Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

a great opener, he has a Lefty kind of sound:

melstapler likes this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

For a release of this magnitude, I never understood why 'The Wurlitzer Prize' (I Don't Want To Get Over You) wasn't included. Aside from that glaring omission, this 2CD long box makes a decent gift for friends and family.

RSteven and The Killer like this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Another album, not on CD yet that is good is this one. If your a Waylon fan, he's all over it with his guitar
    licks and some duet vocals. [​IMG]

The Killer, john hp and melstapler like this.
  4. melstapler

Harlan Howard's voice was unique in that it had crossover appeal and was suited for other genres in addition to country. One of Howard's later hits was a co-write he did with artist/fellow hit songwriter Kostas, entitled 'Blame It On Your Heart.' The song became a major hit when it was recorded by Patty Loveless. Actor Kiefer Sutherland has been on tour with his band this month and includes a version of this song in his set.

'Blame It On Your Heart' written by Harlan Howard and Kostas

The Killer likes this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

Ha! I didn't know he co-wrote that! That was a popular line dancing tune during the 90's down under. It appeared on many 'bootscootin' discs
    here when line dancing became a craze. Harlan was never a great singer, and he knew that, but I find his vocals
    charming. He's a little pitchy etc etc, but it works for me. I'd rather listen to him than an autotuned 2018 hillbilly any day of the week.

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  6. melstapler

Definitely. Harlan wrote over 4000 songs and has left behind an incredible legacy. Artists visit the publishing company he started located in Nashville to find songs they can record for specific projects. When @The Killer finally decides to record his debut studio album, I suspect we'll find him sitting in their offices listening to tracks with a pair of headphones.

'Ain't Found Nobody' is a terrific song recorded by The Mavericks. It was co-written by Harlan Howard and Kostas. Howard played a significant role in the career of Kostas and the songs they wrote together during the 1980s and 90s represent what was great about country music during those decades.

The Killer and Rick Bartlett like this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

Look forward to @The Killer when he makes that one, by the time we see it, it'll probably be on Bear Family records.
    :biglaugh:

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    The Killer and melstapler like this.
  8. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Why I oughta...

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  9. Rick Bartlett

10. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Another Harlan album on Capitol records:

11. Svein Arne

There is enough music by Harlan Howard so that Bear Family can make a box set.:wantsome:

12. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

13. Rick Bartlett

if that aint a tease I don't know what is. makes the original looks like a best of compilation!

melstapler, maloney, Reader and 2 others like this.
  14. Svein Arne

More information on this box please:pleased:

melstapler likes this.
  15. Rick Bartlett

that looks like one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. I'm scared to know the dollar price on this guy.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  16. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

The Lefty box pic was posted on BF's Facebook page. They posted this later:

Bear Family Records

6 hrs ·
    Dear friends and followers of Bear Family Records! This post is just a pre-announcement that the reworked Lefty Frizzell box is on the way to completion! Details incl. article number, track listing, information, price and the definitive release date (which will be in the second half of 2018) will follow-up soon!

17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

The new Lefty Bear Family box set cover is stunning. I am ready to pre-order as soon as they announce a date. I hope I don't have to mortgage the house to buy this beautiful baby, but we all know beauty and completeness don't come cheap!

18. Svein Arne

Maybe this is on the box:

McLover, Rick Bartlett and RSteven like this.
  19. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

20. maloney

21. maloney

above is some of my box sets collection

22. maloney

some more
    [​IMG]

Rick Bartlett and RSteven like this.
  23. maloney

I recently was given a large collection of bear family when my friend went into aged care , I also had about 80 bear sets

24. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Nice collection! Who's the lady that is shown on 3 box sets in your last picture?

25. maloney