Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Ray Price performing 'Invitation To The Blues' with a young Roger Miller. Roger wrote this song and was a member of Ray's Cherokee Cowboys.

Rick Bartlett, Reader, DR.J and 4 others like this.
  2. darling

darling Senior Member

I think those tracks were (mostly) released in the US, just not in the UK.

Carl's latter-day discography is a bit of a muddle: I wonder if Bear Family (or some other brave or foolish entity) would want to wade into those waters. I suspect that it would result in a very fulfilling box set if all the licensing could be resolved.

melstapler likes this.
  3. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Question on the second Leona Williams digipak Bear Family release. 'Old Loves Never Die.'

She was signed with Elektra Records briefly and cut maybe 6 (?) singles for them. Was it a cross-licensing issue to not include those tracks since the bulk of the discs were from UMG?

4. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

5. Svein Arne

6. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

7. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

"Old Loves Never Die" is a compilation of Leona Williams' Mercury recordings from 82-84.
    Why should recordings made for another label at another time be included? (Besides, both labels may currently have a distribution deal with Universal, but it's still two different labels and different licensing deals)

baptistbusman likes this.
  8. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. Having enjoyed Carl's other comeback projects such as "706 Re-Union" with Scotty Moore, "Go Cat Go" with U2/Paul Simon/George Harrison/Tom Petty/Paul McCartney/Ringo Starr/John Fogerty/Willie Nelson, the previous documentary with Paul McCartney, the "Class Of '55" album with Johnny Cash/Jerry Lee Lewis/Roy Orbison, the "Survivors" album with Johnny Cash/Jerry Lee Lewis, "Born To Rock" and the album "Carl Perkins & Friends" with Eric Clapton/George Harrison/Dave Edmunds, the comeback album "Friends, Family & Legends" from 1992 is the only album to disappoint. Although it featured a handful of notable guest stars such as Joan Jett, Chet Atkins, Charlie Daniels, Paul Shaffer, Travis Tritt and Steve Wariner, the album suffered heavily from overuse of cheesy keyboards.

'Pink Cadillac' is the first song from "Friends, Family & Legends" album released in 1992. I would love for the entire album to be remixed without the dreadful keyboard parts.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  9. Svein Arne

10. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

100% agreed. I don't think I realized it was strictly a Mercury set. I assumed it was the bulk of her recordings post-Hickory/RCA in the '80's.

11. Svein Arne

Connie Smiths first time at the Opry:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    melstapler likes this.
  12. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Further listening for Carl Mann fans, this CD features a trove of unreleased early recordings for the Jaxon label which hadn't yet been discovered when his Bear Family set was put together. The sound quality is pretty crummy on some tracks, mind. If I were made of equal parts money and shelving space, I'd buy nearly every Stomper Time CD.

Various - Hot Rockin' Music From Tennessee / The Jaxon Recording Story

Hot Rockin' Music from Tennessee: The Jaxon Recording Company Story - Various Artists | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

This was one of the most significant musical discoveries in recent memories, and really deserves wider coverage.

melstapler, darling and GarrettCash96 like this.
  13. Svein Arne

14. GarrettCash96

GarrettCash96 Well-Known Member

My Classic Carl Perkins set finally came in today, and I’m sure @Mychael will be pleased to know it is the version with the updated 27 page book!

15. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

New instalment in the Shake This Shack Tonight series, this one covering artists on Decca and its subsidiary Coral and featuring a decent number of lesser-knowns.

Various Artists CD: Gonna Shake This Shack - From The Vaults Of Decca And Coral Records Vol.1 (CD) - Bear Family Records

I certainly didn't know Jimmie "You Are My Sunshine" Davis did a version of "Cherokee Boogie". Even though it's not the best fit for his voice, the band is hopping.

Very nice! Another thing I like about the newer books is that the discography lists the track number for every included song. That way you don't have to keep looking at the back of the CD case to follow along.

16. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

I liked the Maddox Brothers and Rose box so much, I bought a second. First one is still sealed, second one is a pretty mint copy.

17. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

FYI, the kind folks in this thread helped me find a company in Spain, Jazz Messengers, that were selling Dean Martin - Return to Me. One of the last copies of this set. I ordered the set months ago and quickly received shipping confirmation. The only problem: it didn't arrive and didn't arrive and didn't arrive. Jazz Messengers were great. They tried to help me track the shipment but it was lost in the either. They returned my money. As these things go, just after they returned my money, the set shows up. Of-course I let them know and re-sent the payment. The point is, there are a quality, reputable seller and I was proud to do business with them.

Record and Vinyl Store specialized in Jazz Music - Jazz Messengers

18. GarrettCash96

If you ever want to put the duplicate in good, eager hands you know who to call :D

Vintage1976 likes this.
  19. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Mr. Bobby Bare has examined the new box and is apparently happy with the contents and how it looks. I guess Bear Family will unveil a release date in the next couple of days...

20. Svein Arne

21. GarrettCash96

So exciting! I just picked up a copy of his I Hate Goodbyes/Ride Me Down Easy album from 1973 that has a superb Silverstein track called "You Know Who." The amount of great Silverstein songs I haven't heard seems endless!

Juggsnelson, Mychael, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  22. Svein Arne

Here is another Shel Silverstein album by Bobby Bare:
    Bobby Bare CD: Lullabys, Legends & Lies - Bear Family Records

RSteven and Rick Bartlett like this.
  23. Svein Arne

24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

This great one from OMNI too, 'Singing In The Kitchen' of primarily Shel's songs with bonus tracks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It will be good having all of the Bobby/Shels work all together with the Bear Set.
    Good to see Bobby gave it the 'all clear' to go ahead.

GarrettCash96 likes this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Will the new Bobby Bare set include the tracks from Bobby's current CD release 'American Saturday Night'?
    I was unaware that this was recorded in 1978! and they are all Shel compositions....
    LISTEN: Bobby Bare Announces 'Great American Saturday Night' Album With 'Livin' Legend'

"Grand Ole Opry member Bobby Bare has announced a new album that's been years in the making. Great American Saturday Night is a project written solely by author and songwriting legend Shel Silverstein.

Originally recorded live by Bare in 1978, Great American Saturday Night is a 13-track concept album. The record follows a number of other Silverstein-penned albums recorded by Bare, including Drunk and Crazy, Down and Dirty, Drinkin’ From the Bottle, Singin’ From the Heart and Old Dogs, the latter a collaboration with Waylon Jennings, Mel Tillis and Jerry Reed, among others. Bare and Silverstein's friendship dated back to the early 1970s.

Readers can hear Great American Saturday Night's lead single, "Livin' Legend," above. The tongue-in-cheek track is indicative of Silverstein's characteristic style. Although he is perhaps most well-known for children's books such as The Giving Tree, The Missing Piece and others, the writer also penned dozens of songs, including Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue."

Great American Saturday Night is due out on April 17 and will be Bare's first release since 2017's Things Change. Fans can pre-order the album now.

Bobby Bare, Great American Saturday Night Track List:

1. "Great American Saturday Night" (Shel Silverstein)
    2. "Redneck Hippie Romance" (Shel Silverstein)
    3. "The Diet" (Shel Silverstein)
    4. "Painting Her Fingernails" (Shel Silverstein)
    5. "Goodnight Little House Plant" (Shel Silverstein and Fred Koller)
    6. "Livin' Legend" (Shel Silverstein)
    7. "They Won't Let Us Show It at the Beach" (Shel Silverstein)
    8. "The Day All the Yes Men Said No" (Shel Silverstein)
    9. "Time" (Shel Silverstein) (Shel Silverstein)
    10. "Whiplash Will" (Shel Silverstein and Fred Koller)
    11. "Me and Jimmie Rodgers" (Shel Silverstein)
    12. "Someone to Talk To" (Shel Silverstein)
    13. "Great American Saturday Night (Reprise)" (Shel Silverstein)

Svein Arne likes this.