Your Favorite version of Blade Runner?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Apr 11, 2020.

1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Which of the cuts do you prefer?

2. wayneklein

I’m a fan of the theatrical cut except for the narration. The changes that make it clearer that Deckard is a replicant...I love the improvements/changes made just dislike the push for Deckard as a replicant.

enro99 and Solaris like this.
  3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The Final Cut is my favorite film of all time.

4. wayneklein

There was some minor material (I can’t remember what) that it was cut from the theatrical version that I missed in the Final Cut but I think it was largely an improvement over the theatrical (I hate the narration).

5. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

2049. They really nailed it.

weekendtoy, MC Rag, MRamble and 6 others like this.
  6. wayneklein

I think Phil Dick would have loved the sequel as it dabbles in his themes in a bold and interesting way.

7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I just bought it recently and for the first time, I found Leonard Maltin's review accurate: Visually impressive.....and really boring.

MRamble and thestereofan like this.
  8. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Odd poll, fatally flawed.

Seven different cuts of Blade Runner have been shown over the years, of which five have been released on DVD/BD. We can probably ignore the San Diego preview cut, as it was only ever shown once, theatrically; few, if any, here will have seen it, and fewer still will remember the details with any accuracy.

The versions missing from the poll that people will be familiar with are:

— The workprint cut
    — The international theatrical cut. This is the version I grew up with in the 1980s. It contains several shots of more graphic violence than the U.S. theatrical cut.
    — The final cut. My favourite version, and, I suspect, that of many others.

9. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Final Cut for me although it's still not quite perfect (I would lose the unicorn dream sequence). One of the best films of the decade IMO.

bhazen likes this.
  10. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

I voted for the sequel.

for some reason- even though this material is right in my wheelhouse - I’ve never been able to get into this film (1982). I love the subject matter, enjoy movies with mood and pace and subtle philosophical messaging - but it somehow never connected with me. To me I think the acting was mostly really just too dry to me maybe and the visuals not as gripping as many others feel for either to keep me engrossed. I remember falling asleep in 1982 and many subsequent times over the years. I even went back and read the subject material and found that quite enjoyable. I started the final cut on Netflix recently and was going to give up but I guess I’ll go back to it and finish. I do definitely love the final Rutger Hauer/Roy Batty monologue so I suppose it will be worth it to get to that again if nothing else.

all that said, I was pumped for the sequel, I went and saw it in IMAX, and loved it. On all levels - plot continuity, character acting (Gosling, Ana de Armas, Dave Bautista, Robin Wright, Ford, Sean Young, even Leto and really everyone else), visuals, etc., I think it basically hit out of park. Maybe the “revolution” bit in the third act was a bit forced and rushed and tacked on - I feel that was too much for the film which would have stood on its own without it and with another ending - and the revolution bit could have been a (lame) part 3. But that didn’t stop me from loving 2049. I thought it was great not even mentioning too much the incredible visuals.

I don’t know why it bombed so badly!

edit: I do love the music in the original - I also gotta give it that.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    MC Rag, Simon A, jamesc and 3 others like this.
  11. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

The Final Cut is probably my favorite, though I can't say I dislike any of them. The film is a masterpiece regardless of which version you see. Blade Runner 2049 is one of the very few modern films that has blown me away. I was not expecting them to pull it off and they did!

The novel is also excellent and easily one of Dick's best, which is saying something given the impressive library he created. When I comes to Blade Runner I guess I'm easy to please.:D

12. parman

parman Music Junkie

I had the original on VHS and now the directors cut on DVD. I like it with the narration on

Karnak, ajax25 and CDFanatic like this.
  13. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

The Final Cut.

Though I am very fond of the Workprint version, aside from the fact that it has non Vangelis music in the final reel.

The International Theatrical Cut is also very, very good.

Simon A and CDFanatic like this.
  14. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Theatrical Version. Mainly because my only viewing at the theatre is one of the best moviegoing experiences I've had-cont'd to like the narration-even when watching it on disc.

15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Removing the narration was the best thing they did. So, Directors it is. I did like the International Theatrical version as well but at least one of the violent scenes just seemed exploitative and didn't add anything.

16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'm split between the European theatrical cut and The Final Cut but thanks to 2049 I have to lean to the former.

17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Possibly due to it being the first one I saw, I enjoy the original and I like the voice over fine. I like the Director's Cut okay as well, and would have been mostly okay with the Final Cut if they hadn't changed ****er to father. Minor, I know, but it annoys me something fierce. :)

Old Rusty and Chrome_Head like this.
  18. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Where is the option for 'all of them'?

Doctor Worm, CDFanatic and EVOLVIST like this.
  19. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

The original theatrical cut.

20. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I'd say Director's Cut. But I think suggesting Deckard is a replicant is ridiculous.

21. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

The sequel is much more like the book. In that way, I'm glad they made it.
    As a film, Blade Runner needs no sequel.

22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I haven't compared the different edits but the film I saw
    repeatedly in the theater when it was new remains brilliant.

ubiknik and Chrome_Head like this.
  23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Theatrical cut, or the nearly identical international theatrical cut. Either will do for me.

I first saw it with narration, so any elimination of that feels wrong.

I also prefer the natural color palette on the theatrical cut, and hate the green tint on the newer cuts.

24. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

You forgot the Final Cut which is my preference, though I do kind of like the workprint because it's interesting to watch. I also refuse to accept Deckard as a replicant I think that it's stupid.

Solaris, head_unit and wayneklein like this.
  25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

My favorite is the Final Cut, which I watched again recently around New Years.

My dad had never seen 2049, so I brought the blu ray home when I visited for Christmas, he liked it. I really enjoyed it in the theater, but that’s a film that really improves with each viewing.

As a corollary, the late 90’s PC game added some interesting wrinkles to the original film / novel. You play as another Blade Runner named Ray McCoy, set right around the events of the first film, and you have to administer Voight-Kampf tests to suspects. They even brought several of the actors back to provide voices, and used lots of sounds and music from the film too, very immersive. The game has recently been made available again to purchase for download: Blade Runner (Video Game 1997) - IMDb

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020