Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Ronnie Milsap's later hit version of Too Late To Worry, Too Blue To Cry that Al wrote is one of my all time favorite songs.

maloney and melstapler like this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

AlmanacZinger and melstapler like this.
  3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

That is a truly great list @The Killer and all of those picks are more than deserving and long overdue for induction. The one I am most emotional about is the very underrated Charlie Rich, who was sort of a man without a country so to speak. Too country for the Rock 'n' Roll crowd, too jazzy or bluesy for the country crowd. Thank God the Memphis Music Hall Of Fame put him in their hall. He really belongs in both the Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music Hall Of Fames. Shameful that he may never get in either one.

4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

[​IMG]
    Charlie Rich expressing alternate views and opinions with his lighter.

5. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Maybe Charlie did not like John Denver.But i think this is a damn good song:

:tiphat:

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I'm not his biggest fan, but the guy was amazingly talented who could really sing!
    This ballad he does, blows me away when he goes into this high register at the end of the verses.
    'Calypso' is probably my favourite of his.

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  7. Svein Arne

8. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

A Garth Brooks Bear Family box, are you insane?!!!

9. Rick Bartlett

I'm a GB fan, but yeah! Not very necessary at ALL.

melstapler, Mr. H and RSteven like this.
  10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Actually, according to both Charlie Rich himself and his son, Charlie Jr, Rich had no ill will at all about John Denver winning that award when he pulled this funny, but ill advised stunt. Rich had huge anxiety issues and was no doubt hammered at the time. He was also having as much trouble adjusting to his superstar status as he had gotten use to struggling along for so long in small lounges and clubs. Fame and fortune, as crazy as that sounds, can be almost as destructive as anonymity in some cases. Its a head scratcher to say the least. I am a fan and admirer of both artists.

melstapler, Rick Bartlett and Mr. H like this.
  11. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

No, he meant that the mistake is putting GB before Al into the Hall of Fame, an Al box set would forgive them for that mistake...

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  12. The Killer

Yeah I know, I was just having a bit of fun with Mel!

melstapler, Rick Bartlett and RSteven like this.
  13. Svein Arne

Here you can listen to the songs.Really good:
    Delta Dawn - 4 Classic Albums (2-CD) | Bear Family Records

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Indeed, I pre-ordered that beauty a while ago and that sweet thing is already on its way. It is suppose to arrive on Tuesday. I will let everybody how the sound is on the first three albums compared to my Collectiable twofers.

15. The Killer

Anyone sprung for that Eddie Cochran set The Year 1957? Gotta say the 2 LP 10" version is drawing me in.

[​IMG]

melstapler, Rick Bartlett and RSteven like this.
  16. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

She easily has one of the best/most consistent catalogs in country music, spanning at least 3 (maybe 4) different eras of the genre. It's shocking to me how little respect she gets in the industry/by her labels.

Her sister Lacosta's 5 albums (and a single) are also fantastic and need to be properly re-issued.

melstapler, RSteven and Judge Judy like this.
  17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I love Eddie Cochran's Something Else Bear Family box set. I just got it last year and I love the great hardcover book included with his great music. I was thrilled they gave a shout out to my family's radio station, XEAK The Mighty 690, for helping to break Summertime Blues in 1958. My father was the PD and President of the radio station. He got to know Wolfman Jack pretty well too back in the day.

18. Rick Bartlett

Oh Yeah! the Eddie boxset is a piece of dynamite! I put him right up there with Elvis, Holly, Jerry Lee, The Everly's....
    Most people wouldn't put him up on that level, but to me he is an equal to all of them.
    Personally, I listen to Eddie more than all of the above mentioned.
    A huge fan here.

19. Rick Bartlett

Happy Birthday to 'The Killer!'
    [​IMG]

mpayan, GodBlessTinyTim, DR.J and 5 others like this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have not checked whether the new incarnation of ErnieBs has much in the way of "roots" music, but maybe someday they can carry Bear Family again.

How many years did Bear Family give exclusive rights to that company that destroyed their marketing in North America?

New Ernie's info, new name:

How To Use Your Wholesale Account:
    • If you are receiving this email then you can purchase from us at wholesale prices
    • If you haven't already created a wholesale account on www.MillionsOfRecords.com then simply click Register on the home page and enter your name and address. You can then immediately place wholesale orders (no paperwork or other forms to complete)
    • Credit Card, Debit Card, PayPal or Net Terms
    • Order via website, email or mail
    • No minimum order
    • The website displays wholesale prices only, so the prices you see are your wholesale prices
    Did you have an account at Ernie B's / EBrecords?
    Questions? Contact Ernie:

21. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

melstapler likes this.
  22. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I know the history of these collections. They came from a blog and were compiled by a guy, who did a load of work compiling them, who then offered them for free download. Someone has downloaded them from his blog and now sells them on Amazon. Dirty.

23. Rick Bartlett

Any info on the quality of these/source?

melstapler likes this.
  24. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

This doesn't answer your question, but the whole first disc is on YouTube:

25. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Most if not all of his collections were from LPs, 78’s, 45’s. Many of them came from other contributors also. The sound was never great.

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.