Your favourite little known musician? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Storey, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Storey

John Storey Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Who is your top favourite musician that you think few people know about, or simply not enough based on their talent and performance? Mine would be Sixto "Sugarman" Rodriguez, who I think is just fantastic, I fell in love with his music after I saw the "Searching for Sugarman" documentary a few years ago, and got to see him live in Toronto a month ago, which was fantastic, he truly played his age away!

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

3. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Although well known within his genre but probably not outside of ,Irish fiddler Kevin Burke. Also, Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill as a duo in the same style.

4. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Sonny Condell. Playing on the Irish scene for the past 40+. See also Scullion and Tir na nOg

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

6. Chris DeVoe

This thread is useless without YouTube links.

7. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I don't know if he's "little known" but he's definitely a cult figure:

Billy Childish

8. Tons of them, but this was the first one I could think of: Marybeth d'Amico

9. ragged company

ragged company Forum Resident

10. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

William D. Drake

Somebody may remember him from the mighty Cardiacs, but - apart from those who are fans of the said group - others have probably never heard of him.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    dartira and xilef regnu like this.
  11. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

LAUDIR DE OLIVEIRA (January 6, 1940 - September 17, 2017)

A Brazillian percussionist extra-ordinaire who played on the recordings of Joe Cocker, Kenny Loggins, the Jacksons, Chic Corea, Nina Simone, Carlos Santana, Wayne Shorter, Airto Moreira, to name a few.
    He became a member of Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 playing alongside another great percussionist Paulinho da Costa.
    He is mostly renowned for his time as percussionist and full time member of the 70's supergroup Chicago from 1974-1980.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. John Storey

pablo fanques and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. John Storey

Should've posted this version initially, by far the best version, stunning and beautiful.

14. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Don Slepian. New Age Musician extraordinaire.

bopdd likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

I was incredibly lucky in that I saw Searching For Sugar Man before hearing anything about the film, or Rodriguez. I literally had no idea if he was alive or dead before the film revealed it to me. My wife had already seen the film, but she is very careful - pretty much obsessive - about spoilers, so she had revealed nothing. And don't talk to me about Australia - serving as an opening act is hardly the same as being famous. Judie Tzuke opened for Elton John on a tour of the US, and how many Americans other than me know her music?

johnsiddique likes this.
  16. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Joe Popp (hopefully there's some 90's Tampa punk and indie-rock music scene vets around here who remember and admire this fellow)

17. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Jessica Lea Mayfield. Check out her album Make My Head Sing and her newest album Sorry is Gone.

She started off doing alt country, but has evolved into a more alternative rock sound mixed with some contemporary folk. She really bring emotion to her singing and has a lot to say about important issues like domestic violence.

averica likes this.
  18. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

If you like Prog, check out Tiger Moth Tales two albums. It's really just one guy. And he's brilliant.

yesstiles likes this.
  19. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Tom Morgan and Nic Dalton... neither as well known as they damn well should be!

20. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

The Turtles

trumpet sounds, Greenalishi and Zack like this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

One of my first picks would be Miriam Stockley, who is presumably a little better known in the Southern Hemisphere. Currently in Florida, she's a third of the pan-cultural "New Age" project AOMusic, but has done a few solo releases herself. To pigeonhole, I would say her own music often fits within the realm of say, Andreas Vollenweider's group. Bright, clear soprano with a penchant for singing made-up syllables and stacking vocals before processing, she has one worldwide "hit" as the vocalist for the song "Adiemus" by Welshman Karl Jenkins, and the "Perfect Day" tv theme for BBC's The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends. She's a world-class soloist, and the breadth of the work she's been fortunate enough to do, makes her pretty much uncatagorizable.

Arcadia by Miriam Stockley
    (I had a great 3rd video, from AOMusic, called "Shen Dini", but then YouTubastards laid this "captcha" crap on me, and I gave up)

22. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Cosmic Rough Riders

23. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Jason Falkner

averica, sacsongs, PhoffiFozz and 9 others like this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Also a fan of the young British Islander Robyn Sherwell, barely into her debut album. Look what she does with Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide":

Leeston likes this.
  25. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Terry Reid simply amazing story of coulda's in life followed his heart it seems insteadhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Reid

Just discovered him a year ago and have all his solo stuff as a result:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.