Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

From the Hank snow museum:

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  2. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

You guys are killing me.

Dave Garrett and melstapler like this.
  3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

AlmanacZinger and melstapler like this.
  4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

;) Blame it on me if your wife complains, but you'll definitely need a backup copy of the second Freddie King box set. His later material was still of a high quality and for the remaining output period, you get everything King recorded until the very end. Sometimes I either leave the mint/unplayed copy in the plastic or unseal it and immediately place in a protective sleeve.

Rick Bartlett and The Killer like this.
  5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Received Bear's Bonnie Dobson CD today. Looking forward to hearing it. I really hope they scoop up her rights up and put out a set. I can't imagine hers would be too much of a pain to put together and promote. In fact, even if I could find her OOP CDs from Rev-Ola I wouldn't want to. Compressing folk music is the worst audio sin out there. Compressing rock? Not fine, but you can see some reasoning ('people want it loud'). But doing that to folks like Dobson and Pete Seeger is unforgivable. Bonnie needs someone to put her collective work on CD properly. C'mon, Bear.

6. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I got my "Bristol Sessions" from Amazon UK today. All fine and dandy. So I open it up and listen to the first disc, then pop the second one in......something sounded very familiar

[​IMG]

Anyone see a problem???

melstapler likes this.
  7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Maybe it's a four disc set and they were just being generous. :angel:

8. Svein Arne

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Why not just ask melstapler to adopt you?That way you get his entire collection. To make it more attractive to melstapler, offer to do some chores for him.

10. Svein Arne

Return to sender.

11. revolversoul

revolversoul Forum Resident

Just received the Ray Price box from Amazon. Price dropped to $209 , and that was the cheapest I had seen it new. Been wanting this one for a while, and finally gave in.

12. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I did buy this set a few years back, and I love it. Not music I play a lot, but I like to have the complete works. However, I heard that the songs are all sped up just a little bit to make room for all the songs on 16 CDs. Can anyone confirm or deny those allegations?

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My belief is that those allegations were concocted by the bootlegger of Reeves and Sinatra who has been on an anti-Bear Family crusade for years. I forget his name, but he is a real jerk.

14. Jarleboy

I am SO glad to hear this! I am not a fan of Jim Reeves, and the actual person seems to have been a bit of a jerk, according to many sources, among them some working for Bear Family. But he did record some songs that are magical to me - "DISTANT DRUMS", "I´M WAITING FOR SHIPS THAT EVER COME IN", "STAND AT YOUR WINDOW" and others - and I prefer to have those in the best possible versions. I played those, and the sound was excellent, as far as I could tell. And I have always been impressed by Bear Family products before.

Again, thank you! :righton:

RSteven likes this.
  15. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

I once told Richard Weize about those rumours – I never since heard him laugh so loud. And long.

16. Jarleboy

That reaction makes me feel even better! I did wonder how a professional company like Bear Family could do something that stupid. Glad they didn´t !

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  17. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Good ole Larry Jordan

melstapler and Jarleboy like this.
  18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I would have laughed right along with him too. The Jim Reeves Welcome To My World Box set features absolutely gorgeous remastering on his catalogue. One of the most noticeable highlights for me, besides the wonderful hit records on it like the title track, is the job they did on Jim's iconic holiday album, 12 Songs Of Christmas. I know RCA released that holiday album on CD in the 80's and the remastering was lackluster to say the least. I know Real Gone Music has been trying to get permission to remaster and release it on CD for the last couple of years. I have reminded people in the past that the only great remastering of his Christmas songs is on the Bear Family box set.

19. Svein Arne

That is Larry Jordan.But he has digged up lots of rare Jim Reeves recordings.

melstapler and Jarleboy like this.
  20. Svein Arne

And it got great sound on recordings done before Jim Reeves ended up on RCA.

Jarleboy and RSteven like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I hope you did not think my negative remarks were aimed at Jim Reeves. They were aimed at Larry Jordan. I have not followed his tirades against nearly everyone who crossed his (Jordan's) path in years. He unleashed his rage and fury and lies against almost anyone. He would even go on Amazon and blast someone who posted a four star review of one of his bootlegs. He went so far as to use aliases to embellish his tirades and use other aliases to praise Larry Jordan. He seems to be trying to win the prize for the worst person in the entire record industry. He has it.

22. Jarleboy

He, he. No, I did not misunderstand. (For once...) I understood whom you were blaming for those stunts. :agree:

No, my comments were about the singer. Gentle of voice, not so gentle of disposition. "Gentleman Jim" not so much.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I believe that is the way with most creative people.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Jarleboy

Maybe. I never knew the guy, of course. But a Bear Family representative described him as quite rude and obnoxious on a European tour. But, as you say, we don´t know the whole story, and we are not to judge. As I did rather eagerly. :sigh:

25. The giant Reeves box is hard to find these days.

Jarleboy likes this.