Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

This is how the Leadbelly CD box set looks like.Petes box hopefully will look the same:

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  2. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Great to see them doing this, unfortunately most of their CDs these days are CDRs.

3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

An institution dedicated to archiving and preservation, releasing music on CDR... the irony.

Rick Bartlett and Mr. H like this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You should know the background.

Moses Asch (1905-1986) founded Folkways, which ultimately developed the largest catalog of records in the American record industry. From Wikipedia: "One principle behind Asch's direction of the Folkways label was that he never deleted a single title from the Folkways catalogue. After his death, the Folkways recordings were acquired by the Smithsonian Institution, and Asch stipulated in his will that no titles were to be deleted, and that unreleased master tapes in the Folkways archive should be explored"

In the transfer to the Smithsonian, all of the vinyl LPs in the Folkways warehouse were remaindered and not offered to the Smithsonian. They could be purchased, especially in NYC's Tower Records, which had an entire floor of just Folkways for very low prices (typically $1.99). The vinyl LPs did NOT go to the Smithsonian. The Smithsoniam agreement allowed that anyone could order any title of that enormous catalog, though instead of pressing an acetate or vinyl, the Smithsonian offered it on cassette, and then later on CDR. An immense catalog, permanently in print.

At the same time, the Smithsonian created a series of REAL CDs of the most historically important recordings in the Folkways catalog: especially Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger and Leadbelly, but many, many others as well. There are numerous real CDs issued on Smithsonian-Folkways., by many artists.

The Pete Seeger box will most definitely be real CD.

The bulk of the Folkways catalog was from field or remote studio recordings of amateur musicians from many cultures. It is amazing enough that they are technically in print, albeit on CDR. Most similar material is long out of print.

I hope people understand this and do not discourage possible sales by such rumors.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Amazon USA has a copy of the new Lefty Box for $152. You can take your chances and return if it is defective. But I would bet there is a better than 50-50 chance that it is as new.

6. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I fully understand what they do. What rumors are you referring to?

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Your suggestion that the Seeger box may be CDR

8. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

As a happy & proud owner of both the Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly sets that the Seeger set is designed to match, I can assure that they are all real CD’s. Great sets also. Looking forward to the Pete Seeger set.

9. Svein Arne

If you see the Leadbelly video you will see CDrs in the beginning of the video and at the end real CDs.

10. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I said no such thing. You must have misunderstood. These box sets are silver pressed discs. The majority of their discs are CDRs.

11. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I got Texas Moon a few days ago, and I have to say I prefer Beneath A Neon Star. Still good music, and nowhere near as bad as the reviewers have said it is.

The Killer likes this.
  12. rod

rod Senior Member

Mr. H likes this.
  13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

14. Svein Arne

15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeap, in a world that is now storing music 'clouds' aka hard drives.
    :crazy:
    I know from trying to preserve with backups on hard drives, can still be fatal.
    Being a music guy, i try to make sure i've always had a backup BACKUP.
    When you lose one and check your backup and that has also failed or inconsistent!!
    Got an older 3rd copy from many years back, but I've lost of lot.
    :cry:
    Going through it now.

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'm trying to back up my own personal memories before I forget the name of that girl I fell in love with at a 6th grade beach party. But I don't want to leave a written record.

Maybe I should write a novel and people will assume it is all fiction.

RSteven, melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  17. Svein Arne

That is why they store analog tapes and old wax rolls wich was recorded long ago.

melstapler likes this.
  18. Svein Arne

A new documentary on Charley Prides life is coming:

19. Svein Arne

More information here:How Can I Keep From Singing: Pete Seeger’s Centennial Celebrated With “The Smithsonian Collection,” 6-CD Box Including Previously Unreleased Music - The Second Disc

Tribute and rod like this.
  20. Svein Arne

A great song by Elvis Presley from one of his bad movies:

RSteven likes this.
  21. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Well lookee what the Postie turned up with...

[​IMG]

22. Svein Arne

I see that you also buys the Elvis FTD CDs.

RSteven and The Killer like this.
  23. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

There are a couple of us here that frequent the FTD thread as well.

RSteven and The Killer like this.
  24. Svein Arne

I have them all,books,cd,vinyl.

25. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Yup, BF and FTD get a decent chunk of my pocket money.