Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

2. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I already have the Lefty and Fats boxes so I'll pass on those...

3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

It'll be Johnny Paycheck!!!!

(ok maybe not, but if I say it enough, maybe someone over at Bear will go 'hey, how we gettin' on
    with the Paycheck set?' - if you say something enough you know?.....)

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I do wonder about the viability of a huge box set now for Johnny, particularly after the great RGM release of Take This Job And Shove It: The Definitive Collection, a forty song CD collection on two discs remastered phenomenally by Mr. Vic Anesini. I know he has significant material before this period at Epic, but wow that splendid release in 2016 really cuts a bite out of any project that would be released now.

5. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are you sure the release of a compilation has that much impact on the viability of a Bear Family box set project? I'd actually prefer a set of just his complete Little Darlin' recordings which would fit in a three-disc digipak set.

BRC, Cousin It, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Yeah. Everything he did before Epic would be fantastic!
    It's good though, having those Epic albums re-released, those early 70's albums are
    really enjoyable, I love them, the later stuff not so much.
    The 1960's material really needs a complete over hall.

Edit: I even tried contacting Gusto, who Melstaper says owns the LD masters,
    and it mentions them in it's Wiki page, but going to the website, it's 'under construction'.
    Errrrrr!

7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

That's a fair question and a good one at that too. I do not know that it would necessarily kill off a large box set project to have such a large compilation come out of an artist's primary hit singles period in past market conditions, but given the shrinking CD market and Bear Family's much smaller release schedule, its hard to believe that RGM"s stellar release of that compilation a couple of years ago would not give them second thoughts about a huge box set on Johnny right now. Mychael seems to have read my comment and judging by his "like" of the comment, I'm betting that a Johnny Paycheck Bear Family Box set is not coming to fruition this year. Hears hoping there is something great coming out in its place!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    The Killer and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  8. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I can put you directly in touch with their office, as the new website seems to be taking its time. While they're friendly and definitely consider suggestions and answer questions, the person who determines final track selections seems to keep following the same format of their previous titles. Unless a competent reissue label such as Bear Family would license those recordings..... :mudscrying:

9. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

The problem is they don't want to deal with non-US companies (apart from Bear Family I've heard from other companies in Germany and the UK who tried in vain....) The reason? "Too much hassle and frankly, we don't need the money.":shake:

baptistbusman and melstapler like this.
  10. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

This is where Bear gets it right, art before cash, that might be too simplistic but that’s how it looks to this humble collector.

melstapler, RSteven and Rick Bartlett like this.
  11. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Wasn't this guy in the film "A Face in the Crowd" ?

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just got a disc of some of Ted's
    Django remasterings from 1937
    on JSP, very nice indeed!

melstapler and Mr. H like this.
  13. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I consider this one of Bear Family's most overlooked single-disc releases. A perfect glimpse into the time and place it was recorded, and the 80-page account of Big Jeff's life is phenomenal.

Yes indeed, playing a sherriff who shared his real name.

The Killer likes this.
  14. Svein Arne

Several different country artists including Big Jeff Bess is in the movie,read more about it here:
    :tiphat:A Face in the Crowd (1957) - IMDb

15. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I think that Bear Family has its own loyal audience, the majority of whom don't care what's come before, and who will still spend the money on a BF product even if there's something else out there. I have almost everything Patsy Cline ever recorded that's commercially available and it still burns me up that there won't be a BF box.

I'm not trying to blow smoke or anything but there's a commitment to quality and to making these boxes definitive that I just don't see with any other label. Any time I buy a BF box, I have a real feeling that the "last word" has now been said. So I doubt that the existence of another comp -- even a comprehensive one -- would do much to diminish the value of a BF set.

16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

One of the most disappointing things ever that Bear Family was stopped from producing what would have probably been one of the greatest box sets in history through no fault of their own!

17. melstapler

Listening to 1 Merle Haggard album per day can improve lives. My album for today is "The Roots Of My Raising." Currently listening to the song 'Am I Standing In Your Way,' which is found on disc 6 of the Bear Family Records comprehensive box set "The Studio Recordings 1968-76." What an incredible box set!

18. Rick Bartlett

It would be easy to thread bomb with Merle Haggard! So many great songs, I particular love his 70's and 80's material a
    little bit more than the early Capitol stuff. 'Roots Of My Raising' is a great song too, one of the Hag
    tunes I used to sing with in a band.

The Killer, RSteven and melstapler like this.
  19. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Just like I always suspected. Gusto has no clue, well I am sure they do as they are obviously making money. But coming from a collectors point of view all they are interested in is making knock-off CDs they make cheap to sell cheap.

@Mychael, thanks so much for taking part is this forum and sharing your knowledge.

20. melstapler

Definitely. Bear Family are still the best reissue label in the world and I say that with respect and appreciation for the other great labels. I'm curious, doesn't Gusto also control the George Jones Musicor recordings?

21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well, with regard to large box set collections and other multi-disc compilations, I totally agree with you, sir! I do have to admit as a huge Christmas music aficionado, I have grown to love and appreciate the Real Gone Music label as well, the U. S. company of course, but I am slightly biased as I have written the liner notes for their upcoming twofer of the long awaited Living Stereo version of John Klein's A Christmas Sound Spectacular, paired awesomely with his beautiful stereo follow-up, Let's Ring the Bells ALL AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE. The first Klein Christmas album features the largest Carillon in the world with over 1500 bells at his disposal, along with a fantastic Billy May like orchestra. This first album has never been reissued in proper stereo on CD and we look forward to hearing what the good folks at Sony Battery Studios do with their great remastering effort on these two albums. They also did an unbelievable job on Percy's Faith's Music Of Christmas Expanded Edition from last year with the great remastering restoration engineer, Vic Anesini, known primarily for his work on the Elvis catalogue as I mentioned in the post on the Johnny Paycheck collection. RGM is a stickler for using original album cover art work and getting the remastering done by the original companies that hold the copyright.

melstapler likes this.
  22. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

No fault of BF's whatsoever. It just would have looked so nice on my shelf, next to its brothers and sisters.

melstapler, Cousin It and RSteven like this.
  23. Svein Arne

The only company that i can think of making music boxes just as good as Bear Family Records is in this video,but i hate it that music is on a memory stick that must be plugged into a pc.:realmad:
    Would be better with CDs.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  24. Svein Arne

DR.J and melstapler like this.
  25. Svein Arne