YOUR Favourite FILM of 2019?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Sep 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Hands down Once Upon A Time In ...Hollywood.

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

The amount of period detail makes the film beg repeat viewings. Though don’t think it’s QT’s best film, the honor would go to imo to
    pulp Fiction.

Juan Matus likes this.
  3. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Watched loads of Movies on NetFlix but doubt if any was 2019 ..have managed to catch 1 Movie at Cinema..

[​IMG]

Also think we will be going Cinema for this 1..

[​IMG]

Gotta be done..

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

TS 4 was a delight.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  5. alexpop

I think for consistency, frame by frame in continuity Once Upon A Time in .... Hollywood just could be the best film this year. Just bought Avengers Endgame ( dvd /price was right). I’ll watch it for the third time and weigh it up against QT film. Loads of other films out this year like Hobbs & Shaw ..great popcorn, but classic?

Don’t even think generic James Bond : No Time To Die ( release date 2019, postponed )could top QT ..OUATIH.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Ghostworld likes this.
  6. alexpop

Disappointments 2019 ( imo).

X-Men dark Phoenix
    Captain Marvel
    Spider Man Far From home

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Ghostworld likes this.
  7. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Highspots for me this year have been 'Yesterday', 'Rocketman' and 'Blinded By The Light'. All music-related and all feelgood films.

alexpop likes this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Avengers End Game
    I thoroughly enjoyed the last Tarantino (even though I thought he blew it at the end).
    Looking forward to Ad Astra (even though it stars Brad Pitt, whom don't really rate as an actor).

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Seen the trailer for Ad Astra a few times. Hopefully the film has some action in it.
    Wasn’t keen on Solaris remake.:)

10. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Once Upon A Time, The Farewell, and Toy Story 4 were the only ones I have seen, all good, but I am going with Toy Story 4.

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

TS4?
    Was a little slow out the stable for me. Least first 2o mins. But had a classy finish.

12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I think the year is shaping up very well.
    I’ve seen three terrific movies at the cinema just in the past week - the Tarantino, Almodovar’s Pain and Glory (Banderas is superb) and Words of Love: Marianne and Leonard (the Cohen bio).
    But best of the year so far - the German language Never Look Away, by the same Director that made The Lives of Others. This year’s “Roma”. Also the German-language Ballon (Balloon).

alexpop likes this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

once upon a time in.......hollywood.......................but..............................i haven't seen 'the irishman' yet.

Ghostworld likes this.
  14. alexpop

Agree on Banderas.

15. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to the new Terminator film & the Brad Pitt new SF film. But of the movies I have seen, I would not pick a movie, it would be a series showing on Amazon Prime called Too Old To Die Young, which is sort of a mixture of David Lynch and Tarantino, a crime series.

alexpop likes this.
  16. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

So far Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is my favorite. I saw it twice in the theater, which is a rare thing for me to do.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. alexpop

Ditto.

18. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I loved The Goldfinch. I don't care if all the critics hated it. I'm reading the book now.

19. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

So far it’s The Irishman, followed by Ford v Ferrari. And in a couple of hours I’ll be seeing Knives Out. (I liked Once Upon a Time...—just not as crazy about it as some of you.)

20. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Three films for me are worth mentioning in this thread as of now:

1. "Apollo 11," which I saw in true IMAX in July. This is the perfect documentary, perfect length, and notable for being so different in format from most short history pictures available on television and the like: There are no talking-head sequences, thank heavens.
    2. Among films I saw at the Philadelphia Film Festival, my favorite was "Les Miserables," by Ladj Ly; a riveting police drama told with extraordinary integrity. I felt let down by the last shot, but others I was with did not, and so as not to spoil it I won't say any more. Regardless, it is awesome cinema. See it! Looks like it's started to get some screenings in theaters; there's a showing in NYC today.
    3. Also from PFF29, "The Vast of Night," a low-fi throwback sci-fi film, which I know all of you will love, and which I started a thread about, in hopeful anticipation of its wider release: "Vast of Night" (dir. Andrew Patterson, 2019) Watch for it!

:cheers:

21. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Hmm. I saw a **** ton of movies this year but the only actual 2019 movies were Endgame. The Irishman and Spiderman. Loved Endgame and thought Spiderman was a little weak. Irishman is a mixed bag for me too. A few movies released this year look intriguing though. I look forward to hunting some of them down on dvd.

22. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I looked up Almodovar’s Pain and Glory to see when it would reach South Florida theaters, and it turns out it’s already here, at a couple of artsy film houses. Thanks for not alerting me, Rotten Tomatoes.

Anyway, it’s also accessible for free online, and I just saw it—and loved it. Not much time to dwell on it now, though, as I’m off to see Knives Out.

SBurke likes this.
  23. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I saw a decent amount of movies this year. I made a point to go out to the movies more than I ever have. I also went to movies I wouldn’t normally go see.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood takes the cake. It was as a whole, the best picture.

I really enjoyed Photograph.

And was pleasantly surprised by The Long Shot. What would normally be a shallow movie, was able to actually have quite a few heartfelt messages in it. A very mature yet fun outing.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

JoJo Rabbit.

It hit at an emotional level deeper than any film I've seen in more than a decade.

Apollo 11.

I saw it add an AMC pseudo-IMAX, and really wish I had seen it in the real one at Navy Pier. It's coming back into theaters December 6th, and everyone really should see it.

SBurke likes this.
  25. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Two pictures I really want to see. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.