Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Killer,
    Your a Star!
    Thanks for the heads up man.

The Killer likes this.
  2. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazingly it appears to be all previously unreleased recordings from the early 60's. Mostly covers, but still exciting. Info: RSD '21 Special Release: Johnny Paycheck - Uncovered: The First Recordings

The only other RSD release that caught my eye is the first-ever reissue of Link Wray's rarest album: RSD '21 Special Release: Link Wray - Sings And Plays Guitar

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Interesting, that looks like a single as it's 45rpm but the description says 1 LP, it's probably the former, first recordings would more likely be a single as LPs weren't a real thing in the 50s. Definitely one for the collection though.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  4. GodBlessTinyTim

Eight tracks are listed:

Family Bible / I Thought I Heard You Calling My Name / A Girl I Used To Know / Me and My Heart and My Shoes / Long Black Limousine / Kissing Your Picture (Is So Cold) / Miller’s Cave / Heartbreak Eve

I'm thinking it may be a 10" LP. Those sometimes run at 45. Given that these are claimed to be Paycheck's first recordings despite having been made after he debuted as Donny Young, I'm thinking these are demo tapes he made just around the time he adopted the Paycheck moniker.

The Killer likes this.
  5. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I obviously didn't look hard enough for detail! There are some tracks there I can't find amongst the stuff I've got which is exciting!

Edit: I obviously didn't look at all as a simple scroll down would've done it, duh!

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

I see on discogs, somebody from France has a copy of the Chuck Berry 'guitar' case version
    of 'Any Old Way You Chose It' set for 900 Euros for sale.
    It's nearly double the price, but it's the cheapest I've seen it advertised after the fact.
    Remember, there's only 88 of these produced, so it's probably not a bad deal if your a completest.
    Chuck Berry - Rock And Roll Music - Any Old Way You Choose It - The Complete Studio Recordings ... Plus!: Box, Dlx, Ltd, Num, Gui + 16xCD, Comp, RM For Sale | Discogs
    [​IMG]

RSteven and baptistbusman like this.
  7. darling

darling Senior Member

Speaking of that Chuck Berry box, Bear Family's presentation of the 1969 Toronto concert was a disappointment, with the tracks fading in and out after every song.

This CD seems to be the whole, unedited show (possibly for the first time anywhere):
    - Chuck Berry - Toronto Rock & Rock Revival 1969

RSteven likes this.
  8. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

9. soam

soam Forum Resident

I just picked up Lou Rawls Sings Les McCann Plays Stormy Monday. I was surprised it was not mentioned on this thread yet. It's a very nice pressing and has great sound. It's not AAA but sounds great and is a really solid album.

Mychael and DR.J like this.
  10. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

Love that track! New to me.

baptistbusman likes this.
  11. darling

darling Senior Member

I'm not sure what that link is supposed to show, but there were lots of things on the Hip-O sets and various other places that didn't make it to the Bear Family box - and the discography lists even more unreleased takes. I was hoping that an 'outtakes' set would appear at some point.

And there have been so many Chuck Berry concerts released that I think Bear Family just stuck to the main ones in the vaults.

HappyFingers likes this.
  12. Svein Arne

If you look at the right side there are links to lot of different information about the big Bear Family.just click on something ont he right side,it does not bite.

13. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

I picked up the 1966 volume of the Dim Lights, Thick Smoke and Hillbilly Music series by Bear Family , specifically just for the Mel Tillis track "Stateside." Which brings to mind why hasn't anyone compiled his '60's output? Tracks like "Okeechobee Ocean" are just plain great and haven't seen the light of day on CD.

Another thread regarding Tillis' early work, any replies are welcome;

Early Mel Tillis On CD (Pre Mid 70s)

Mychael likes this.
  14. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Even his 1980’s albums are really good. After All This Time and California Road hold up with any New Traditionalist release from that era.

Vintage1976 likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This 8CD set is an excellent item, even if you have the early Bear Family box.

It is arranged by the seven Sun vinyl LPs (12 songs per CD) plus an 8th CD of 23 non-album tracks. The book is hardcover, nearly LP sized, and has 8 CDs well mounted inside the two covers.

It is all recently remastered (2017) and is an official issue.

Right now, it is widely available for as low as $22. Amazon has several separate listings, for different prices. Search for Johnny Cash 1957-1964 in Amazon for the low price.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Alb...s=Johnny+Cash+1957-1964&qid=1618434308&sr=8-1

This is a real bargain. Great companion to any Bear Family collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

17. Svein Arne

The Killer and RSteven like this.
  18. GodBlessTinyTim

Normally I don't tend to go for straight album reissues, but this is a nice enough package that I'm going for it. Thanks for mentioning.

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I hope it is available in Canada at a good price.

Anyone interested should know that seven of the CDs are just the 12 tracks on the LP. The 8th CD is longer. The book is nicely done.

I have not A/B'd it with the Bear Family set. They say it is from master tapes, though as produced by Sam Phillips

20. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Do you know if ‘Country Boy’ on ‘With His Hot and Blue Guitar’ is the demo version with just Johnny and his guitar or the band version, which is how it appeared on the original LP. For some reason, reissues of this LP use the demo version.

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is the band version with echo on his voice and electric guitar solo. Off the top of my head, I don't recall the demo sound.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  22. Rick Bartlett

Do you know which versions use the demo version?
    That sounds too bizarre...

23. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

The acoustic demo version of »Country Boy« is (along with an alternate take of the electric band version) on Bear Family's »Cash Outtakes« box.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A must have for Johnnyphiles.

25. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

The releases I have with the demo version are
    https://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Cash-With-His-Hot-And-Blue-Guitar/release/15695609
    https://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Cash-With-His-Hot-And-Blue-Guitar/release/6096468
    https://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Cash-The-Outtakes/release/4609029

@mikeja75
    is the resident except on Cash Sun releases and all the various takes. His incredible website, meaneyedcat.net has sadly been taken down, but you can still view it at Johnny Cash: The Sun Sessionography

Rick Bartlett likes this.