Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 I'm a very magic tripper

2. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great find! Patton is best known for a handful of rockabilly tunes he put out in the 50's, some of which were released under his real name, Oscar Patton. Take 30 Minutes was supposedly released in 1961 or '62. I have a compilation CD that covers his career from '55 to '76, but it only features two songs from that LP. He's found his way onto a number of BF releases including Bakersfield, Big D Jamboree, and That'll Flat Git It Vol. 27. Discogs actually lists which compilations an artist has been featured on under the "Appearances" tab: Jimmy Patton

Tragically, Jimmy Patton died following a car accident in 1989.

3. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

4. GodBlessTinyTim

Svein Arne, rod and PhantomStranger like this.
  5. Svein Arne

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

are there any USA dealers of the Virginia Box? I did not see any.

baptistbusman likes this.
  7. rgray_69

rgray_69 Forum Resident

8. Svein Arne

Vintage1976 likes this.
  9. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Having a ball with the first three in this series.

[​IMG]

I love hearing how commercial honky tonk and ballad country begins to carve itself out of the swing era (my favorite in jazz/pop), while highlighting the joy and skill of western swing itself, and how stars like Roy, Eddy, Ernest, Bob, and Rose Maddox and her Brothers paved the way for more raw sounds like Hank Sr., as well as how older artists like the Sons Of The Pioneers, the Delmores and Monroes (now ex-) were still going strong in their own way.

Favorite tracks on this volume include "So Round, So Firm, So Fully Packed", the original cut of "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain", the wild take on "Milk Cow Blues" and the hot guitar and harmonica prefiguring rock n' roll on "Freight Train Boogie".

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I had a ball with all 26 volumes of this series. I wish there were more.

DR.J, Reader and batdude98 like this.
  11. Svein Arne

It ends at the year 1975.This series was my idea in the letter i sent to Richard Weize in late 80s.I hope that we can get more releases i suggested in the letter on CD.
    I hate streaming music,we want the Webb Pierce CD box.:help::tiphat:

Tribute, DR.J and batdude98 like this.
  12. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I'm savoring my way through them a few at a time.

13. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I know Time Life has done a few series that extend past 1970 and 1972, but they seem more scattershot and thematic with none of the precision and care of their Country USA and Bear's Dim Lights...

14. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I thought it ended in 1970.

Svein Arne and batdude98 like this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, unless I've missed something, the Dim Lights series ends with 1970. Which makes me sad, because 1971-75 were probably the years I listened to more country radio than any others, and I'd have loved to see the series cover them.

jimbo3688 likes this.
  16. bem

bem Forum Resident

This is a great series. To me it was interesting to hear Hank Williams senior with his contemporaries and realize why he is so revered. If I heard a song that I liked or an artist who stood out, I'd explore that artist more. Lefty Frizzell, Tennessee Ernie Ford, and especially Merle Haggard. I also got the Blowing the Fuse and Sweet Soul Music and they are good sets as well

Svein Arne, jimbo3688 and Tribute like this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Senior?

I guess you mean the father of Randy Williams and grandfather of Shelton Williams, known as Hank Williams.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, if you want to get technical Ol’ Hank is really Hiram Williams. There’s no great country singer who has “Hank Williams” on his birth certificate.

batdude98 likes this.
  19. GodBlessTinyTim

melstapler and MerseyBeatle like this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Of course, most Hank fans know that.

But 'Hiram' was pronounced "Harm" by all the local people, and he started using the name Hank long before he could even grow any facial hair. It wasn't taking another's name for commercial purposes.

21. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Maybe they were thinking of the "Sweet Soul Music" series, which ends in 1975

czeskleba likes this.
  22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, in all three cases it's a nickname (regardless of the whys) was my point. In the case of Randall and Shelton it's also each of their own middle name, and I've known people who choose to go by their middle name.

Sure, there was a commercial component to Jr. and III's decision to use the name. But if they didn't have some talent the name wouldn't have gotten them anywhere. Although I have to say the appeal of Hank Jr. has always eluded me... he strikes me as the forefather of today's idiotic bro-country. I love Hank III though... he made some really great records before he disappeared from the public eye.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    batdude98 likes this.
  23. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Something I appreciate about the Dim Lights series is the inclusion of original versions of big hits and standards ("Have I Told You Lately", "Lost Highway", "Wedding Bells", "Half As Much", "Just Out Of Reach", "Mockin' Bird Hill").

As rightly famous as the hit versions are, the original artists bring a great spark and vitality to the material (this is especially evident to me on Leon Payne's versions of his songs).

24. Svein Arne

Now i found that out.:hide:o_O
    We can ask Bear Family to continue up to 76?

DEAN OF ROCK and czeskleba like this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

That's a shame, because he has made some many great recordings that you're probably overlooking.
    Pick the eyes out of his late 60's and 70's catalogue, and there are heaps of great tunes in there that is a world
    far from 'bro-country' and far from being a 'Hank Williams' copycat.
    For a great early 'Cowboy' record, I think this one from 1965 is terribly underrated.
    'Ballads Of The Hill And Plains'
    [​IMG]