Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When this John Stewart CD was issued by Bear Family in 1989, these albums had been out of print since their first release. Bear Family gave the Willard tracks as bonus filler up to the maximum conventional CD length in 1989. People could have waited another 12 years before an unauthorized issue of Willard was released in 2001.

eelkiller likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

What's not to like? I do agree that there could be improvements (my suggestions are CD jewel box inserts from the boxes that include more discographical information, and better constructed outer cardboard boxes), but I have no complaints. I appreciate every one of the artists and musical styles, and admire Bear Family for its dedication to these artists rather than pure profit. Richard Weize would have had more wealth if he had invested in polluting industries, but he dedicated his life to these artists and their many listeners.

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Do you know if it is possible to obtain, or purchase if necessary, some of these redesigned books? I'm not referring to the complete overhauls of boxes (like Johnny Horton). As a longtime supporter of Bear Family, who has more than 95% of ALL of their boxes (mostly purchased around release time), I was unaware of these new books. It would be nice if they can be obtained. Which other books have been redesigned?

4. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

They still do stock quite a few boxes. It's very refreshing to see.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was in the Ernest Tubb Record Shop in 1987, in a time when it was struggling. It was great to absorb the history (all the broadcasts from the back of the store in my mind), but the stock was very poor. I suppose the tourist trade has helped, so they could stock Bear Family. In 1987, Bear was still a vinyl label primarily - so CDs were not displayed. Nashville radio, at that time, hardly ever played anything that would be represented on Bear Family. Although all of the styles on Bear Family interest me, Bear is really about vintage country music. It disappoints me that most people only consider their rockabilly, early R&R and R&B material.

6. Tony Jonaitis

Tony Jonaitis Forum Resident

Cheapo Records was always the place to go to find USED Bear Family boxsets (besides the usual new ones)! Not very common, but I guess that if you could afford 'em in the first place, you probably never had to sell them......

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Those used copies of Bear Family at Cheapos were from a guy who wanted to conceal his collecting by burning CDR copies and then selling the real thing (at a huge loss). I know, because I have many of his copies. He was crazier than me, I want to believe. Many other used copies on the market are from estates of old-time collectors (like me).

Peter Bartkiewicz likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Most record collectors that I know (including Bear Family) are not all that well off (for obvious reasons). I never met a rich guy who had much time for any music, let alone Bear Family. Many obsessed collectors do not even own a car. It's about passion, not conventional logic.

9. So far Carl Perkins and Dolly Parton releases.

10. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

The 2 Freddie King sets, Piano Red, Leslie Gore, and Little Richard - The Formative Years. Although it's not out yet, the new Slim Harpo box.

11. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Probably due to space constraints, but that's still kind of amusing. The only misguided Bear Family releases I can think of are their reissue of Tiny Tim's dreadful Resurrection album and That'll Flat Git It Vol. 4: Rockabilly From the Vaults of Festival Records, which contains a measly sixteen songs, most of which are early-60's pop-rock or later garage rockers like

One record store in Ottawa stocked them. For reference, the Pat Boone 50's set was $500 there. Newer single-disc releases ran for $37.99. In other words, getting BF stuff there was unjustifiable.

12. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

I don't agree with the overdubbing. It sounds fake to me. Kind of like a photoshopped image.

But I doubt any of the work is "unauthorized" or "bootlegged." He owns the rights or has properly licensed the songs he overdubs and releases. At least that's what I'm led to believe.

13. The Louvin Brothers, The Everly Brothers, Merle Haggard, and Bob Wills. AAH HAAAAAH!

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Dean Martin Box Sets...

15. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Cavern Club on vinyl. Open up the gatefold and there is a 3D paper map of the Rieferbahn.

16. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

NKC Love & Stardust Boxes.

17. bodine

bodine Senior Member

--Complete Hank Ballard and the Midnighters
    --Complete Jerry Lee Lewis Sun Recordings
    --Complete Louis Jordan Decca Recordings
    --Complete Smiley Lewis Recordings
    --Out Of New Orleans--Complete Fats Domino Imperial Recordings

18. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Dean Martin sets
    Nat King Cole sets
    George Jones sets
    Ray Price and the Cherokee Cowboys set
    Carter Family set
    Complete D Singles sets
    Atomic Platters: Cold War Music from the Golden Age of Homeland Security
    Dim Lights, Thick Smoke and Hillbilly Music series
    Blowin' the Fuse series
    Sweet Soul Music series

You can certainly question the mastering choices on some of these, but the music is undeniably great.

19. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I just got that one in the mail today but haven't had a chance to spin any of the discs yet. It had been on my want list ever since it was announced, but I was holding out for a deal. I can't remember who posted the link in another thread to the eBay seller that had multiple sealed copies of it for $58.49, but I'm really glad they did!

That reminds me of another favorite BF set, the 3-disc Porter Wagoner set, The Cold Hard Facts of Life.

20. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Don't feed the TROLL.

21. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

David Allan Coe is all I have right now. It's a great set sans the underground cds.

MusicNBeer, Skeetercsa and Mr. H like this.
  22. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

Love them but have had some problems getting error free rips to my jukebox.

I like the "rocks" series

Jerry Lee boxes
    Johnny Horton western box
    Fats domino
    Everyly boxes
    George jones boxes
    Carter family

I want Eddie Cochran

Forever Young in DFW area has most new and high priced displayed on the walls.

Kkfan likes this.
  23. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

My favourite single discs are the two of John D Loudermilk, and Jack Scott on Groove.

My favourite box sets...
    • Jim Reeves (16 discs)
    • The Browns
    • Jerry Lee Lewis (Sun recordings)
    • The Everly Brothers
    • Duane Eddy (Jamie)
    • Duane Eddy (RCA)
    • Chuck Berry
    Needless to say I have the forthcoming Herman's Hermits set on order.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have been broadcasting 3 hour and 2 hour prime time FM (high power) radio specials to celebrate Bear Family artists ever since Bear Family first issued vinyl LPs over 30 years ago. I have broadcast at least one special on each and every Bear Family box set (except a few that I do not own), including the non-English artists, all of the "thematic" boxes and series, and on the majority of their single/double/triple CDs. Some artists have had their Bear Family sets celebrated in many radio specials over the years. Some have had their complete works celebrated in extended specials. I never got a free Bear Family item (bought them all), never got paid at all in over 40 years of volunteer radio, and have helped many fans and other radio announcers start supporting Bear Family in its efforts. I just finished a special broadcast on the West Indian Rhythm box, and have broadcast 6 Bear Family-based 2 hour radio specials in the last two months. It is all about the artists and their great work. I suppose that makes me a troll.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015