Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Another great one:Hank Williams Jr. - Cajun Baby - YouTube

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  2. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

thanks for the heads up. I’m in for the Tony Sheridan comp.
    [​IMG]

melstapler, Reader and Svein Arne like this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Fair enough. My knowledge of his work is pretty much limited to his string of hit singles in the 80s, which do little more than celebrate partying and assert the superiority of south over north and country over city. I don't think it's unfair of me to say that his best-known song (All My Rowdy Friends Are Comin' Over Tonight) is the exact template for bro-country, both musically and lyrically. I really hate that song and its long-term effects on the genre. But you're right that it's not necessarily fair of me to evaluate him based on such a small sample.

I gave a listen to a couple songs from the album you mentioned above. It's not bad, but I didn't come away thinking "this is a really great piece of work." It sounds like a well-produced album with some great players. But frankly his voice is competent but unexceptional to me, and he didn't write any of the songs here.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  4. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I'm not sure that I'd say that's his best known song. Chartwise, it only hit #10 on the country charts. The exposure from Monday Night Football solidifies your assertion, at least for the general masses. For country fans, he had some pretty strong cuts in the 80's. All My Rowdy Friends(Have Settled Down) is good, traditional country, and you can go back to 1979 for Family Tradition and Whiskey Bent. Neither of those come close to Bro-Country.
    I enjoy hearing him let loose on non-country tracks such as I'm Not Responsible and Born To Boogie. Along those lines, his version of Mind Your Own Business with Reba McIntyre, Tom Petty, and Willie Nelson isn't bad. My favorite Hank Jr track is his excellent cover of Ain't Misbehaving. In addition, he and Leon Redbone do an excellent job with Hank Sr's Lovesick Blues.

Like most, he has some garbage in his catalog, but that's to be expected when your catalog covers 50 years. He very well fall outside of your preference for country, but don't let a narrow sampling of that brief period deter your further exploration.

5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I tend to agree with you when it comes to the 80's, and that's when I start to tune out on some of Hank Jr's material for the reasons you gave.
    It became too 'commercialized' and even Hank himself, I think a lot of it went to his head.
    He still had some great album songs, but admittedly, they became a lot fewer, and unfortunately in my opinion, were bogged down
    in too much of the 80's Country reverb sound.
    Yeah, the album I suggested, did not present anything in the way of his songwrting, but there are plenty of neat tunes, and not 'bro-country',
    in his 70's albums.
    I guess I'm saying keep an open mind, and pay no mind to those 80's hit singles, his better work is there for the digging.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Several overlooked Bear Family releases

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

baptistbusman likes this.
  7. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

Neil Sedaka Box Set Oh Carol - The Complete Recordings 1956 - 1966

[​IMG]

According to my present knowledge no longer available. Pity!

8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I like a good handful of Neil's songs, but I'm not a big fan, but you gotta give it to him.
    The guy is 'Still!' going and singing and playing music.
    What an amazing career he has had.

Fred1 likes this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In this world, "liking" goes a long way toward good feelings.

That is big.

Fred1 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  10. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Can anyone help me out -- are these all the Marty Robbins sets that Bear Family has released on CD, and do they replicate all of the songs included on the LP releases?

Rockin’ Rollin’ Robbins
    Story Of My Life: Rockin’ Rollin’ Robbins Vol. 2 (The Ray Conniff Recordings)
    Ruby Ann: Rockin’ Rollin’ Robbins Vol. 3
    Marty Robbins Rocks!

Country 1951-1958
    Country 1960-1966
    Under Western Skies

Hawaii’s Calling Me

Island Woman - A Musical Journey To The Caribbean Islands And Mexico

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  11. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Doing a little research, seems like these sets plus Frankie Starr: Elevator Boogie round up Marty's complete recordings from 1948 to early 1967 (except the 1965 Turn The Lights Down Low LP and the "One Of These Days" single) plus the Western songs from the 1973-1979 MCA years.

Praguefrank's Country Discography 2: Marty Robbins, part 1

Marty Robbins - Turn The Lights Down Low

12. Svein Arne

This 2 disc CD set includes almost everything Marty recorded for MCA.it is made from vinyl,maybe because the masters burned up in the fire in Hollywood?
    Marty Robbins CD: 20th Century Drifter - The MCA Years (2-CD) - Bear Family Records (bear-family.com)
    It is not a Bear Family release.:tiphat:

batdude98 likes this.
  13. Fred1

John Wayne - John Wayne's West In Music And Poster

[​IMG]

RSteven, Slimpickens and batdude98 like this.
  14. Svein Arne

JOHN WAYNE In Music & Poster Art 10-CDs/1-DVD Box & Book - YouTube
    I got this box.The music from the movie How the west was won is the same used in the movie before the actors talking was added.It is not the same as the one released on a 2 cd set.How The West Was Won (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) 2-CD 1997 Reissue | eBay
    The only movie that the music is missing from is this:The Cowboys (1972) - IMDb
    It is a great CD box set.It got stereo soundtracks in stereo from the early 50s in stereo.Songs by famous artists not released elsewhere.:tiphat:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Fred1 likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I forget....I believe "After Midnight" has never been included in a Bear Family release

[​IMG]

RSteven, melstapler and batdude98 like this.
  16. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

That would make sense, as judging by the cover (the song titles) -- even though you aren't supposed to do that, it's a standards album, as Lights is a jazz record. Therefore, it would be outside the scope of their sets' themes.

I don't know why One Of These Days wouldn't be on a Rocks release as it's a great pop song with very good fuzz bass!

Fred1 and melstapler like this.
  17. Hmmmm, I didn't know this existed. How does it sound? Anyone own it here?

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I prefer comprehensive collections. That Marty album was not far from his other albums, which were really all about his voice.

batdude98 likes this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It sounds very much like all his records, which I assume can be sampled on youtube.

It is fun music.

Fred1 likes this.
  20. Musical Infidelity

Musical Infidelity Forum Resident

I have got to find the out of print United Artists and Musicor sets for George Jones.
    I wish I had purchased when they first came out. I was thinking that as popular as Jones is, they would be easily obtainable for some time as so many of their sets for lesser known artists seem to stay in print or are easily obtainable for quite some time.

steveinphilly and batdude98 like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It must be a limited license, because a repressing would sell very well.

batdude98 likes this.
  22. Musical Infidelity

Musical Infidelity Forum Resident

You're so right, they were still fairly widely available until season 2 of Cocaine & Rhinestones came out. Looking back, I should have jumped and made the purchases when Tyler posted on Facebook to grab copies of George Jones album while you can because they're going to become scarce.

batdude98 likes this.
  23. Fred1

Eddie Cochran - The Ultimate Collection: Somethin' Else

[​IMG]

RSteven, Svein Arne and jimbo3688 like this.
  24. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

A Good Year For the Roses has been deleted for a few years now. Walk Through this World With Me is still available. The UA, She Thinks I Still Care has been out of stock for around a year now. Had nothing to do with the the Coe guy posting anything.

25. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

A used copy of George Jones A Good year For The Roses boxset popped up on my want list a couple days ago on Discogs.

I mulled over the price for a day or so, it already sold at $300.