Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Another video of this box:

DR.J likes this.
  2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Martin Byrne likes this.
  3. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  4. Svein Arne

That Gore cd must be a very early cd release.

5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Wenn Sie die Deutsche version wünschen, bestellen Sie nicht die Englische.

:laugh:

6. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, I have The Hawks' version on a few different CDs including Ace's Bo Diddley is a Songwriter collection on which it's the closing track because, as the liner notes state, "It's a hard act to follow, almost impossible in many ways." For those who aren't in the know, it starts at 2:54 (but you should listen to the A-side as well)

Is each disc of Plug It In, Turn It Up meant to have its own distinct theme, or just certain ones?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Das ist gut!

8. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

The Lefty set comes – as described in the product information from Bear Family – in the usual "LP-size". No need to complain.

9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeah, why would you want that chunky book with all new pictures and literature, and a bunch of unreleased
    Lefty songs. Look at the size of this set, don't know why anyone would want this boat anchor!

RSteven, melstapler and The Killer like this.
  10. Svein Arne

looks better then Titanic.

RSteven, melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Strange they waited so long to induct Dottie, considering her fairly long career as a performer and recording artist. She started young and died young. As for Johnny Gimble, glad to see him being recognized. Probably a month or so before his death, I met his son and we had a nice conversation about music and his father. I literally jumped and had to do a double-take after seeing the news headline reporting Johnny's death.

RSteven likes this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

I don't know much about Dottie, but just read her wiki page, she seemed to have lived a traumatic life,
    and then losing all of her belongings towards the end of her life.
    Sad life indeed.

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  13. melstapler

Definitely. Such a tragic story. I recall there was a made-for-television film about her life story and Kenny Rogers actually portrayed himself in those parts since he looked the same in the 90s as he did in the 80s. You might even be able to find it on youtube!

Dottie's 1CD twofer on Morello/Cherry Red is highly recommended as well.

RSteven and Rick Bartlett like this.
  14. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

RSteven, melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  15. Svein Arne

Hank jr that may because he is a loose cannon.Not afraid to say wat he means.

melstapler, Rick Bartlett and RSteven like this.
  16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Indeed, Dottie West should have gone into the Country Music Hall Of Fame a long time ago and while she was still alive. I saw her and Kenny Rogers on tour together around the early 1980's, I believe, and they were absolutely dynamic on stage together as was he and Dolly.

Kenny loved to tease her with the line from the great song Anyone Who Isn't Me Tonight, "You have got the kind of body that was made to give a man a lot of pleasure." Kenny could barely get through singing that line without cracking up. Priceless stuff. As I recall, Dottie had two six shooters on her stage outfit, if I am remembering correctly. A great show all around!

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  17. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Not every disc, but one disc is completely devoted to instrumentals, one to White Rock interpretations , and one seems to be mainly Soul-Blues. The rest of CDs are arranged chronologically.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  18. melstapler

You know something, Al Dexter should be inducted to the Country Music Hall Of Fame. In addition to his massive wartime hit which many casual fans remember, he was a major recording artist in country music during the 1930s and 40s.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Svein Arne

20. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just read up on him more a minute ago. I knew that "Pistol Packin' Mama" was a cross-genre smash, but had no idea he had so many other hits. Interestingly, "Mama" was the very first hit on Billboard's "Most Played Juke Box Folk Records" chart, which was eventually renamed Hot Country Songs.

List of his Top 20 chart hits: Al Dexter - Wikipedia

melstapler likes this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Yep, another guy I need to look into as well. Certainly not a name dropper guy in Australia hehe.

melstapler likes this.
  22. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

the Maddox brothers and rose Maddox , and carson Robison should be in the country music hall of fame years ago !

23. melstapler

Definitely. Someone needs to be reprimanded for this oversight. Having Garth Brooks inducted before Al Dexter? C'mon! Of course, many of us would be willing to overlook that mistake if Bear Family could release a comprehensive box set.

Reader and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  24. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I've got the Living Era disc of his songs, I bought it for Pistol... but there's another 2 dozen good songs on it.

Living Era were a decent label, I've a few of theirs.

maloney and melstapler like this.
  25. Svein Arne

maloney and melstapler like this.