Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Also ordered Bear Family's (2004) version of Tennessee Ernie Ford's two albums of Civil War songs to see how it stacks up against the Capitol CD version that was issued in 1991.

I you haven't heard either of those 1961 albums; you should. In my opinion Ford delivers some of his best vocal performances outside of his religious material. My top picks from both albums;

Sings Civil War Songs Of The North
    "Virginia's Bloody Soil"
    "The Vacant Chair"
    "The Faded Coat Of Blue"

Sings Civil War Songs Of The South
    "Lorena"
    "Maryland, My Maryland"
    "The Rebel Soldier"

melstapler likes this.
  2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

I got the CAPITOL release of this.Got an amazing sound.Great singing.

melstapler and Vintage1976 like this.
  3. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Which one?
    I only have "Chained to a memory" and love it.
    I didn't get "The price of Fame" because I have all the Sandoval 2 fers plus the rarities disc.
    I am sure i might be missing some cool songs perhaps.

melstapler likes this.
  4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. From what I can see on the product descriptions, this new title only includes the 10" and no CD as they did with the enjoyable Carl Perkins set more recently.

5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The 3CD box set is a decent yet short sampling of his work while the first Bear Family set is frustrating because it cuts off around 1960. We need for Bear Family to issue one or possibly two more comprehensive box sets in order for those later output periods to be properly represented.

6. rod

rod Senior Member

The Roulette twofers were on Westside (licensed from Rhino).
    He used to sell CDRs of his Dot and A&M recordings on his (no longer available) website.
    [​IMG]

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

[​IMG]

melstapler and Juggsnelson like this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Were these album rip's?
    What's the quality like?
    Did he own his own masters?
    Interesting and odd releases....
    Yeah, The Roulette and Dot collection would be a neat set.

melstapler likes this.
  9. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Oh, I have a 2 cd set called "Complete Cadence recordings" for this material. I know there are a few oddities missing but it covers the era very well.

melstapler likes this.
  10. rod

rod Senior Member

Quality is OK until something better comes along. Mostly vinyl rips (with some clicks and pops for the true vinyl experience;)). They also included the non-lp Dot and A&M singles, an Epic single from 1972, and a 1978 Album "Today". There was also a DVD with clips from his TV show.

I don't know if he owned his masters. I bought these CDs about 15 years ago.

Bear Family might be interested in the P.D. Roulette years but I doubt if there's a big enough market for them to pay to license the post-1962 Dot and A&M recordings from Universal.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's cool : )

12. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

That set actually has a handful of demos not on the BF box. This one gives me some Paul Simon vibes.

13. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I’m guessing an estate lawyer put an end to any hopes of a Haggard Epic set :(.

The Killer, melstapler and Mychael like this.
  14. GodBlessTinyTim

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

melstapler likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Estate attorneys work very hard to ensure that their clients fade away into the past.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They hold out for the big payday that will never come. Meanwhile, they charge big fees to the surviving family for all of their hard work to prevent the public from enjoying an artist's work.

melstapler and Cousin It like this.
  18. darling

darling Senior Member

That is so wrong I don't even know where to start.

19. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

And Richard Weize will issue three CDs with Chuck Wagon Gang recordings from 1959/1960 later this spring.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Quite often, estate lawyers have also shut down fan websites devoted to an artist. The fan websites tended to be full of information, artist history, and discussion, whereas the "official" websites tend to be exclusively marketing of such things as T-Shirts and coffee mugs, along with just a few examples of their work for sale.

The estate managers want the only websites to be their merchandise marketing sites. They use any legal device to shut down the websites, but most often all they have to do is send a threatening letter or post. As the fans are all volunteers and do not profit, they rarely fight it.

An enormous number of comprehensive fan sites have disappeared over the past 20 years, for all styles of music.

melstapler likes this.
  21. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I really hoped that Bear Family would follow up the great Blackwood Brothers Quartet box set with a similar set of The Statesmen Quartet. Most of their output should be available. I preferred them to The Blackwood Brothers. Jake Hess was an incredible singer, and Hovie Lister was wonderful on the piano.
    Maybe there is still hope.

Jason W and melstapler like this.
  22. GodBlessTinyTim

melstapler and Svein Arne like this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would enjoy a Bear Family box of Mahalia's complete Columbia recordings. Though the Apollo recordings may be better, they have already ben covered in their entirety. But add them to the box as well for perfection.

Here is the box cover

[​IMG]

24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  25. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident