Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Currently, American television has been running a new Jimmy Dean sausage TV commercial which uses audio of his voice. In a gentle voice, Jimmy vaguely describes the alleged quality and benefits of the product.

RSteven and Reader like this.
  3. melstapler

Great suggestions for new releases! Would love to have a comprehensive Dickey Lee box set, he's had some decent 1CD compilations, but nothing completely definitive. For example his "Crying Over You" LP on RCA would be nice to finally have on CD.

Record Rotator, RSteven and maloney like this.
  4. melstapler

5. melstapler

'Wolverton Mountain' as interpreted by Dickey Lee

RSteven and maloney like this.
  6. melstapler

One artist who I would enjoy having a comprehensive box set of is country legend Tony Booth.

Tony Booth performing live in 1973 with Don Rich and The Buckaroos. Sadly, Don perished the following year. It's been said that losing Don was a major blow to Tony's career, although Tony resurfaced during the 1980s as a full-time member/bassist/band leader of The Farewell Party Band for country legend Gene Watson.
    [​IMG]
    Tony Booth staring at @Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  7. Reader

Reader Senior Member

As I've posted before, my number one wish from BF is to have a massive Roger Miller box with all kind of demos, outtakes and unreleased material. I would think this would be a big seller. Wouldn't mind a dvd (if it works, unlike the Roy Acuff) with many of his tv appearances if possible.

8. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

9. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

that one is a dream of mine too , he was so brilliant, and so successful , it would be a massive winner ..so overdue

melstapler, Rick Bartlett and RSteven like this.
  10. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Could not agree more.

11. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I have this 3-CD Roger Miller box set:

[​IMG]

12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeah, you me and a few others.
    We have talked about it earlier in the thread too.
    I was recently talking to @melstapler offline about a time when it was looking possible.
    He and myself, both independently have contacted Roger's wife who indicated that 'Bear' was
    looking/planning into doing a Roger Miller set.
    I also still have an email where Richard Weize was also interested in doing the set too.
    Unfortunately, that email dates back to 2007, and still no release.
    :cry:

13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It’s worth repeating. You know.. just floating our interest.

melstapler, RSteven and Rick Bartlett like this.
  14. Rick Bartlett

ABSOLUTELY!
    I'll join in with the fight!

Mr. H, melstapler and RSteven like this.
  15. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Received Sheb Wooley's Shake This Shack Tonight CD today. Oddly enough the back cover gives a release date of 1950 for all 30 songs even though they were actually released between 1946 and 1961. Fortunately the booklet lists the correct recording dates as always.

I like how he never states whether Jimmy Dean breakfast sausages are a part of said hearty breakfast.

melstapler likes this.
  16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Ditto for me. A really fantastic sounding box set and it has most of his essential catalogue.

Mr. H and melstapler like this.
  17. Rick Bartlett

This is a bit off topic, but this was an epic concert in Australia back in 1989.
    This was one of the only and last big package shows that came here.
    Somebody uploaded this recorded off TV copy onto youtube, but if you get into
    watching any of it, the audio/video is pretty lo-fi and sketchy at times.
    Sometimes it's hard to watch older material in rough quality, I know.
    I have a copy myself on VHS somewhere where the audio is a lot better.

Apparently there were some headaches putting this show together, with artist
    costs, demands and billing etc etc, that it's probably why nobody endured such a
    multitask of assembling more shows like this since.
    If I remember correctly, Jerry Lee insisted he would perform last and
    it that was debated with others on the bill (Chuck? Everlys?)
    For the punter, this would have been a great show to see in concert.
    Lesley Gore, Chuck Berry, Everly Brothers, Mary Wilson (Supremes),
    Bo Diddley and Jerry Lee Lewis.
    Col Joye who compered the show was our own 'good' guy who portrayed
    a Pat Boone like figure during the mid 50's onwards who had his own
    hits and appeared on TV in the day.
    I guess my whole point is, it would be great to see somebody dig through the
    archives and see whether the video still exists in the TV broadcast archives
    and present it as it should be on DVD.

edit: some slighty better clips here
    1989Melbourne

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Mr. H, melstapler and PhantomStranger like this.
  18. melstapler

No, not at all off topic. It ties in with the Roger Miller issue as well, because he filmed numerous live performances such as Farm Aid, the Star Route show focusing on country music out of Canada, his own TV show, ACL Live, 1989 Olympic Festival, and most of them were professionally produced and televised. There are also other performances (which might not be comparable to the TV performances) such as the Birchmere 1991 acoustic soundboard and the private pressing acoustic live disc released by his estate.

Mr. H and Rick Bartlett like this.
  19. melstapler

Definitely. Jimmy and his brother Don fought and feuded for many years, even after Jimmy ousted him and took control of the company. Only a few years before his death in 2010, Jimmy embarked on a book tour where he briefly spoke and signed copies.
    [​IMG]
    Don Dean (shown here in military fatigues) resembled his brother
    [​IMG]
    Jimmy Dean's powerful message

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  20. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I can hardly believe that a guy born in Texas is promoting a croissant.

melstapler likes this.
  21. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

That's a great box, I've mentioned it before but if you like early Roger Miller this unassuming CD is packed full of wholesome country music.

[​IMG]

sonnyrock, RSteven and melstapler like this.
  22. Rick Bartlett

I made the mistake of NOT picking up the 3 CD Roger set when it was readily available
    and at a very good price. I got the idea of 'waiting' for the BF set to come along to save
    on 'doubling' up...... oh well.
    I thought doing the same in the 90's trying not to buy so many of the Elvis CD's but
    crumbled in over the years and have a heap of single CD's.....
    Now the RCA collection is available in a complete set.
    20 years too late......
    How many of us have bought things over and over, and have doubles, triples etc of the same material?
    Speaking of Roger, this has some early stuff, before he developed his style, on BF too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr. H, The Killer and melstapler like this.
  23. Svein Arne

24. Reader

Reader Senior Member

That is a nice set that I've spent a fair amount of time with over the past few years. Don't know if it's OOP but copies are still around at decent prices if you don't have it.

I also have the others shown above. All are worth having. I'm greedy though and want much more. I'd bet there are tons of demos and unreleased material that is worth hearing. He can bring a smile to my face just about faster than any other singer, songwriter, musician that I've heard.

Wouldn't it be great to have a big biography published that covers his entire life and also a second vol. that goes into detail about his recordings? Who knows, maybe one day? Glad to know there are many others here who listen to him beyond the 2 or 3 songs that you might hear on the radio. Are there any on-line sources for information about his work? I've never found much available.

Finally got a copy of the new BF Lefty box and that's what I want for Mr. Miller. A huge book and at least 20 CDs of music. I'm saving a few coins so I'm ready.

Mr. H, melstapler, MikeP5877 and 4 others like this.
  25. Svein Arne

Roger Miller - Official Website

Reader, melstapler and RSteven like this.