Your Favourite Can album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Nothing about the writing process - I wouldn''t have known how to ask intelligent questions like that. It was more like, 'wow, you used to record in a castle, what was that like?' and 'When did you last see Damo Suzuki?'

We met at Phonogram Records in Hammersmith, where a mate of mine worked. Karoli was in London with Holger for some business meetings, he said. I do remember him talking fondly, almost proudly, of Jaki Liebezeit. This was 1989 or so, quite a few years before Jaki acquired the respect and reputation that he later got. Karoli seemed amused that I knew their individual names, put it that way. He made Jaki sound like a really serious, heavy, almost fanatical musician.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  2. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

In a Can phase right now. All of those early records are incredible.

How essential is Unlimited Edition? That, Rite Time and The Lost Tapes are the only ones I think I don't have.

When I saw Weyes Blood live this year they covered "Vitamin C" from Ege Bamyasi:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    bzfgt likes this.
  3. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Ege Bamyasi is my fave and that one track on Movie Soundtracks...it's about 14 minutes long... very cool tune.

bzfgt and Scope J like this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Mother Sky!

Indeed, fantastic!

KeninDC, mooseman and bzfgt like this.
  5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Lost Tapes and Unlimited Edition are indispensable. Rite Time is for hardcore heads only.

6. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Playing this now. Wonderful music but the vocals aren't as strong without Damo.

izgoblin and bzfgt like this.
  7. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

This album is well worth seeking out, with Jaki Leibezeit on drums...

[​IMG]

(not to be confused with the current Phantom Band from Scotland, I mean, how dare they...)

:)

izgoblin likes this.
  8. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

9. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Absolutely indispensable I say!! In fact, it's usually where I recommend people start since it has prime material from the Malcolm, Damo and post-Damo but pre-"TraffiCan" eras. There's not a chance you're not going to like it, really. Get it NOW.

As for Rite Time, eh, it's a curiosity.

10. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Appreciate the recommendation of Unlimited Edition, which I will order. Also, thanks for the tips re: solo Schmidt. Will seek those out.

bzfgt likes this.
  11. Tsomi

Tsomi Forum Resident

Regarding Rite Time, I think the Until the End of the World soundtrack has the best outtake: Last Night Sleep. A really interesting soundtrack, anyway.

Unlimited Edition and The Lost Tapes have some extra Damo and Malcolm, and some really nice gems, so check them out, really. Cannibalism 2 has some extra songs, too.

There's also an alternate version of Thief that's only available on the Electric Rock LP sampler, AFAIK. The mix is a bit different, and there's an extra verse (that I don't manage to transcribe, if anyone's interested...).

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  12. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Great thread. I have been going through a Miles Davis 2nd quintet phase but now I'm moving on to Can. Picked up TM today, FD will be next. Gracias.

13. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Holger Czukay's solo output is essential too....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

....and his later ones too! :)

Max Florian, izgoblin and Tsomi like this.
  14. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

^ Oops, the middle image above is actually a single from Holger's album "On the Way to the Peak of Normal" using the same cover art. Sorry.

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

And if we're talking about Can offshoots, I have to give a shout out for this one:

kendo and Tsomi like this.
  16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Now playing. This is an extraordinary piece of improv from a great show, revealing the band at the peak of their powers. They were an (un)canny collective dynamo when they locked into that groove.

jay.dee and bzfgt like this.
  17. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Definitely Future Days, although Tago Mago isn’t too far behind. I do enjoy Soon Over Babaluma quite a bit as well.

Scope J likes this.
  18. Leschiens

Leschiens New Member

Tago mago

Scope J likes this.
  19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Autumn bump

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

If they combined Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi into a triple, then choosing one album would be much easier.

Tsomi likes this.
  21. bzfgt

Soundtracks is way better than the votes indicate

kendo, marmalade166, KeninDC and 2 others like this.
  22. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

Pleasantly surprised to see Future Days right up there. It has always been my favourite Can record, but often seems to be lost behind Tago Mago's freestyle avant-garde and the bonkers art rock of Ege Bamyasi. "Bel-Air" and "Moonshake" are probably my top two Can cuts.

kendo, bzfgt and Dahabenzapple like this.
  23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It is but it's going to lag in 'favourites' I think. I love Soul Desert, She Brings The Rain, Don't Turn on the Light and Mother Sky, but the rest feels a bit inessential. If it was a mark each album out of ten poll it would be much higher.

bzfgt and Tsomi like this.
  24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think the word is 'homage', as in 'Can homage'. They never hid it. :)

Brilliant track. And love the coughing. One the best British bands from that era.

bzfgt and Tristero like this.
  25. bzfgt

Yeah, I accept the emendment. Great band, agreed.

mr.datsun likes this.