Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Another one missing in big box:
    Gene Vincent - The Rose Of Love
    Somebody been drinking in the making of the box?:shrug:

melstapler likes this.
  2. Howstean

Howstean Well-Known Member

If you mean the Bear Family box set, the title is The Complete Studio Masters, 1956-1971; one of the two titles above was recorded in Ron Weisner's apartment, 1264 Hayworth Ave., Hollywood, CA; the other is unknown, possibly not a studio, but clearly not made available to Bear - both released on a Rolln' Rock LP. See Praguefrank's discography.

melstapler and Martin Byrne like this.
  3. Svein Arne

Thanks for information.:tiphat:

4. maloney

maloney Forum Resident

I had a visit from a friend today who was in awe of the first two Doris Day box sets and has asked me to obtain them for him ...it's magic and secret love anyone got any leads on good deals ...thank you for any help ..cheers

baptistbusman likes this.
  5. Svein Arne

maloney likes this.
  6. maloney

maloney Forum Resident

thank you cheap ! but it has no box , will put the deal to my friend see what he thinks
    thanks for the lead

7. Svein Arne

Sorry i did not read that:doh:
    I wonder why there is no picture of good looking Doris on cd covers?o_O

8. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

I think there were many non-studio, non-commercial recordings not included in the Bear Family box. This is the case for many artists covered by Bear Family, which generally covers commercial recordings, though they have included some non-commercial recordings

9. Svein Arne

Lots of CDs have been released after the Bear box containing recordings not done in regular studios.
    The same goes for Jim Reeves.

10. Svein Arne

11. maloney

maloney Forum Resident

I once heard that a Bear Family Boxed Set of Bobby Darin's Capitol output was coming soon but never heard anymore about it , I got the excellent Bobby Rocks Single Disc. but wonder why the project never came to fruition. Anyone know why the box never saw the light of day ?

12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely ripoff worthless CD-R garbage.
    Definitely. Rollin' Rock is an excellent record label and Ronnie Weiser has remained active. I encourage everyone to visit the Rollin' Rock appreciation thread:
    Rollin' Rock Records - from music magazine in 1969 to record label

13. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  14. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Latest Bear Family acquisition is When a Guitar Plays the Blues by Roy Lee Johnson. Contrary to the title, most of the material is early soul or transitional R&B. Johnson's biggest claim to fame is writing and singing the original version of "Mr. Moonlight" which is better than The Beatles' cover but still not a favourite of mine.

The most recent tracks on the CD are from his 1968 Muscle Shoals session and include this near-perfect southern soul record:

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  15. PeterH

PeterH Active Member

There's a copy of Secret Love (which seems to be out of print currently) for $69 at dustygroove at the moment, which is a good deal I think.

maloney likes this.
  16. maloney

maloney Forum Resident

thank you I have snapped up that bargain with 40 dollars postage to Australia still a good bargain .cheers

17. Svein Arne

Judge Judy and melstapler like this.
  18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

How about a comprehensive set on Cal Smith!
    The only decent release I can find is a 2-fer on the Hux label.
    Been spinning a couple of his Lp's today, and went looking for a decent CD collection.
    To my surprise! nothing!
    Ya hearin' me Bear?
    [​IMG]

19. melstapler

Weird! Rick, we both must be telepathic as I was just listening to the Hux twofer yesterday. We desperately need a comprehensive box set, considering that many of his albums have never been reissued in any format. Why the "Drinking Champagne" LP hasn't been released on CD is a mystery and a crime.

Steve...O, RSteven and Rick Bartlett like this.
  20. melstapler

'Drinking Champagne' as recorded by Cal Smith for Kapp. This great song was written by Bill Mack. I got to meet Bill about 5+ years ago, he was in the audience at a Johnny Bush concert.

[​IMG]
    Legendary songwriter Bill Mack, author of the song 'Drinking Champagne'

21. Rick Bartlett

Ha! Yeah I was just sifting through a bunch of LP's I picked up for next to nothing and pulled out a
    Cal album. Thoroughly enjoyed it and went looking for a bit more on CD.
    I don't have that Hux release yet, but thought it was strange that even 'country bumpkin', the lp
    has not seen a cd release even in a 2-fer.
    To be honest, I don't know that much or heard that much of Cal Smith, you don't really see his albums
    often here in Australia.
    I always enjoy his vocal drawl singin' though.
    (YouTube is my dear friend :winkgrin:)

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  22. maloney

maloney Forum Resident

I have never heard of "HUX " have they put much out of the good ole music ?

melstapler likes this.
  23. Rick Bartlett

Yes, they have a website.
    Hux Records - classic,rock,pop,BBC archive radio sessions on CD album
    I have Tom T Hall, Johnny Paycheck, Don Williams releases and they are great!
    Plenty more I need to get, but in my opinion, they are definitely of great quality.
    Highly recommend.

maloney and melstapler like this.
  24. Rick Bartlett

I hope the OP Mr GodBlessTinyTim is ok with me bringing in other acts not directly associated with
    Bear Family. I would start new threads on guys like 'Cal Smith', but they would end up being lost
    and forgotten, and I think Bear Family has a great hand in keeping these guys alive and to the public.
    If my suggestions are not on topic and not direct enough, I understand, and will direct them elsewhere.
    I try to put associated artists into the same threads instead of staring new ones if I can help it, especially
    if I think those of us like minded would appreciate it.
    Anyways.... just wanted to be sure and put out my concerns in this wonderful thread.

25. The Killer

The Killer I'm Gonna Get Your Gumbo

Faron Young, Roy Drusky, Connie Smith, Gene Watson etc and of course a fantastic Stoney Edwards twofer.