Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

That's great news! My family will be glad to hear that there'll be no more night shifts and weekend work.
    :D {Cancels MOJO interview about Bear Family that's scheduled for today...}

2. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Forum Resident

I’m already saving up for Connie Smith. Is the Rich-R-Tone set on the plans for this year?

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  3. RSharpe

RSharpe Forum Resident

T
    Assuming the rumour of a second Brenda Lee box is correct, what tapes were you planning to use if Brenda had hers destroyed in the fire at Universal almost 12 years ago?

melstapler likes this.
  4. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

There's a second Brenda Lee box coming?

melstapler and baptistbusman like this.
  5. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

The Richard Weize Christmas CD’s are great! Apparently there’s another one from RWA entitled Christmas Up North, which I haven’t heard. The RWA albums plus Bear Family’s Have Yourself A Swingin’ Little Christmas were all in heavy rotation ’round these parts this past season.

6. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

BLB2 is what we call it

7. RSharpe

RSharpe Forum Resident

No, I said assuming the rumour in this thread is correct. I didn’t make a statement, I asked a question of possibility.

8. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

I think Bear Family needs to invest again in Jazz and launch a Box covering Nancy Wilson's first decade of career.

melstapler, RSteven and Mychael like this.
  9. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Christmas up north is an 10 inch LP vinyl wth Canadian artists.It is great,i got it.it rocks.
    CHRISTMAS UP NORTH / VARIOUS (10IN) (GATE) (GER) (US IMPORT) VINYL LP NEW | eBay

munjeet and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  10. And if Madam Cleo was so clairvoyant, she would have seen her indictment coming.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  11. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Please give us a heads up when it’s published! I’ll need to go out of my way to fetch a copy.

12. Svein Arne

13. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Christmas Up North is absolutely essential for Canadian oldies collectors, and a fun listen for anyone else. What sets it apart is that all of the selections are original songs, without any retreads of Christmas standards.

14. Svein Arne

Do you know about the record company 4star records?They was a big record company in late 40s and inthe whole 50s.There has been several great releases from this company with rockabilly on Bear Family,and 1 with hillbilly bop from Richard Weize Archives.Here is one with cowboy/western tunes i found and have bought:
    https://www.amazon.com/Club-78-4-ST...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C2ME5AVTKV4XANNA6KDX
    Here is 1 from Bear Family
    Various - That'll Flat Git It! CD: Vol.26 - Rockabilly From The Vaults Of 4 Star Records (CD) - Bear Family Records
    1 from Richard Weize Archives:
    Various CD: Play The Music Louder - 4 Star Boogies & Jumpin' Hillbilly (CD) - Bear Family Records
    Another great rockabillies release:
    Various CD: 4 Star Rockabillies (CD) - Bear Family Records
    I got them all,great music.Now we can wait for Bear Family to make a big CD box set from this recordlabel.:righton::tiphat:

THEODORE WILBURN: Goose Pimples (4-Star Records) 1950 -- Louisiana
    Rocky Bill Ford and his Rocky Road Ramblers - At My Expense - 4 Star Records
    (1950) 4 Star 1492 (0:00) ''Cool Down Mama'' b/w (2:14) ''Schoolboy'' Lost John Hunter

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  15. PeterH

PeterH Well-Known Member

A Bear Family box with the 4 Star recordings of Maddox Brothers and Rose would be great. Some of it appeared on Arhoolie CDs but a Bear Family update with their complete early output would be nice (to complement their Columbia BF box) : Praguefrank's Country Discography 2: Rose Maddox

16. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It’d be nice if they reprinted their other box on them, too. I lent mine years ago like a fool and it never returned.

melstapler likes this.
  17. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Amazon has the Fats Domino box for $263 shipping in 1-2 months.
    The previous Out of New Orleans box is up to $655 (glad I got mine when it was new).

melstapler likes this.
  18. darling

darling Forum Resident

There are (at least) two amazon.com listings for Out of New Orleans - the other has it for $300 new ($125 used).

At this point, there really is no reason to get the old set - the new set is bigger and better. (And, obviously, you should pick one up from bim-bam.com (or elsewhere) ASAP. The box might be back in print one day, it might not, so grab it while you still can.)

melstapler, jimbo3688, DR.J and 3 others like this.
  19. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I assumed the Arhoolie CDs contained all their surviving 4 Star material, don't they? Regardless, I'd love if BF could do anything to improve the sound quality of those releases.

melstapler likes this.
  20. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Just ordered from bim-bam. The web site sure looks sketchy. Thanks for the tip (I think).

jimbo3688 and baptistbusman like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

Amazon USA is notorious for listing items that they will never receive

melstapler and MrSka57 like this.
  22. jimbo3688

jimbo3688 Forum Resident

I did as well.

DR.J and melstapler like this.
  23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

A Young Young
    :shh:

Mr. H and melstapler like this.
  25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

:righton: Faron's photo reminds me that we must embrace the positive aspects of life even in trying times.

Mr. H, Tribute and Rick Bartlett like this.