Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

As Mr 'Tiny Tim' said, I checked out the audio on youtube, it's not half bad. I'm not keen paying the
    Amazon prices for the CD's, especially when they are 'dodgy'.
    Thanks for the info on the source information. I thought that the chances were high being needle drops.

melstapler likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Yes, the originator imitated the graphics. It is not a production of the actual label which has been defunct for a long time

melstapler likes this.
  3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I assumed they might have been revived with a focus on slightly more contemporary music, but it looks like you're correct. That's a shame.

melstapler likes this.
  4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

On his website,
    Definitely. I have some of the original releases by the actual label and they were silver pressed replicated CDs. The Johnny Ace 1CD is one of my favorites from that original series.

Sadly, the people currently using the label name and similar artwork designs are issuing horrific bootleg-looking CD-Rs with amateur printed artwork and very little respect for the artist or material. They've issued a number of artist-focused classic country comps, including one by Claude Gray. Although they apparently do pay publishing for the songs, the sources they use are of questionable origin. If you compare the 2 CD volumes Claude sells at his shows to the comp sold on Amazon, you'll see what I mean.
    [​IMG]

The Killer likes this.
  5. melstapler

I seem to recall that blog from several years ago and each album usually included custom artwork in this same theme. The new people selling these "releases" for profit need to be stopped. I say let The Tall Texan himself have a word with them. Claude is a reasonable guy, but his temper can be short and he doesn't take crap from anyone.
    [​IMG]
    On the left is Claude Gray standing next to Tony Booth

The Killer likes this.
  6. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Agreed, I've a few of these discs, again the Johnny Ace is one of my faves, a lot are taken from 78's but if that's the only choice available...

The Johnny Paycheck stuff is disappointing, we don't need anymore scattered poorly released discs, we need an organised thought out campaign. Obviously Bear Family should take up the mantle but if Omnivore or similar want to step in then that's fine but someone needs to get all music back out there. G'dammit.

7. melstapler

Definitely. We have good reason to be frustrated. At least bring the OOP Little Darlin' comps back into print until a comprehensive box set can be released.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. melstapler

Definitely. Each of us need to flood Ernie's inbox with requests for Millions Of Records to stock Bear Family titles. I miss the days when EB was around, always appreciated their customer-oriented mindset and protective packaging.

GodBlessTinyTim, DR.J and Reader like this.
  9. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I received the Bobbie Gentry boxset from Amazon UK. It is about as close to a Bear Family style production as I have seen from any other company. Though it is the smaller Bear Family style (not LP sized but maybe 10 X 10), it has a high quality hardcover book. The 8 CDs are in folio pockets.

Now that Bear Family's product frequency has decreased significantly, it is nice to see that serious box sets can be issued by major corporations. This appears to be a British creation.

We need more retrospective completist box sets, not more samplers

11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Seriously. It's ridiculous when greatest hits comps outnumber an artists' studio albums.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I like Joni Mitchell's concept, when she issued an album called "Misses"

melstapler likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

14. melstapler

In all honesty, I'd like to see Bear Family Records release an artist-focused Ray Pillow comprehensive box set. Ray still makes appearances on the Grand Ole Opry in addition to RFD-TV, where he's been featured on several of Larry Black's programs. Ray has been a member of the Grand Ole Opry since 1966 and more recently was inducted to the Virginia Country Music Hall Of Fame. With 18 singles on the Billboard country charts, he's recorded quality albums and singles for numerous labels including Capitol, ABC, Hilltop, Plantation, Mega, Dot and MCA.

For more information on Ray Pillow:
    Any fans of classic country legend Ray Pillow?
    [​IMG]
    Country legend Ray Pillow has aged well in voice and body

mpayan and The Killer like this.
  15. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Bear Family can make a 3rd CD.RCA Victor was a very big record company.Please make volume 3!:waiting:
    Jack Turner - Hound Dog

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  16. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Just picked up the Curly Williams and his Georgia Peach Pickers CD Half as Much. 29 tracks of country/western swing, mainly from 1949 - 1952 with some tracks getting their first release. First rate stuff, gotta say the steel guitar player. Boots Harris, is brilliant.

[​IMG]

17. Svein Arne

Curley Williams and His Georgia Peach Pickers - Fiddlin' Boogie
    Curley Williams & his Georgia Peach Pickers - Between A Rock And A Hard Place
    Curley Williams & His Georgia Peach Pickers “Blue Melody” Western Swing (Curly Williams)

The Killer and baptistbusman like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I went out to garage sales this morning with my usual binder clip of $1 bills, $5 bills and some $10's. After hitting a few sales, it seemed that I had lost my wad of money. Probably at least $150. Shallow pockets or just being sloppy, I figured. I tried to backtrack, but no luck. Oh well, I figured, but man that hurts.

So just now, I find the money on my front porch. Having already accepted the loss, I am thinking of applying the irrational rationalizing of an obsessive record collector. That's $150 of free money. Money that I didn't know I had (at least for a few hours).

So should I go out and buy a CD box set with this "found money", or should I turn it over to my wife for safe keeping?

Maybe I should buy some pants with deeper pockets, at a garage sale of course ($4), and spend the other $146 on a box set - or maybe trim just a little off to buy some beer to celebrate.

Reader, melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  19. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

If I had that much, I'd add some to it and order the Johnny Horton Bear Family set, or the Roy Acuff one, or the Eddie Cochran one.

melstapler likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The next time you need a major car repair, skip it and order those Bear Family boxes. You ain't gonna want to go anywhere while you are enjoying them anyway.

21. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Looks like only 2 box sets were released in 2018 (Korea, Lefty)? Any others that I'm not aware of?

22. Svein Arne

Maybe Fats Domino at the end of the year.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  23. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Pretty sure that is scheduled for 2019 at this point of the year...

RSteven likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Two are essentially reissue/upgrades, and one a mixed bag compilation.

We need new career retrospectives of individual artists, whether artists not yet fully covered, or artists never yet covered by Bear.

25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yep. 100% Agreed :righton: