Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Actually it’s included in the box, but in the sessionography it doesn’t mention George Strait being on the track.

melstapler likes this.
  2. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Included in the box is the Hank Thompson 1973 recording. George Strait's "contribution" was overdubbed in the mid-90s.

melstapler likes this.
  3. baptistbusman

I think the 1973 version is on disc 4 in that set. The version on disc 8 was recorded in 1986 with George Strait and was included on his Dot records LP "Hank Thompson." The sample on Bear Family's website has George Strait singing on it. It was his final LP before he left Dot for Step One.

Hank Thompson Box set: The Pathways Of My Life 1966-86 (8-CD) - Bear Family Records

The Hank sets have to be the best all around boxes that Bear has put out. The music quality is top notch all the way through and the books both have Hanks input, which apparently he had a photographic memory.

4. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

OK I see. But as Mr. Bill Anderson once said, "If you're not mentioned in Richard's discographies, you don't exist. Tough luck." :cool:

5. baptistbusman

I figured there was a reason he wasn’t mentioned, I mean it’s obvious he is there....

I always see these Facebook posts “If you could have lunch with one famous person who would it be?” I actually think I would pick Richard so I could ask him about all of this stuff.

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

If that happens, I'm gonna gate crash your luncheon!
    I got questions too!
    ;)

melstapler likes this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

I'll quote myself, 'Now Mr Richard, Johnny Paycheck? Let's see..... where do i begin....'

melstapler likes this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

Actually, I did contact Richard one time about 'how about releasing the MGM era of Hank Jr material?
    He replied and was courteous with 'we probably won't be doing that'......
    I really like some of those early Hank Jr albums such as, 'Bocephus', 'Blues My Name', 'My Own Way', both
    of the 'Luke The Drifter Jr' Lp's.... right up to 'Hank Jr and Friends'.
    Oh well, I'll keep throwing it out there....

BRC likes this.
  9. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

That would be a long lunch.Lots of questions.

10. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Looks like were gonna buy these Bocephus vinyls on Ebay:

11. Rick Bartlett

Yes Sir. Got them all actually!
    In my opinion, the first album is pretty 'weak', being told to be a 'copycat' for the movie n all.
    But he's got some wonderful stuff thereafter!
    I love this era of Hank Jr.
    By the 80's, his musical appeal lost me some, but there are still gems in there.
    Nowadays, I really have a hard time listening to whatever he releases.
    Ocassionally! A real great song pops up, but you have to scour with a fine tooth comb to find them.
    Other than a compilation here and there, his MGM albums, have never been represented on CD.

melstapler likes this.
  12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

That would be incredible. We should get @Tribute to organize a meeting with Richard where we fly to Germany as a team. We'd need a projector as some of us would want to do presentations containing media and information on possible future projects.

baptistbusman and Rick Bartlett like this.
  13. Rick Bartlett

May I showcase one old video I uploaded many years back?
    Here is Hank Jr aka Bocephus doing 'Mental Revenge'.
    So many things a BF box set could do to represent and discuss about Hank Jr.
    Sorry bout the 'crappy' video/audio etc etc.....

Svein Arne and melstapler like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The best way to get Richard to meet is to offer him a ranch in North Dakota. One that has a complete Bear Family library to make him feel at home.

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would have lunch with Hank Williams, and have a third person there, a Yoga/Zen meditation teacher to give ol' Hank another way out of his pain.

melstapler likes this.
  16. baptistbusman

Got this from Amazon UK today.

Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Various Artists "Bakersfield Sound"
    Estimated arrival date: September 23 2019 - September 27 2019

Wonderful :/. Now what am I supposed to listen to?

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Merle

18. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I got the same. I think its an amazon strategy to get us to cancel our orders for the super low prices that we already locked in!

baptistbusman likes this.
  19. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Amazon probably needs a couple of weeks to unpack and throw away all that cardboard protection that the boxes come in when they ship from the Bear Family warehouse.

darling, John Porcellino, BRC and 7 others like this.
  20. Rick Bartlett

:biglaugh:

melstapler, Mychael and The Killer like this.
  21. ADKM

ADKM Active Member

Hi all, another Bear enthusiast here, been reading this thread (took 3 days!).
    First box I bought (about 2000-ish) was Lonnie's Pye In The Sky. Then Brenda Lee and the first Slim Whitman box.
    I love the discographies and enter all the details into a database, which does a few tricks like outputting tracks back in LP sequence etc.
    Subsequent box sets bought are The Vipers, Johnny Duncan, Del Shannon, Weavers, Pat Boone - the Sixties, and Frankies I Believe.
    After reading all this I went mad and ordered "Rawhide" from BF and I'm a Lonely Wanderer (EBay). Most smuggled successfully past my wife, after practice getting Helen Shapiro LPs past my Mum.

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  22. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I'd laugh too if it wasn't actually true!!!

23. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Just received a still sealed copy of this hot puppy (scored off of the 'scogs) from a vendor in Portugal.

[​IMG]

maloney, melstapler, Mychael and 2 others like this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I just can't get over how distributors eliminate the packaging that BF provides to protect the outer boxes. Years ago, Sunshine Music (a major distributore) kept it on

melstapler likes this.
  25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

You have exquisite taste. Lately, I've been intercepting the mail and hiding the packages in a waterproof storage bin outside which is clean. Once the wife becomes distracted or has gone to bed, I slip back outside to unbox the items to bring them inside after disposing of the packaging.