with hundreds of us going in and out every day, I'm kinda curious what the current mindset is.
    This is a UK format listing, with a few comps thrown in because some members may prefer them. I'm not sticking to CD-only, as a few albums haven't been issued that way, and likely won't be, officially.

Also, I've avoided the later comps, but left a 'miscellaneous comp' choice just in case someone wants to vote for 1:eek: ;)

ED:cool:

2. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

HELP! still does it for me. I obviously like them all including One as well as other comps that are out there. I have about 5 different versions of One and I really have to say the UK or US version is not the version I would normally say I like better. Even the HELP CD I recently got about 4 different versions of that but I have one that is truely outstanding and I mean the BEST EVER! I must find and buy another copy of this version of HELP! in case something was ever to happen to it. But in all honesty, I like the HELP! UK because it has songs that ended up on the US Rubber Soul, and Beatles VI as well as Yesterday and Today. So to me it sort of covers all the songs from the US HELP! Soundtrack LP and the other 3 US LP's. So I feel this one's my favorite for those reasons as well as the sound that it has and the range in music that it delves into! it's a 5 star LP or CD to me!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I'm not a BEATLES fan, but I do like listen to their records sometimes... so I can't talk much about the band, but REVOLVER is my fave. :thumbsup:

4. Ed Bishop

I went with REVOLVER, though it was very, very close. The problem with the Beatles--and a great 'problem' it is--is that they made so many remarkable albums picking one is really tough. Hated to be Draconian about it, but had I put in the multiple choice option, we'd all vote for at least ten albums:D Even now, I can't honestly rank them, except that REVOLVER comes as close to perfection as I can imagine any rock album could be, but then the urge to put WITH THE BEATLES on the TT comes, and...well, you know:rolleyes:

5. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

"Revolver" does it for me as well. "Rubber soul" is a close second.

6. Evan

Evan Senior Member

We're talking mono UK versions right? Because if we are talking stereo versions then I need to change my vote to "Beatles for Sale".

7. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

When I was 2 or 3, dad sat me down in front of the stereo, put some headphones on my head and put The White Album on. "Back In The USSR" started and I immediately peed my pants. I didn't indicate that anything was wrong, I just sat there listening through the four sides of music with soiled pants. When I realised the listening session was over, I notified my parents of my "accident", and thus a family legend was born. Thirty years on, my dad still teases me about that when we listen to that album.

The White Album is the only LP I have had to replace due to excessive wear. So my vote goes to... The White Album.

And yes, "Back In The USSR" still has the same effect on me. ;)

8. "Revolver" it is. The second LP I ever owned was the truncated U.S. mono version, black rainbow Capitol Canada pressing. Got it for Christmas in 1966. Played it a million times. In the mid 1970s I finally picked up the proper U.K. version, stereo pressing and it all made sense. I still kick myself for never buying any mono U.K. LPs at the time but I don't really think the import record shops were carrying them. A recent addition to my record collection is a mid 1970s German pressing of Revolver on the Apple label. It sounds great and has been getting a lot of spins on my new turntable as of late.

After all these years "Revolver" U.K. still ranks as my number 2 album of all time. I've even been toying with moving it to the number 1 position since last year, when I began hanging out here.

My second favourite U.K. album and number 3 of all time is "The Beatles" (White Album).

Attached Files:

9. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I'm with miike. Revolver has always been my favorite, but it's got to be the UK edition with the three Lennon songs missing from the US ... and the "White Album" is in second place for me as well, with the UK Hard Day's Night following closely in third place.

10. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I first heard the Beatles when I was 7, and a friend's older sister played Rubber Soul for me. I was underwhelmed (playing "soldier" was till more important at the time). About a year later I fell in love with the Beatles listening to the US version of Help! And though there are sections or whole sides of albums that I love, Abbey Road is the one I can listen to side after side without ever tiring of it. The UK Help! comes in a close second. Revolver would be fourth on my list.

John K.

11. stever

stever Senior Member

I guess my favorite is, "Rubber Soul," although, "Revolver" and, "A Hard Day's Night" are close seconds. They just created too much great music to name favorites.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The UK Revolver is the greatest and best album of all time.....

13. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I voted for Sgt. Pepper. I listen to it more often than the other Beatles LPs. I'm a big fan of the UK mono edition.

14. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Man, what a tough decision. I'm not sure I actually have a favorite. So, I voted for the one I listen to most,Sgt. Pepper's UK mono version. That's what I christened my new TT with. White Album and Revolver being up next.

15. stever

stever Senior Member

You mono fanatics - are the 80's repressings also a good experience? I'll never be able to justify the price of original mono pressings to myself, much less my wife, for most of their catalog. :)

16. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Yes, 80s pressings use the same stampers and are pretty close to the originals.

17. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

I wish there was one more choice:

[ ] Love all of them! :)

Craig

18. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

My favourite (although it's close with Revolver) would have to be Rubber Soul (Another runner-up would be A Hard Day's Night). RS was the Beatles' most successful mix of artistry and artistic un-self-consciousness IMO.

I guess what proves that it's my favourite is that I've got more copies of this than any other Beatles album, or any other album, for that matter: I've got I've got 7 copies of it: the UK mono "loud" pressing, the regular original UK mono pressing, a UK stereo reissue, a Capitol mono, and 2 Capitol stereo reissues, with both the "wet" and "dry" mixes, plus the CD.

Contrary to some opinions expressed on this form the CD sounds OK to me. The mono UK mix is a better mix though, again IMO, and the 4 Rubber Soul songs on the Compact Disc EP set are my favourite versions of the songs. You can hear Paul's bass lines clearly on "Nowhere Man" and George's bass sounds very funky on "Drive my Car".

This brings me to a question on the EP set. The bass sounds great, but has it been boosted? The bass on the vinyl is not as upfront. Don't get me wring, I'm not complaining about the sound on this set. As has been stated in this forum before if all the Beatles' stuff on CD sounded like this it would be Beatle nirvana.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A HardDay'sNightBeatlesForSaleHelp!

20. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I would have to vote for UK Revolver, but the second side of UK Help might be the best single album side, IMHO.

21. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

While I love every Beatles album, I'm going with The White album (just because it's the longest).

22. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Look at the results. Right now Revolver is ahead by exactly 100 votes. Rubber Soul is 100 behind. Pretty amazing. I thought it would be Sgt. Pepper or Abbey Road.

23. Angel

Angel New Member

Mine is Abbey Road. :love:

24. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I voted for "Help!" since the UK version doesn't have all the soundtrack music on it. I took the poll to mean what LP in the UK configuration is my favo(u)rite not my favorite Beatle LP of all time.

mud-

25. Ed Bishop

Correct you are, Sir! And it's assumed that you're dealing with either mono or stereo editions, as you prefer(me, I'd take both).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.