Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

So true. :D Many of us would prefer to see more discounts and fewer emails.

BRC, DR.J, baptistbusman and 2 others like this.
  2. GarrettCash96

GarrettCash96 Well-Known Member

Awesome! I'll definitely try to snag it, it's in a part of the store I doubt many people see let alone people who know what it is so I'll probably try to talk them down a little on the price too. Song by song commentary sounds epic! I didn't realize they were the first to do the song "Poison Love" which I knew from Doug Sahm and Webb Pierce's versions.

melstapler likes this.
  3. GarrettCash96

[​IMG]

Just scored this one for a great price online! I've gotten really obsessed with Rich in the past year and I only have a later Shelby Singleton comp of his Sun stuff. Bet there's going to be a ton of delights to be found in this!

4. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Here is a good one,perhaps the best recordings Charlie Rich has recorded:
    https://www.amazon.com/Aint-Gonna-B...Charlie+Rich+cd&qid=1590183429&s=music&sr=1-4

Charlie Rich - You Can Have Her
    Charlie Rich - I Washed My Hands In The Muddy Water
    tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13qkQPg5gdM
    Charlie Rich - Dance Of Love
    Charlie Rich - Down and Out (1965)

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The best rule is never pass up a good price for a used Bear Family set. Just buy it and worry about paying off other debts when they come to find you.

6. melstapler

You won't be disappointed with this box set! ACE did a nice job with Charlie's 60s material, but his Epic material is deserving of a comprehensive box set to fill those gaps.

The Killer, RSteven and Mr. H like this.
  7. GarrettCash96

I love the Smash recordings, I have both of his LPs he released on that label and I play them frequently. I think I'm going to get the Ace CD they did of the complete recordings for some tracks I'm missing and to have digital backups of that great music.

If only my wife thought the same way :rolleyes::p

Absolutely. His Epic years weren't my favorite overall for him but it undeniably had his commercial highpoints and a lot of genius moments that make buying the albums worth it. I consider Rich a talent on the level of someone like Ray Charles. The guy had an insane amount of talent and I only wish he had been understood more fully by his producers and the mainstream market over the years.

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

With a last name like Cash, don't tell me you are living on credit.

GarrettCash96, RSteven and melstapler like this.
  9. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

That's an excellent set, however, if I had to repurchase all of my Wills cds, I'd start with the TIFFANY TRANSCRIPTIONS box set(or the individual cds, but I probably wouldn't get the last one with the McKinney Sisters). After locating this set, I'd then get the Real Gone LOST TIFFANY 2-cd set. At this point, I'd get the Bear Sets.

I find myself listening to the Tiffany tracks much more than the standard releases.

10. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

With the exception of the Sun LP box set, and the recent mega-Sun cd set, I have all of the Bear Family Jerry Lee material. I seem to recall there the SOUTHERN ROOTS 2-cd set actually omitted some material that had been previously issued. It's been a while since I've listened to them, but I seem to recall some of the banter has been omitted. It also seems as if the lp box or the cd box had an extended version of HAUNTED HOUSE that doesn't reappear. I'm sure there are some Jerry Lee fans that will know exactly what is different between the releases.

11. GarrettCash96

All my cash is in my name :D

That's weird, if they already had that material released before why not put it on that on the 2CD set to make it truly complete? Would be interested in hearing what's with that.

melstapler likes this.
  12. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

His UNITED ARTISTS years were incredible. I seem to recall a duet album that he did with Bobby Goldsboro in that period. I wonder who owns the United Artists masters at this time?

melstapler and GarrettCash96 like this.
  13. GarrettCash96

Yes, from 1967. Not sure who owns the masters, but especially that period needs a great reissue!

[​IMG]

melstapler and spanky1 like this.
  14. Svein Arne

Del Reeves was designated smoker,look at this video.Mel is lucky he did not get burned:

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  15. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. Too late, it's ordered and on its way.

spanky1 and melstapler like this.
  16. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

It's ok, you'll certainly enjoy that big set as well. If you are like me, you'll enjoy the large book almost as much as the music. Bear Family knows how to create an informative and enjoyable book for their sets.

You have to search out the Tiffany Transcriptions box or individual cds. You will not be disappointed. The transcription tracks are longer than the standard tracks, and lend themselves to more "jamming" by the musicians.

The Killer, melstapler and DR.J like this.
  17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I do now! Peer pressure...

18. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

I just picked up the lost transcriptions, that’s what got me on the Bob Wills kick. I then picked up the bear family box which should arrive in a week or so. Now, your suggestion has me looking for the full set of the Tiffany Transcriptions. The box is not around and the individual CDs are too much; however, I found CD quality downloads on Qobuz (and HDTracks) for a reasonable price. Gonna pick up, at least, the first 5 tomorrow. I’ll get the last 5 in a couple weeks. Gonna have a lot of Bob Wills! Very excited to find this. Thanks! Love this thread!

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  19. Svein Arne

20. Svein Arne

21. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

You'll love it. Here is the set I'm referring to. It appears occasionally, so you have to keep looking.
    Bob Wills: The Tiffany Transcriptions 10-CD Box Set, Collectors Choice Mint | eBay

melstapler and DR.J like this.
  22. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

There actually was (not so long ago) some Faron Young activity on Richard Weize's desk – he even sent me a box set catalog no. ;-) ! Maybe still in licensing-we-don't-have-anyone-to-type-out-all-those-track-titles-limbo.

23. GarrettCash96

Mychael, have you ever heard anything about an attempt to do something on Del Reeves? I'm curious if he's on Richard's radar!

Mr. H and melstapler like this.
  24. melstapler

I wonder if it would be possible for Real Gone Music to reissue this 10CD Tiffany set (with or without new packaging)? The Lost Tiffany Transcriptions collection has already been brought back in print, so hopefully it would be a possibility in the near future. Gordon Anderson was at the helm of Collector's Choice when they released the 10CD box some years ago and now he continues to make quality reissues with Real Gone Music. For everyone who's interested in a possible reissue of that set, I'd recommend emailing a request to Gordon.
    Contact Us

Reader, Mr. H, spanky1 and 3 others like this.
  25. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Good shout Mel, I've got most of the discs picked up individually but a complete box would be great.

melstapler likes this.