Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

And it does sound good to a point, but having the knowledge that something is going out of print wouldn’t do me any good. For instance I saw that Gene Autry set on Amazon go way down low on price and, like an idiot, I didn’t jump on it...if I had known it was not going to be reprinted....I sure wouldn’t have gotten it. The prices would have skyrocketed and some scalper would have bought every copy, instead of an actual fan, and would have re-listed them as “Out of Print Gene Autry” for $500, or on Discogs for like $1,200 like there is one now. Unless @Mychael taps us on the shoulder and whispers in our ears, it wouldn’t help, it would only take them off the market faster and drive the price up more for the remaining copies.

RSteven likes this.
  2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Sorry to say but plenty of companies do this, particularly boutique labels. Hell, the IR label does just that on this very site. Social media and e-mail makes this quite easy to do.

For one example, when Shout! Factory re-released their 4k color corrected Bruce Lee blu-rays, the most sought after versions of those classics, they gave everyone about a few months warning that they were not only going OOP, but that their contract stipulated the remaining copies would be destroyed and would never be repressed. Many companies keep tab on low quantities and give updates to their customers. It's not hard to do and I would think is a win-win for both sides: customers can prioritize the order in which they buy and the companies move their stock before it goes OOP.

The Arrow label in the UK are great at this.

I'm not just whistling dixie here.

EDIT: I should that I add that I don't know why some labels do or don't. I don't know the stipulations or ins-and-outs of this type of thing, I'm just saying some labels do indeed do this and that it's a great help to customers.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  3. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I disagree. Giving a heads up give potential "regular" buyers at least gives a fighting chance to get a copy before items go OOP. This is done regularly in both music and home video.

baptistbusman and melstapler like this.
  4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Goodness no. I found one for about 260. It stung a bit but overall I feel it was still worth it. The only time I even considered a paying a price like that was the Sandy Denny box set (which was 19 CDs).

baptistbusman likes this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I recall the Deluxe Edition 1CD on the Cracker Barrel label includes some bonus tracks which aren't on the regular version. Not sure if this would be considered an overdubs project since Connie is still with us and active, but Marty Stuart and his band did a terrific job on this project.

6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The restaurant has a label? I never knew. Do you have a link to this version of the CD?

melstapler likes this.
  7. melstapler

Definitely, that's the same restaurant chain. Although I'm not a big fan of their food, they have a fun store separate from the restaurant which allows you to shop without actually having to eat. Below, I'll include a link to the Cracker Barrel version.

Connie Smith: The Lost Tapes CD | Music, Movies Books | Music | Country Classics | Cracker Barrel Old Country Store - Cracker Barrel

PhantomStranger likes this.
  8. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The shops have a bit of charm to them. But I haven't been in one for almost 20 years! (After I left the south for college up in NYC). But then after being up north for almost 15 years, I was preparing to leave and found out that there was a CB in New Jersey!

melstapler likes this.
  9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

It's hilarious: after this back-and-forth about labels giving a warning for low quantities, the link you sent me actually has a log of how many are in-stock! (0). :laugh:

melstapler and baptistbusman like this.
  10. melstapler

New Jersey definitely makes sense. They seem to locate the restaurants along highways, which attracts RVers and truckers with their large parking lots. While traveling for work, I've been able visit a number of these store locations and yet the inventory can vary. I've been in some locations where they have barely any classic country titles, while others are filled to the brim. They seem to be stocking more titles by modern country artists in recent years, but humanity needs more Charley Pride and less Darius Rucker. I'd also recommend Connie's "Live In Branson" CD, which is a professionally recorded show from the early 90s.

Reader and AlmanacZinger like this.
  11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Got it on order along with the CB version of The Lost Tapes. :righton:

melstapler likes this.
  12. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

I bought an DVD with Dolly Parton only sold at cracker barrel.I always stop at these restaurant to look for releases.

Mr. H, RSteven and melstapler like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The other major collectors box set company, Mosaic, gives customers plenty of warnings at stages - like "running low" and "last chance". They do this on their website and through email for anyone who is on their mailing list.

RSteven likes this.
  14. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I’m a fan of their food, but I’m even more of a fan of feeding 7 people for less than $50 after tipping!

MerseyBeatle and melstapler like this.
  15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  16. Svein Arne

This has Grandpa Jones complete recordings for Decca:
    https://www.amazon.com/Country-Musi...randpa+jones+cd&qid=1582555320&s=music&sr=1-4

Can Bear Family release Grandpa Jones complete recordings for RCA on a CD?

Mr. H and melstapler like this.
  17. Svein Arne

I got a problem.
    I ordered Vol 3 and 4 of the serie
    British rockn roll at Decca, through
    Amazon.co.uk.
    These was sold by Bear Family records.
    Now Bear Family keeps sending many CDs of these CDs to me for free.
    I dont have to pay,they just keeps coming.Bear Family has a very good service.
    But this is to much,i dont need all these CDs.:confused:

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Has there been any update on the Fats Domino box?

Is it out of print for good?

19. Just picked up the Anita Carter box for $160 + shipping. Very pleased!

20. rod

rod Senior Member

If anyone is looking for the Bear Family Robert Mitchum "Thunder Road" soundtrack, I just received one from Millions of Records and they still have it in stock.

Mychael likes this.
  21. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

This one is another great Cracker Barrel exclusive. I seem to recall it got some attention here at the forum when it was first released.

George Jones The Smoky Mountain Boys CD | Music | Country - Cracker Barrel

There's a Cracker Barrel fairly close by my parents' house, and my dad likes to eat there, so I'll usually scan the CD racks when I take him there to see if there's anything interesting. I picked up the George Jones CD there after reading the very positive reviews of it.

22. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

How about a complete Bobby Fuller box? I spent a small fortune on the two old Del-Fi sets a while back and just ordered the Norton CDs, but would still gladly shell out for the BF omnibus treatment. He's one of those artists everyone needs to check out beyond the one big hit.

Never to be forgotten - Bobby Fuller Four

23. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

I really hope Bear does a BBF box as I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Just ordered this today
    [​IMG]
    The Bobby Fuller Four ‎– Magic Touch: The Complete Mustang Singles Collection
    Label: Now Sounds (2) ‎– WCRNOW57
    Format: CD, Compilation, Mono
    Released: 30 Nov 2018

24. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  25. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Steve Stanley did a great job on this one!

SteveFff and MerseyBeatle like this.