Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Another great Fats foto.

also love the clock-lamp

[​IMG]

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I bought one direct from Bear on preorder (and received it) I'm not a senior citizen though as I'm only 54 and three quarters.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

3 months until senior status.

Quick, do all the things that young people do, right now.

RSteven, The Killer and melstapler like this.
  5. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

I’m 36 and never lived in New Orleans yet I bought the set at the end of December so... maybe you should rethink most of your assumptions above ;)

6. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

Fats' music is for the ages. If his songs don't make you smile, IMO, no matter your age, you've had too much work done. Glad I pulled the trigger on this one.

7. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

melstapler and Artur Torres like this.
  8. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

I am just 52 years old and love all the older music .

9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Members of "younger generations" are probably lurking and/or participating in this thread. In fact, I guarantee it.

KirkK likes this.
  10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

As I'm in the process of changing careers and moving I don't have a rig up to really dig in, but I've been poking around my Anita Carter set and this is a thing of beauty. She had a very interesting range of material, and unlike some fans, I think she was suited to all of it.

Unfortunately I see this set going for over 1k. Scalpers are ridiculous. But if any of you have a chance to purchase this at a reasonable price, proceed with confidence. Fantastic book too.

11. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Hate to change the subject from the Fats talk, but I am starting to look forward to the Rich R Tone box. I’m curious to see how the sound will be considering how bad some of the Stanley Brothers and Wilma Lee And Stoney releases have sounded.

Mr. H, Reader and melstapler like this.
  12. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I pre-ordered my copy and have listened to it once.
    You will not be disappointed with what you hear.

It is clear how important Messrs. Domino and Bartholomew are in the the history of modern music.

13. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Scalpers as well as morons. I’ve been watching the Bob Wills Faded Love box on eBay and they, at this moment, have driven it up to $236. It’s still in print, only out of stock at Bear Family and it usually goes for good prices brand new. Idiots have been ruining all the good deals on eBay.

14. Svein Arne

here is a great older music:

Rick Bartlett and maloney like this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Regarding listing prices (in this case for the Anita Carter box), we always must remember that these are not the prices that something actually "goes" for, unless someone actually buys it. They are the "offering prices"

I often slip myself and say something is "going for" some high price. But that is wrong. There is a Charlie Parker record out there that someone is listing for $5,000. In his product description, he states: "Please don't buy this! It is precious to me!"

If anyone wants my Anita Carter box for $999, private message me. It is precious to me.

16. Svein Arne

This is an extreme expensive box set from Gene Autry.You will get bankrupt if you buy this:yikes:
    RAREST FIRST PRESSING Record SET gene autry vinyl 9704 9706 supertone 10" 78 WOW | eBay
    :faint:

17. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Not sure I really understand any of this. All I know is a few months ago people were selling this set for about $192.00 US and the nanosecond Bear deletes the box these same sellers upped the price to near $1,500.

Jerk move, IMO. YMMV. Maybe it's just business as usual. I dunno.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But, I seriously doubt anyone on earth will pay those prices. So it will not actually sell at those prices.

In many on-line shopping sites, someone might contact the dealer privately and make an offer that is accepted, or the dealer may remove the item from the list (possibly to increase potential customer anxiety). So even if the listing disappears, it does not mean the sale was made at that price.

I have seen a number of cases where a dealer has several identities and lists the very same item, one at an extreme price and one at a lower price. This is intended to make a potential customer think he is getting a good deal.

The Killer and Rick Bartlett like this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is just a dealer trying to get customers to make some offer that he accepts. It's an alternative marketing ploy to listing an obscure item in an auction where the winning bid is the minimum bid because hardly anyone is interested. If someone offers $100 for this rare 78 RPM listed at $6,700, the dealer just might accept it. Maybe he would accept $50. The same dealer is also listing a promotional hair comb from the 1970's at $1,700. He wants someone to make an offer, and then choose whether to accept it. If he lists the item in an auction, he must accept the minimum bid or lose his EBay shop. But here, he can pick his customer without risking his Ebay status.

20. darling

darling Senior Member

Hey, everything is negotiable.
    I think I listed my copy of the Sandy Denny box on here for something like $1,000. I didn't particularly want to part with it, but at that price, I would have.

21. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are a handful of BF products I've seen sell for those absurd prices. A copy of Tennessee Jive went for $999.98 last year. I recall one of the Doris Day sets going for something like $500, and apparently a Rosemary Clooney box went at $450.

22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Remember what the Lefty Frizzell set was commanding before the 'big bertha' release?
    [​IMG]

23. Svein Arne

Thanks for information.:tiphat:

24. Svein Arne

25. RSteven and Shvartze Shabbos like this.