Your favorite video game(s)?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by LeBon Bush, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I completely forgot that game until you mentioned it! I used to play it all the time, though I never got to finish the game as I ran out of quarters.

Jimbo91 likes this.
  2. Grunge Master

To me, it's Final Fantasy VII. I'd never seen cutscenes in a video game before that looked that good. And the world was absolutely huge at the time; it wasn't quite sandbox, though it was close.

dobyblue and LeBon Bush like this.
  3. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love Thread Starter

Oh yes, that one sure was a turning point in the series and for gaming as a whole. Coincidentally, I'm playing through this for the very first time right now on the PS Classic - it's an amazing game. The scenario is so immersive and the battle system is actually fun and logical - and don't forget the soundtrack. That beautiful, heavenly soundtrack :angel:

Grunge Master likes this.
  4. Grunge Master

The soundtrack is incredible. I bought the 3 disc (or was it more?) set of it 20 years ago. It's all written in Japanese so I don't know what the songs are called. I do remember it was like 50 bucks! Well worth it though.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  5. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Honestly if they ever did a next gen redo of FFVII I woudl be all over it, so much fun.

6. Grunge Master

You know, they are doing a remastered FFVII. Who knows how long it's going to take, though.

dobyblue likes this.
  7. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

I used to collect and restore arcade machines. Had 10-12 at home at one point. It’s like collecting fridges!
    I’ve still got original Asteroids and Space Invaders machines but am more into pinball currently and have a 1976 Bally Evel Knievel at home. The art and sounds on some machines is just stunning. Barcades are popular now, theres a ton of places to go play now which is awesome.

At home I’m currently playing Spider-Man and Battlefront on PS4. I’ve had many consoles growing up and still can’t believe how far we’ve come from Atari and Colecovision to PS4 and Xbox. And then there’s VR stuff which blows me away! Anyone played Beat Saber yet? So much fun!

8. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I did not know that! I had heard rumours for a long time and just kind of gave up Googling about it many moons ago. Just saw a trailer and read about who is invovled, very cool!

Grunge Master likes this.
  9. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

It's a true gem of a game.

There's also a sequel coming out later this year.

10. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Very cool, I'll be looking forward to that!

11. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I haven't played games recently so it's great to see everyone's favorites.

Adventure - ~1980 Atari 2600 - so primitive looking by today's standards but was so much fun to play!
    Tempest - 1981 Atari color vector arcade game - still love it to this day and have one in what should be my dining room
    Wizardry - 1981 Apple II adventure game - spent way too many hours playing this one (Ultima was a ton of fun too)
    Utopia - 1982 Intellivision - sort of an early version of a SimCity type game
    Donkey Kong - 1982 Colecovision - a very respectable port for the time
    then, my gaming dark ages (drinking, concerts, girls, etc)
    Wolfenstein 3D - 1994 Macintosh - loved the original Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II and the 3D version kept the spirit of the original
    Vigilante 8 - 1998 Playstation 1 - amazing game play and great playing against a friend
    Half-Life series - beginning in 1998 PC - such a great immersive series - too bad it doesn't look like HL3 will ever happen
    Far Cry - 2004 PC - I really only liked the first one and tried some of the later releases but would get bored pretty quickly. That original version was another fun, immersive game though!
    Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction - 2007 PS3 - impressive graphics at the time and fun game play

12. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love Thread Starter

Great list :righton: I've played most of those at least once, safe for Utopia. It sounds interesting :agree:

13. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Tempest is one of the most beautiful games! Does yours still have the color vector monitor?
    I've been through 3 vectors in my Asteroids machine...

jamesc likes this.
  14. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I remember playing it a lot at the time it came out. My work would always get taken out by hurricanes!

15. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

It does! Those vector monitors were so special! It's why I had to own an original... it just doesn't translate well on a standard monitor.

I should have kept an Asteroids when I had one. I ended up keeping a Space Duel and it's cool but that original Asteroids is so unique! I repaired a few of those B&W monitors for Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe back in the 90s. They're not too hard to work on and I'm sure there's YouTube videos on the subject these days. If you still have the old monitors you should be able to send the boards to someone to fix or someone will surely buy them outright since they're becoming hard to find.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

This isn't directly video game related, but I thought I'd ask here and maybe someone will know.

There used to be a girl with pink hair and a robot (fake robot - dude in a cardboard) sidekick that would do video game and movie and comics reviews on youtube. I just can't remember her name or the name of her channel/podcast whatever. Anyone know who that was and if she still does videos?

17. Sirius Plissken

Sirius Plissken Well-Known Member

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    My favorite game of all times this year...

October Man, boots and Livewire91 like this.
  18. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Early: Elite, MicroProse Stealth Fighter, Lords Of Midnight, Sim City, Bards Tale and the Dizzy Series and various text adventure games (I was a spectrum guy)
    90's: Elite II, Civilization series (II being the best), Baldurs Gate, Railroad Tycoon, Wing Commander
    Later: Total War, Fallout, Elite Dangerous

I find later in life my attention span with games is much reduced, I guess its just other priorities take over but I was chuffed to find they have ported Baldurs Gate/Planescape Torment and Bards Tale over to the XBOX, will give those a blast in the coming weeks, I also need to get Total War working on the big screen, it's what it is made for really...

LeBon Bush likes this.
  19. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Super Mario Bros. 3
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    GoldenEye 007
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    Jet Force Gemini
    The Last of Us
    Sly 2: Band of Thieves
    The Outer Worlds
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    Myst
    Alien: Isolation
    Metroid Prime
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

LeBon Bush likes this.
  20. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

As for MMORPG's... City of Heroes is back, sorta.

21. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I've been playing a lot of Path of Exile lately. It's kind of like Diablo only 100 times more things to figure out. A good game if you have a lot of time spent at home figuring it out.

22. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

Witcher 3
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Detroit Become Human
    Half Life 2
    Sabre Wulf (Sinclair Spectrum)
    Console Golf games since 1990
    Bioshock

....... and at the moment, the frustratingly difficult Little Nightmares. You will die.... you will die A LOT!!!

23. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I'm trying to answer this in the greatest albums ever sense, picking the titles which have made the biggest impact on me through the years, in chronological order according to the games' release date and approximately in the order in which I discovered them:

1) Prince of Persia (Brøderbund, PC, 1989). Great atmosphere, suspense, and animation. A masterpiece of game design.
    2) Red Baron (Dynamix, PC, 1990). It made me want to know everything I could about the planes and the people involved in World War I air combat.
    3) Formula One Grand Prix (Microprose, PC, 1992). I've gone from one racing game to the next, but this is where it really started.
    4) Metal Gear Solid (Konami, PlayStation, 1998). The first time I played a game that didn't feel like a poor imitation of a film but something where the cinematic style worked as an integral part of the gameplay experience.
    5) Shenmue (Sega, Dreamcast, 2000). The first time I felt like I was truly immersed in the world depicted in a game.

Bubbling under: Star Control II (Accolade, PC, 1992), Grand Prix Legends (Sierra, PC, 1998), Ico (Sony, PlayStation 2, 2001), F-Zero GX (Sega, GameCube, 2003).

There have been great games since and in some ways greater games including some sequels to the aforementioned, but I think these are some of the cornerstones I keep thinking back to whenever I play a game of a similar genre.

24. Pjotr into Music

Pjotr into Music Don't be afraid to play this LOUD

Same here , i actually bought it years and years ago.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  25. Pjotr into Music

Pjotr into Music Don't be afraid to play this LOUD

Lucasarts adventure games
    LBA II
    Portal 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.