Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. oddmentandtweak

oddmentandtweak Well-Known Member

Thanks for this! It really shows how neat that book looks

2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Here we are in 2021 and many of us are looking forward to more artist-focused Bear Family box sets. I would enjoy a comprehensive box set compiling the works of rockabilly legend Ray Campi, who we just lost in March of this year. Either a multi-disc set or perhaps a 1CD or 2CD collection focusing specifically on his energetic rockabilly output would be the best possible way to pay tribute to the man and his productive music career.

3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Absolutely. I've always found it a little odd that BF has released a couple of Campi's latter-day studio albums but never compiled the early recordings on which his legacy was built. Eagle Records has two CDs of his pre-comeback work, but they can be hit-and-miss in terms of sources and factual accuracy.

https://www.discogs.com/Ray-Campi-Ray-Campi-1954-1968-Vol-1/release/10186602

https://www.discogs.com/Ray-Campi-Ray-Campi-1954-1968-Vol-2/release/10186677

I personally have this Swedish CD of his 50's stuff: https://www.discogs.com/Ray-Campi-The-Snappers-The-Road-To-Rockabilly-1951-1958/master/1751125

melstapler likes this.
  4. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Richard Weize compiled Campi's earliest recordings on RWA:

5. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Is the third Don Gibson boxset not available through BF? I didn't see it listed.

melstapler likes this.
  6. rod

rod Senior Member

7. melstapler

I believe all of these compilations were sanctioned by Ray himself, alth
    Wow! Had no idea the third Don Gibson set was OOP and commanding large sums from scalper third party sellers. Hopefully Bear Family will issue a final fourth Don Gibson box set focusing on the entirety of his criminally overlooked output for Hickory.

8. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

The Omnivore release, while not complete, has some killer stuff on it. And, yes, sucks about the third Don Gibson box. That one seems to be hard to find.

DEAN OF ROCK and melstapler like this.
  9. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Probably a question for Mychael to answer. I was looking at some older discussion on the Waylon Jennings Bear Family boxes. I think the first one covered from his early days through 1968(or thereabouts). The second one picked up there, and went to 1972/1973. Was there any plans to continue this, or was Sony hesitant to cooperate with this period of his career?

Speaking of classic country, I really wish Richard would have taken on a nice Gary Stewart box set. His output was very manageable, and would have made a nice 6-8 cd set. I have most of his stuff on cd and/or lp, and really appreciate Raven Records releasing some of his albums on cd. However, the two-fer with YOUR PLACE OR MINE/LITTLE JUNIOR is atrocious. The masters still sound good(as evidenced on THE ESSENTIAL cd), but the same tracks on the Raven cd are extremely poor. Having said that, I do miss Raven Records.

RSteven likes this.
  10. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Lots of Gary CDs here:Gary Stewart cd | eBay
    Do you got this on cd? It is amazing released on cd with 2 albums with these 2.
    Gary Stewart & Dean Dillon Those Were The Days - YouTube

11. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

upcoming new box sets.....:help:

RSteven likes this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I had decided to not complete my Connie Smith collection on vinyl because of the promised box.

I wonder if I made a mistake.

Is there still a plan for a new Connie Smith box?

AlmanacZinger, melstapler and RSteven like this.
  13. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I’m wondering if the Covid situation in Germany might be hampering production facilities. It’s hard to find a good website to show exactly what’s going on over there, the best I can understand is they are going through a 3rd wave.

melstapler likes this.
  14. melstapler

The pandemic may have temporarily silenced live music it's been suggested that it also slowed the release of new titles. Now would be the time for Bear Family to release a comprehensive box set focusing on the career output of songwriter and country legend Carl Belew. In addition to his studio albums, it would be even more amazing if some of Carl Belew's later recordings (publishing demos, studio tracks etc.) could be unearthed and given a proper release.
    [​IMG]
    Carl Belew staring at you

Not only was Belew a talented songwriter, but he was a competent vocalist and performer whose work was often overshadowed by the bigger-named artists who recorded his songs. The prime of Belew's career were the sophisticated country albums he recorded for Decca. Between his hit songs and solid studio albums, Belew deserves credit as one of the originators of what music historians label the "Nashville Sound."
    [​IMG]
    In 1990, Belew died prematurely from cancer at age 59.

Sadly, Belew's back catalog has been severely neglected and overlooked. Aside from one official 'best of' compilation containing some of his original Decca hits, a Gusto budget CD containing re-records and a pirate CD-R from the questionable B.A.C.M. label containing needle-drops of his pre-Nashville 1950s material, very little has been done to preserve Belew's significant legacy.

'Three Cheers For The Loser'
    [​IMG]

15. GodBlessTinyTim

For sure. I was recently reminded of Belew from BF's Destination Lonely Street compilation, which opens and closes with different versions of the titular song. Some accounts actually claim that Wynn Stewart wrote "Lonely Street" and sold it to Carl for $50, but we'll probably never know the real story. Regardless, the only legitimate CD of his classic work seems to be this sampling of his mid-60's RCA stuff: https://www.discogs.com/Carl-Belew-Hits-Plus-Ones-Ive-Written/release/10248017

A set covering 1956 to '68 would cover all his Top 40 material. As an aside, I always used to confuse him and Carl Butler.

16. Svein Arne

This was a hit on RCA:Carl Belew ~ Hello Out There - YouTube

melstapler likes this.
  17. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Your post is from 4 years ago, but I just became aware of this Platter disk the other day and immediately ordered it. I first heard I Wanna as a young teenager, and only years later became aware how different it was from what the Platters were normally known for. So I'm anxious to see if much else on this Bear cd will rock like that song did. :)

18. GodBlessTinyTim

Found the first Hank Locklin box for 30 Euros yesterday, couldn't pass that up. It covers his early years on 4 Star and Decca, during which period he only had a couple hits. Surprisingly, his original recording of "Send Me the Pillow" wasn't among them: It didn't chart until it was redone with the Nashville treatment nearly a decade later.

Tribute likes this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

20. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

@Tribute @melstapler
    I acquired this set based upon your posts and some quick youtube sampling.
    I have just opened the set tonight and listening to the "Bad Love" cd.
    Am having a great time!
    I really enjoy his style of music.
    Simple thank you for your posts in this thread and general enthusiasm.
    Cc

Tribute likes this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have that early set but wasn't aware of the missing track. I wonder why it wasn't there, as BF was usually definitive.

22. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

The track is there, he was just saying the version on presented wasn’t a hit.

Tribute likes this.
  23. GodBlessTinyTim

I may have have worded that wrong. The original is included, it just wasn't a hit.

Edit: What he said.

baptistbusman likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

From your avatar, have you changed your hairstyle during Covid?

I haven't had a haircut in 18 months myself, and am starting to thing of using some goop to get a style more like yours.

25. Svein Arne