Your favourite Justin Hayward Moody Blues Guitar Moments...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by willy, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

“Story in Your Eyes” probably has his best moments. It’s my favorite anyway.

jamesmaya and willy like this.
  2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

"Higher & Higher"-- no big solo but what killer riffage.

3. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

and another latter era track from a often derided album 'Sur La Mer' in 1988 that nevertheless has a terrific Hayward guitar on it notably towards the conclusion...

Shak Cohen and willy like this.
  4. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Fly Me High.

willy and Spadeygrove like this.
  5. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

I'll second all the mentions in this thread, but especially You And Me. Great guitar in that song.

You And Me is credited to Edge/Hayward. No doubt Hayward composed the guitar parts, but I'd be curious to know who wrote what in the song otherwise.

Spadeygrove and willy like this.
  6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Edge - lyrics

GodShifter and willy like this.
  7. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Lead Guitar is Hayward

somebodywhocares and willy like this.
  8. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga Thread Starter

Oh I thought it would be Eric. We live and learn... :wave:

3Dman likes this.
  9. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga Thread Starter

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

All of 10cc plays/sings on the track, though Eric is on keys (Lol on rhythm guitar). Interestingly John Lodge is absent.

willy likes this.
  11. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Sitting At The Wheel has a great slide solo, which frustratingly fades out early...

willy likes this.
  12. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Slide solo not Justin

13. Houston_Music_Fan

Houston_Music_Fan Forum Resident

Blue Guitar. I thought it was interesting how he brought back that "fuzzy" guitar sound from Blue Jays on Lazy Afternoon from his 2013 solo album. I also quite liked his playing on some of the latter day Moodies albums, including Lean on Me (Tonight) and Hope & Pray from Keys, and The Swallow and Nothing Changes from Strange Times.

willy likes this.
  14. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I my favorite is the solo in "The Story in Your Eyes," because it's the most hard rock, but everything he does on guitar is great. That fuzz lead sound was achieved with a Marshall Reverb-Fuzz 2021, plugged directly into the mixing board. For some reason he didn't use it live, that I've ever heard. I wish he would have, because to me that is a huge part of the Moodies sound.

15. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Thanks for that interesting factoid. I've always thought that Justin's fuzz sound in those days was lovely and unique, but I never knew how he did it. I never heard of that Marshall fuzz device before, but I found couple of audio demos on the 'net and sure enough, that seems to be The Sound!

steve phillips likes this.
  16. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Loved that solo! Unfortunately the "remastered" cd version buries it.

17. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Off topic, but it would’ve been cool if Justin and Eric had done a little more work together, considering how they are good friends.

But you all have mentioned great stuff. First one in my mind is Story, love his playing throughout the song. So cool to hear him playing that aggressive. Then When You’re A Free Man. His subtle touches just adds so much color to that song.

18. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Free Man. One of his best solos. Heck, one of rocks best solos

3Dman and steve phillips like this.
  19. steve phillips

Also, in the studio he used a Vox AC30 amp, plugged into the normal channel. I love his early guitar sound so much. First the Fender Telecaster, and then the Gibson. Live, he would use Marshall, and then Hiwatt stacks. I agree, that lead tone he had is an amazing sound. "Land of Make Believe" is some of the most beautiful and majestic guitar sound ever laid down. I would love to find one of those Marshall units, but they are very rare. The next closest thing is the old Marshall Supa-fuzz pedal.

20. steve phillips

That twangy Tele sound on Peak Hour is great also.

rd1 likes this.
  21. steve phillips

I just listened to the "Story in Your Eyes" for the millionth time, and it never gets old. I think my favorite single note he ever played on guitar, is in the second solo near the end. The note where he shakes the string with a little vibrato. You know the one I'm talking about. That is one of the most psychedelic fuzz guitar notes ever recorded. Amazing tone and playing.

somebodywhocares and jamesmaya like this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I love all his guitar sounds from the '60s/'70s ...

Having said that, "It's Up To You" stands out a bit to me. Just a wonderful, rich midrange sustain there, that really cuts through on the high-E string pedal motif that links the vocal sections. When he switches to rhythm on the lower strings using the same sound, that works perfectly too. Justin himself has said that track is his favourite of his guitar tones.

I used Vox AC30's for years, one day a friend came over with his new acquisition -- a '63 Gibson ES335. We plugged it into the normal channel of my 30, turned up the wick, and there it was ... "It's Up To You" ...

23. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Nice thread idea but I’ll save myself some time and say all of Justin’s guitar work and solos

I really can’t pick just a couple of solos .

willy and bhazen like this.
  24. steve phillips

"It's Up to You" is magic. I've never owned an AC30, but have always wanted one. A friend had one once, an early top boost. My '62 strat sounded very sweet through it.

25. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Without Justin Hayward’s songs (and guitar monents), A Question of Balance would be a very weak album...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.