Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. I was actually looking at getting rid of most of the Bear Family box sets including the Fats Domino, not replacing it. When I kick this mortal coil, my wife will probably bring in a dumpster and toss it all out. She has no interest in that type of music, nor does she need the money,or the hassle of trying to sell them.

rod and darling like this.
  2. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Holy cow, I wish I'd bought a lottery ticket yesterday! Look what BF just announced within hours of me wishing for it:

Scotty Mckay CD: Scotty McKay Rocks (CD) - Bear Family Records

It even includes his jaw-dropping cover of "The Train Kept A-Rollin'" in which his band manages to one-up The Yardbirds.

(I will take this opportunity to reinforce my desire for a Charlie Feathers box to instantly materialize in a similar fashion.)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  3. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Shoot me a list if you do decide to sell. My wife is a few years older than me so I plan to outlive her. If not, I've asked her to donate my large CD collection to charity.

melstapler likes this.
  4. Will do if and when I’m ready. There must be around 300 box sets give or take. I know I bought the last George Jones and Roy Acuff boxes a year or two ago. The problem is they are either in Florida or Canada, I don’t have any here in the UK which was the last property we purchased.

5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely a must. Stoney's catalog being neglected by reissue labels is unjust and inexcusable. The outrage should be felt by all fans on a worldwide level.

brat and The Killer like this.
  6. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Looking forward to this one.........
    [​IMG]
    KING SIZE TAYLOR: Dr. Feelgood - The Brits Are Rocking Vol.3 (CD)
    1-CD with 36-page booklet, 30 tracks. Total playing time approx. 78 minutes.

The third edition in our CD-series 'The Brits Are Rocking'!

The third part of our series featuring heroes of British rock 'n' roll is devoted to 'King Size' Taylor: recordings from 1963 and 1964, which Taylor recorded for the German Philips, Polydor and Ariola labels, accompanied by the Shakers or the Dominos.
    Kingsize Taylor has always been more rock 'n' roll than beat, and this CD is a hard-rocking compilation that guarantees true listening pleasure for every rock fan! As bonus tracks, there are three living room recordings from 1958 in really good quality, which are now released on CD for the first time!
    KING SIZE TAYLOR CD: Dr. Feelgood - The Brits Are Rocking Vol.3 (CD) - Bear Family Records

@Mychael
    Do you know what other British acts will be included in this series?

7. 926am

926am Senior Member

I emailed bear family and they responded that it is indeed deleted. They did not specify why.

Martin Byrne and melstapler like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That appears to be a disaster. I hope that all pressed copies made it to market and that there was not a recall and destruction of warehouse copies that had not made it to distribution.

Martin Byrne, melstapler and RSteven like this.
  9. GodBlessTinyTim

Unlike Billy Fury and Tommy Steele, King Size Taylor's stuff is pretty elusive on CD, so this is a welcome addition. He and his band flourished in the brief transitional period between rock 'n' roll and beat, a time when "twist music" had become its own genre in mainland Europe. I already have two-thirds of these songs on BF's Star Club box, but might still get it depending on how good the 1958 home recordings are.

I smell some legal BS.

Jason W and MerseyBeatle like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

11. PeterH

PeterH Forum Resident

In their newsletter on December 14 BF wrote:
    "After delivery delays due to the enormous demand our 12-CD Deluxe Edition of Fats Domino 'I've Been Around' BCD17579 now available again."

So I don't think it was recalled or something like that. Possibly the licensing specified a maximum number of copies and they underestimated demand?

12. I would imagine that most people who wanted this release have received it. Other than this forum of senior citizens, I don’t imagine there is some great pent up demand for Fats Domino coming from the internet. Unless you live in New Orleans most younger buyers probably have never heard of him. We are a bunch of aging boomers here, what we perceive as demand is limited. Bear Family probably recognized that and produced accordingly.

Cousin It and rod like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I disagree.

Though the legends of the foundation of rock'n'roll will never be as popular as they were in the 50's, they will have some permanent audience through the generations, just as has occured for jazz. Most (virtually all) of the buyers of the first pressing of the Bear Family box were not in Fats Domino's original fan base. They learned about him much later. That phenomenon will continue in the future.

The same applies to most of Bear Family's catalog. The buyers of the Roy Acuff box were very unlikely to be in his fan base when he ruled the Opry. And probably not one buyer of the Carter Family box was even alive when they were recording.

And so forth.

Intellectual curiosity, including in the history of music, is not gone from this world.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    jimbo3688, Mr. H, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  15. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

You'd be surprised if you see the democratics of the people who buy this (and other stuff) – or the readership of magazines such as Vintage Rock. Most are under 30, while your so-called aging boomers probably think (as expressed here countless times) that they all have this stuff already and don't need "another repackaging".

Judge Judy, jimbo3688, Mr. H and 4 others like this.
  16. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Apart from an artist death, this is the worst possible news. Hopefully another label will clone the 12CD set and reissue it with condensed packaging.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Come on! Fats deserves a fat book! Maybe Slim Harpo could do with a slim pamphlet.

There can never be enough photos of The Fat Man, even as a little man.

[​IMG]

18. So tell us then, Mychael, why would this box set sell out so quickly if there wasn’t a very small market? If Bear Family thought they could sell five thousand, why weren’t more pressed? Why such a limited run?

I still think most of you guys are whistling past the graveyard if you think the younger generations really care.

19. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

If you want to know what "the younger generations" really care about, then look at the special editions of new albums by current acts - from Taylor Swift to Metallica – which all appeal to people who want to have a beautiful physical product on their shelf. Those special box sets, hardbound fan editions, RSD packages and whatnot all sell out in a hurry. In fact, whole genres like K-pop and metal/prog specialize on these sets as the next step after streaming.

(As for the Fats Domino set – I'm not connected to Bear Family's sales department ;-) ...)

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Too much negativity for me.

21. darling

darling Senior Member

'I demand you tell me why you have sold out of something I had no intention of buying!'

Judge Judy likes this.
  22. GodBlessTinyTim

I was 22 when I started this thread, so we are out there. Besides, shouldn't the updated Lefty Frizzell box be long out of print by now in that case?

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

22 going on 62.

Myself, I am going on 22 in reverse. I may go right past that, according to my wife, and be 12 before long.

I just don't want to reach the "terrible 2's"

24. Reader

Reader Senior Member

The new Fats box does seem unusual due to it's being gone so quickly. I did get a copy and will start listening this week. I really love all the recordings of Mr. Domino and would have been very disappointed to miss this new version.

I'm curious how many here got a copy? Do we have a clue how many copies were available for sale?

25. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I ordered a copy and it arrived from Europe a few days ago. Haven't started listening yet.

P.S. I'm not a Boomer...a Gen Xer who happens to love a lot of music from the time before I was born.