Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Probably not. Haven't both editions (LP/CD) sold out?

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  2. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Bear Family still lists it as available to order on their website (as opposed to 'unavailable'). No real problems finding copies for sale online.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  3. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Just ordered by first Bear release from eBay - Johnny Burnette Trio - "Rockabilly Boogie!"

I'm already familiar with a good amount of the music thanks to the Stray Cats' versions. From skimming this thread, this seems like a pretty solid release, so I'm definitely excited for it to arrive!

4. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Cancel your plans to buy diamonds and pearls and buy this box set:

[​IMG]

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeah, I'll second that!
    Huge Johnny Burnette fan here, I'm glad this one was done.
    10/10 for sure!

JeffHunt likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That photo reminds me of the days when guys were pushing each other away from the mirror in the "boy's room" at the dances to get some face time with the mirror to get their hair just right.

If you got it just right and could get out of the boy's room without some other guy messing up your hair, you just might emerge to have three girls swarm all over you.

All you needed was a good comb and some good hair "grease".

JeffHunt and Rick Bartlett like this.
  8. JeffHunt

A little dab will do ya'!

9. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's a great one to start off with. Unquestionably one of the greatest rockabilly collections of all time.

I recommend this box set with the caveat that most of it isn't rockabilly, and a lot isn't even rock of any kind. Johnny spent most of his time after leaving Coral trying to become the next teen idol. The choice of shirt he's wearong on the cover of the box says a lot. The first disc is pure rock 'n' roll nirvana and the last three CDs are super-cool demos, just the ones in between exist squarely (pardon the pun) in the pop realm. Here's one of his last charting records:

Does the accompanying book have liner notes of any sort, or is it just... more of what you'd expect?

JeffHunt likes this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

No book.
    The back cover of every album has a little blurb under the song titles/artist, along with some 45 single label scans.
    Some of the information is barely known if any, as some of the tracks are labelled as such.
    Some no history whatsoever, just a obscure 45 that's been found, and now preserved in this collection.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  11. Svein Arne

12. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The book is just the tracklists and lots of pictures.

13. GodBlessTinyTim

RWA's 10" LPs and a few of their CDs are going for 10 bucks each on Bluebeat Music. There's no way to filter for them specifically, but they should all be on this page:

Search Results : Bluebeat Music

14. JeffHunt

Went out of town for a few days to visit my family, so I hit up the local record store while I was in town, and I found the BF "Eddie Cochran - Rocks" CD brand new for $13.99, and the HooDoo Johnny Burnette "Rock N' Roll Trio / Dreamin" comp brand new for $5.99!

I'm VERY pleased with that mini haul!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  15. GodBlessTinyTim

Rocks is a contender for the best single-disc Cochran comp out there. It has some rarities like the original version of "C'mon Everybody" under its original title.

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When you are good to your family you are rewarded with musical pleasure.

17. JeffHunt

The Eddie CD was marked down to $13.99 from a sticker price of $50.95!

Lownotes likes this.
  18. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

With that sticker price, I can see why it was still in stock. How and why do stores do this? Just a quick glance at Amazon shows that it's in stock and available for $20.99.:crazy:

You're price was a good deal. I have the Lloyd Price ROCKS cd, and it's very well done. Great selection, and nice booklet.

19. GodBlessTinyTim

Ho-lee! I know some brick-and-mortar stores overcharge for imports, but that has to take the cake. The highest sticker price I've seen on a Bear item was $39.99 CAD for Shakin' Up North: Canadian Rockabilly. The same store had the Roy Orbison box for $400. That was around 2012.

On a non-BF note, another artist you may be interested in checking out is Johnny Powers. His signature tune, "Long Blond(e) Hair," was almost certainly a primary influence on "Stray Cat Strut."

20. JeffHunt

It's weird, because I've been going to this store since I was a teenager (so, well over 20 years), and their prices have always been pretty good. These days, they're a bit more random. They had a new, sealed copy of the first Stray Cats album on CD, an import for $9.99, and other assorted import pressings around that price, so I really don't know where the $51 price tag for that Eddie CD came from!

21. Svein Arne

22. Rick Bartlett

[​IMG]
    This was wonderful!
    Thankyou for the link, even more so, it was available for me to watch in Australia.
    This could be a chapter that fell out of the Ken Burns Country Music documentary,
    it is of that level of quality and presentation.
    Lot's of great photo's/history, and some short performance clips.
    It's probably a bit 'talking heads' heavy, but, the one's talking are class acts:
    Vince Gill, Dolly, Dwight, Bill Anderson, Charley Pride, Marty Stuart and more.....

I learned a lot about an artist I never knew much about.
    This would make a great series on specific artists in this hour length time frame.
    Louvin Brothers, Faron Young, Porter Wagoner..... the possibilities are endless.

RSteven, JeffHunt and jimbo3688 like this.
  23. GodBlessTinyTim

Finally bought the Phoenix Panorama box. Amazon Germany had a copy that shipped to Canada for a very agreeable price. I notice Bear Family has taken a particular interest in Arizona's small labels over the years: Phoenix Panorama, Porter Records Story, M.C.I. Records Story, and two volumes of Arizona rockabilly.
    Good to see a less-remembered country star get this treatment, thanks for posting.

The Killer and Juggsnelson like this.
  24. Svein Arne

RSteven and Joshua Tree like this.
  25. So who here snagged a complete and apparently mint Welcome To My World Jim Reeves box earlier today? It went for over $400 on a very competitive eBay auction.

RSteven and baptistbusman like this.