Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

You'll be happy with that decision.
    There are 100 or so Tiffanys still out there too few people have heard. There were even more before the Real Gone set, which crossed a few more off the list. I got most of the rarities from a private collector several years back who converted from original transcription discs. But the sound is iffy on many of the cuts (Real Gone improved a couple dozen or so greatly). The Tiffany website notes that there was a Vol. 10 in the original set that wasn't the McKinney Sisters, which was never released by Kaleidoscope once that company gave up the rights. The track listing is denoted at the site, and it has a few more tracks that have gone unheard. That said, the first disc of second box set is essentially the same band that played on the Tiffanys, and a number of those rare cuts are performed there. Afterward, Tommy Duncan and others departed the band, and there was a decided downturn in the quality of the band's performances, although it's still top-notch Western swing.

One other reason to lament the demise of the Real Gone set: the accompanying booklet included a complete list of all known Tiffany recordings, a valuable resource. Wills' biography included a list, but it was missing several dozen recordings that subsequently surfaced.

2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

More information about Tiffany recordings here:
    Anita Anderson Collection on Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys, 1946-1948

melstapler likes this.
  3. Svein Arne

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’m hoping that Amazon CA will have a deal on this one on Prime day. Last year was awesome

melstapler likes this.
  5. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

how awesome was it ???!!!?

melstapler likes this.
  6. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

melstapler likes this.
  7. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Holy Cow, there is a ton of low prices. Bill Monroe 59-69 is like E30. Connie Francis Lipstick is E40, Tennessee Ernie Ford box is E60.

8. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

melstapler likes this.
  9. Svein Arne

I bought the cheap Bill Monroe box.That is great.

:righton:

melstapler likes this.
  10. Svein Arne

11. Svein Arne

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

By "Real Gone" set do you mean the 2 cd set?
    i ordered it at the low price, $73 delivered to usa. now it is much higher. thanks

The Killer likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There ar a few others, but most seem to be at regular prices

14. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Great, I’ll get my commission invoice raised and off to you!

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  15. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

would be grateful if anyone finds a great deal on the bob wills san Antonio rose box set or tiffany transcriptions box set on collectors choice...as I've been searching round for a year or more with no success
    cheers john .m

16. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

Yes, the wonderful 2-CD Tiffany set is kaput.

17. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

yes that's it

18. Svein Arne

19. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazon.ca's search algorithm is screwed up, so it will often show overpriced alternative listings for the same item. For instance, the first result may show only one copy available for some outrageous price, whereas the same CD will appear again much lower in the search results available from dozens of sellers for reasonable prices. When browsing Amazon I usually use the US site and manually change the URL to .ca after finding the correct listing.

Svein Arne likes this.
  20. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

There's been a lot of buzz with regards to the U.S.-based classic country-oriented label Country Rewind Records. Known for previous CDs by Conway Twitty, Waylon Jennings, Faron Young, Connie Smith, Ferlin Husky and Mickey Gilley, they've recently released some enjoyable new CDs by Johnny Russell, Carl Smith, Jeannie C. Riley and Blueridge Mountain Bluegrass Band.

Johnny Russell "All I Gotta Do Is Act Naturally" new CD release on Country Rewind Records

21. Svein Arne

22. Svein Arne

LoveandTheft and darling like this.
  23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I've actually experienced the same on the Amazon US site in the last few months. Just exactly as you described

melstapler and PhantomStranger like this.
  24. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Someone freeze my chequing account before it's too late! I've been trying to get a little more into bluegrass, recently ordering CDs by Jimmy Martin and Red Allen... and then I found a Canadian seller offering Jim & Jesse's BF box for a great price. It may be a lot of one artist for a neophyte to take in, but their style feels very accessible.

Here's the seller I bought it from, he's listing numerous BF sets for 10 dollars per disc or less. Only ships within North America, though.

Buy Vinyl Records and CDs from overthetopmusic at Discogs Marketplace

As much as I love Chuck, I don't mind some alternate takes/mixes being left off as most of them are probably near-indistinguishable from the released ones. Would have been nice to have those Top Gear performances, though.

25. Svein Arne

Can release them on double cd and named it:Missing from the box:D