Your favorite UK Beatles album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed Bishop, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I stand corrected; THAT"S the best Beatles album!

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Ed, both, of course!

mud-:D

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Damn right!

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here Thread Starter

I'll make sure to add that amalgam to next year's poll;) :D

ED:cool:

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

If the survey was Best Beatle album, then they would probably. But, IMHO, the survey is flawed, because we're all plainly skewing to the LPs that DIFFER between the US & UK versions (and this is clearly what the survey is really looking for). The survey should really only include Please, Please Me; With The Beatles; A Hard Days' Night; Beatles For Sale: Help!; Rubber Soul; Revolver; and A Collection Of Beatle Oldies...But Goldies---all the LPs not released in the US in their UK formats (OK---MAYBE Sgt. Pepper too, for the end groove).

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

And Abbey Road, for the inclusion/non-inclusion of "Her Majesty"......

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here Thread Starter

The poll is a strict UK Lp listing, but not designed to skew toward the early albums that don't line up with the US Lp's; that's just the way it seems to be working out, though it's just as possible REVOLVER really is their finest album. That they began to match up as of SGT. PEPPER is irrelevant. All the regular releases have to be listed, no way around it. They're EMI/Apple Corp's standard(with exceptions noted)for the world, so they're in. And anyway, I prefer the US RUBBER SOUL over the UK, always will. If I didn't list the WHITE ALBUM or AR, you'd have people screaming about the poll being skewed and 'flawed.' And they'd be right.

ED:cool:

8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

ALL copies of AR have Her Majesty. It's just that the first pressings don't call it a separate track. It was originally considered as part of The End. I remember being shocked to see LPs listing Her Majesty back in the day.

Then it should have been titled favorite current Beatle LP. Saying UK unnecessarily skews the results. Do you think that Pepper, Abbey Road or The White Album could POSSIBLY place so low if we were NOT misinterpreting the poll?

9. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Oh, OK, I misunderstood the poll slightly, no biggie. But The White Album is still my favourite Beatles UK album. I should have saved my lovely piss story for the Best Beatle album poll, but what the heck, I'll repost if that poll comes up. :D

10. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Well, had that one been on the list that's were my vote would have gone. LOL. However, I think the poll is easily understandable. Which UK version is your favorite.

11. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

'A Hard Day's Night' for its sheer joy and innocence - and all songs written by McCartney-Lennon... ;^)

12. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

I'm surprised Beatles For Sale has more votes than Hard Day's Night. Beatles for Sale is a great album, but Hard Day's Night was an extrordinary achievement...perhaps their best pure and original rock n roll album.

13. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Oh...now this really IS a difficult one to answer. I love them all.

I think I'm going to opt out...my "favourite Beatles album" changes all the time :)

14. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I think your user name and avatar gave that away! :p :p :p

15. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

I thought the same thing. As a matter of fact, I thought I remembered hearing some distortion on the bass in "Michelle" that I'd never heard anywhere else. But Steve said on the recent EP box thread that the tapes were just "mellower" because they were a generation removed. But yeah, I shared your reaction.

I voted for Revolver (like it needed my vote), but my real favorite would be a version of Let It Be with my favorite takes compiled from different sources. And when you do your amalgam poll, I'll go for either RevolverPepper or LetItBeAbbeyRoad.;)

16. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I voted for Rubber Soul but Pepper deserves better!

17. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

My pick had to be the HELP! UK as to what I said about the other songs ending up on our US LP's. But I still can't and probably never will get used to the listing of the UK songs as I still hear the US LP's and there listing of songs. Best of all though is I totally agree with ED on the US Rubber Soul LP, so I freak when I hear '"It's Only Love" on the UK HELP! LP just as much as when I hear Drive My Car starting off the UK Rubber Soul. Ed to me the US Rubber Soul LP just set that different tone of mellow acoustic songs on it which made it so very different at the time of the US version coming out. Especially the stereo version with the false starts on "I'm Looking Through You" give me that version anyday Dextorized or Non Dexorized. And yes of course I love the Mono version too:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.