Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Amazing good western music:

:edthumbs::tiphat::D

2. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

Coming late to this, but I recently saw the Carl/Clapton/Harrison/Ringo/Dave Edmunds/Rosanne Cash project, and it is a lot of fun. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a happier man than George Harrison playing Scotty Moore’s solo on “That’s All Right,” and later going into “Glad All Over.” The look on his face is that of pure, unfeigned joy.

3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I long ignored this CD for the simple fact that I thought it was a child singer on the cover. Quite the contrary, Cousin Emmy was in her thirties and forties when the contents of this collection were recorded, and one of the most adept performers of old-time Appalachian music I've ever heard. She wrote and debuted the bluegrass standard "Ruby", though it's based on a traditional number called "Old Reuben". Born in 1903, her repertiore was mainly mountain songs derived from centuries-old English ballads and jigs, along with blues-derived material and more contemporary country fare. During the folk-music redisovery of the 60's she played with the New Lost City Ramblers.
    [​IMG]

Mark J, Reader, melstapler and 2 others like this.
  4. Svein Arne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL14kOgO0-U

5. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

The new Bare set has "The Complete Great American Saturday Night" – that is, all of the above, plus three additional tracks omitted due to vinyl timings.

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Ahhh Fantastic! Thanks for the info.
    Looking forward to seeing and hearing this collection.
    So many great songs from Bobby and Shel, can't wait for the tracklisting too!

RSteven and Svein Arne like this.
  7. Svein Arne

Great no i save money since i dont have bought Bobbys album The complete great american saturday night.I will get it in the box.:D
    Will there be some Mercury recordings included?:shh:

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  8. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

So, which version of the Lefty Frizzell box to acquire?

The newer box has more discs, but the majority of them are narration by David Frizzell of the book, correct? I would assume the discs themselves may be "better" than the original 1992 discs. No new content outside of audio book that I'm aware of?

I have the original box is digital form from Sony as MP3, so looking to get a boxset to preserve. Preserve, yeah, that's what we do. Not hoarding.

EDIT: Read a bit more on the new box, seems like the way to go since new acetates and live recordings are present.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Rick Bartlett likes this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The new box has only a very small amount more music. If the old box is available as a bargain, I would buy that. If the price is the same, buy the new one.

I have both, and actually regret buying the new one.

Vintage1976, rod and Rick Bartlett like this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

But! What about the upgraded and bigger book?

Vintage1976 likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is bigger and hardbound, but when I went through a page by page, side-by-side comparison, the quality of the printing for many of the photos (both color and black and white) in the old book was better.

Like I said, it depends on price and condition. If the old box is a bargain, I would still go for it.

Vintage1976, rod and Rick Bartlett like this.
  12. Buisfan

Buisfan Forum Resident

Riley Puckett did When I grow to old to dream in early 30-ties, wrote it too.
    https://youtu.be/R3tSig1FD8w
    One of the finest songs he did.
    Honor to the one who deserves it. Lots of stealing, even Fats Domino put his name on it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  13. Svein Arne

The book in the first CD box you got to be carefull with.It is soft,and when you read the book you got to be careful it can easyli split in to two boks.

Vintage1976 likes this.
  14. Svein Arne

15. Rick Bartlett

RSteven likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I hope this one actually makes it to USA dealers

RSteven, Rick Bartlett and rod like this.
  17. rod

rod Senior Member

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have a pretty large collection of vintage country LPs. But way back when Bear Family really started putting out major collections, I slowed down because I wanted to get the BF set or wait until they got around to it. I still bought items that I thought BF would never do (CD and LP) but sometimes I was wrong and still needed the BF set.

19. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Special US promotion activities (and a truckload of review copies for US magazines, radio and TV) are apparently in preparation right now.

20. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Need anyone in the UK to review it? Asking for a friend... :)

RSteven, Rick Bartlett, rod and 2 others like this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Your a funny Killer!
    :biglaugh:

The Killer likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The Killer and RSteven like this.
  23. Svein Arne

RSteven likes this.
  24. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

25. Svein Arne

Maybe there is something extra from the recordsession.