Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Listened to the second Tommy Duncan CD last night, Beneath a Neon Star in a Honky Tonk. Moments of brilliance to be had, but also some real duds e.g. "Tomato Can" and "Got a Letter From My Kid Today". "Daddy Loves Mommy-o" is a creditable, albeit slightly awkward, stab at rock 'n' roll. The highlight has to be his version of "Hound Dog", probably the first cover by a white singer:

2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Sounds like he has been listening to Big Mama Thornton.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  3. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Looks like a new cd is coming out on May 17th!

Hillbillies In Hell: Tribulations - Country Music's Tormented Testament 1952-1974 Compilation (Limited Edition)

Deep in the woods this smokey catalog of Nashville icons and hayseed misfits births 'Hillbillies In Hell: Tribulations' - a subterranean collection of deathly Nephilim, swampy graves, teenaged suicidal ideation, tormented Gospel tales, grisly mountain murders, craven lustmords, Apocalyptic visions and problematic parenting. Often originally waxed on microscopic labels and distributed in minuscule amounts, these troubled and sometimes forgotten troubadours sing of lustful homicides, masonic assassinations and Satan's perpetual slaves. Years in the making - 'Hillbillies In Hell: Tribulations' presents 32 testaments of timeless tribulations - sinful succubi, axe-wielding cuckolds, vengeful Hill-folk and the eternal quest for blistered redemption. A Mephistophelean cache of primordial 45s - some of these sides are impossibly rare and are reissued here for the very first time. All for your prurient listening pleasure. *Limited Edition Deluxe 32 Track CD with 20 page booklet!*Exclusive scholarly liner notes by Alvin Lucia! *Full dynamic range 2019 remasters direct from the first generation analogue master tapes

4. Svein Arne

I got all of these.:righton:

rod likes this.
  5. Svein Arne

I call it twisted/gloomy country.

6. Svein Arne

This should have been one of these CDs:
    https://www.amazon.com/Birth-Work-Death-Country-1950-1970/dp/B07F9GH9W3/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=birth,work,death+cd&qid=1554504941&s=music&sr=1-1
    Here is another one missing from this serie:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-...891189KH64J&psc=1&refRID=ET42TZN38891189KH64J

Lonnie Glosson - Let Jesus Turn You On [1960s Country Gospel]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

[​IMG]
    George Strait's recent studio album "Honky Tonk Time Machine" is a decent yet uneven collection of songs penned by the likes of various songwriters such as Johnny Paycheck, Chuck Ainlay, Luke Laird, Barry Dean and Lori McKenna and George's son Bubba. However, the highlight of this album is his interpretation of the Jim Lauderdale composition 'Two More Wishes.' Through the years, Grammy award-winning Lauderdale has written numerous hits for George. At times when George seems to lose direction or record fluff in favor of commercial appeal, leave it to Jim Lauderdale to keep it 100% country.

[​IMG]
    George Strait with hit singer-songwriter Jim Lauderdale

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  8. melstapler

Jim Lauderdale's enjoyable version of 'Two More Wishes' makes it easy to see why George Strait needed to record this song. In fact, I wish George would record an album comprised entirely of Jim Lauderdale compositions.
    [​IMG]
    Jim Lauderdale holding one of his Grammy awards
    [​IMG]
    Nancy Jones (widow of George Jones) and Lisa Marie Presley with Jim Lauderdale

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  9. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

My Louisiana Hayride box came yesterday. Wow. One thing I wish Bear Family would take into consideration is that the boxes need to be beefed up for such a massive collection. I messed up part of the box just getting the book out. Awesome set, just needs something stronger to keep it in.

The production is magnificent, I held off so long getting it because I was afraid the old live recordings wouldn't sound good.

After listening for most of the night and this morning, I have a huge question. As important as James O'Gwynn was to the Hayride, how can there be no reissues of his work anywhere? I know BACM has a single cd, but the sound is horrid. He would be perfect to do a 3 cd set like they did on Frankie Miller and Eddie Noack. Same with Carl Belew. I am worried like everyone else that Bear Family is done putting out new cd's on obscure country artists.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  10. GodBlessTinyTim

Received my first Binge release the other day, the one by Joe "Cannonball" Lewis. Decent sound and a brief biography which I didn't expect to be there. I'll definitely be seeking out more Cattle Compact/Bronco Buster CDs; too bad many of them are so elusive. If anyone happens across this one in particular, please do inform me.

[​IMG]

Great suggestion. Even a single disc with his '56-'62 Starday/Mercury/"D" recordings would be nice. There apparently was a five-CD box set with his complete 50's-70's recordings sold through his fan club, but it's so rare that only a few webpages attest to its existence. Scroll to the bottom of this page: James O'Gwynn

Svein Arne and baptistbusman like this.
  11. baptistbusman

I had never heard of it before. Kind of reminds me of that 4 cd set Jan Howard’s fan club put out.

It’s now at the top of my list of “holy grail” CDs.

JAMES O’GWYNN-Pride of the Hayride, 5 CD SET, COUNTRY | #149134329

I bet @melstapler has a copy or 2.

melstapler likes this.
  12. Svein Arne

StraitFever

melstapler likes this.
  13. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I buy every Strait album when they come out.
    They aren't all super albums, but I still enjoy them.
    I'll pick this one up in due time, probably on Vinyl, my preferred buying preference.
    I wonder what's going on with his art department?
    The last few album covers have all been 'clingers' in my opinion.
    Very average to say the least.

melstapler likes this.
  14. baptistbusman

[​IMG]

Scott Bomar posted this on Facebook this morning, here is the picture that is part of the post.

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

How many discs?

Is the assumption correct that all of the Merle and Buck in this set are also on their individual BF box sets?

melstapler likes this.
  16. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

10 discs. Loads of unreleased demos, live tracks and alternatives from the likes of Buck Owens, Merle Haggard and Red Simpson.

17. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Per facebook:
    "Big news! This summer Bear Family Records will release this 10-CD "Bakersfield Sound" box set and 220 page book, produced and written by yours truly. If you know me, you probably already figured out that this is just about my favorite project I've ever worked on. There's some incredible stuff here that's never been heard before, including a guitar-vocal work tape of recent parolee Merle Haggard laying down a newly-written song (likely the earliest known recording of Merle's voice), two songs (plus outtakes) from a Haggard session for Tally Records that were believed lost until now, live tracks from Don Rich's last "Toys for Tots" show in Bakersfield, and unreleased recordings from Red Simpson, Billy Mize, Bonnie Owens, Bill Woods, Jan Howard, Buck Owens, and more. Featuring hundreds of rare photos and a foreword by Chris Shiflett of Foo Fighters, this set goes deep! Many hours - no, make that YEARS - of collecting, digging, listening, interviewing, refining, writing, re-writing. This is the project I thought might never end, and now I can't wait for it to be released into the wild!"

18. Svein Arne

A great CD with Jerry Kennedy a legendary recordproducer and Johnny Hortons guitarist Tommy Tomlinson:

I got it is not a CDr,maybe it is now.:pleased:

melstapler and spanky1 like this.
  19. baptistbusman

Is there a estimated release date yet?

20. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I agree, this is a great one. Mine isn't a cd-r either. I wish they'd release the one Tom & Jerry did with the songs of Ray Charles.

I'm new to the world of podcasts, but the very first one I listened to was an interview with the legendary Jerry Kennedy. I highly recommend it.
    Episode #77 – Jerry Kennedy

Svein Arne likes this.
  21. GodBlessTinyTim

Listened to the first two discs of Bill Haley's Rock 'n' Roll Arrives box last night, good fun in both the music and the presentation.

I also quite like the ten-or-so tracks by Lou Graham backed by The Saddlemen. Despite being in his twenties, he had an adolescent quality to his voice.

Lou Graham and The Saddlemen I'm Lonesome GOTHAM G -429- A

This ought to be awesome, glad to hear there's unreleased material by the big names and lesser-knowns alike. My only question is, why is the foreword written by a member of the Foo Fighters?

baptistbusman likes this.
  22. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

I guess Dwight and Marty were busy:cool:.

(The foreword is quite good, actually.)

23. jimbo3688

jimbo3688 Forum Resident

Chris Shiflett is a guitarist with the Foo Fighters, but also tours and issues CD's under his own name. He also does the Walking the Floor podcast where he has interviewed giants such as Merle Haggard, Lucinda Williams, Dwight Yoakam and Steve Earle along with lesser known current Americana musicians. I don't know how he got the gig with Bear Family, but maybe he knows somebody involved with putting it together as he is based in California.

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  24. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

Here comes another one ..pre-ordered daddy-o!

[​IMG]

25. melstapler

The Jan Howard 4CD box set was rewarding on many levels and even rivaled many major label box sets of the 90s and 2000s. I do have that release, which she personally autographed.

Sadly, I don't have a copy of the James O'Gwynn set and am not certain as to whether or not it was ever given a proper release. He left behind such an enjoyable body of work which deserves more attention. Although his output has been severely neglected by reissue labels around the world, we're fortunate to have copies of his late-period album on CD and of course the original LPs and singles in circulation.

I'd be interested to learn more before possibly buying. For example, it would be nice to know how many copies were manufactured and what source materials were used for these tracks. Also, were these sets manufactured as replicated CDs? Based on the information they've provided, the collection was "released" after James perished and there's no indication that his estate was involved. Until we know more details, I'm inclined to suspect these were one-offs made by loyal fans with audio sourced from needledrops on home-burned CD-Rs. Also, does this "box set" include the last proper studio album James released, entitled "Still Singing Country?" I bought a copy of that CD from a seller in a flea market and he was somehow connected with the label. That album is comprised of sessions which seemingly date back to the late 70s/early 80s, although there's no shortage of traditional country which indicates James was possibly on the verge of a comeback at that time.

Reader, Lucretius and GodBlessTinyTim like this.