Your favourite Sci-Fi film of all time ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Rodan is a glorified The Giant Claw. I never understood the affection for most of the Japanese monster movies except the original Godzilla which is truly a terrific film.

2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Actually a more interesting question than it seems - there is no sex, the little pod things only turn existing humans into "pod people," and there is a finite number of existing people, so if the pop people were totally successful, there would be no more humans at all.

If you take that to it's logical end, pod people still occupy human bodies that age and die, so eventually there would be no more humans OR pod people.

3. Forgot Planet of the Vampires. Without that and It The Terror From beyond Space, we wouldn’t have Alien.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  4. it was pretty bad. The best remakes go their own way by either going back to the source material or trying something different.

5. All of the serious aspects of Wilson’s novel were buried in camp, nudity and sex. I’m ok with that as it worked for the film.

alexpop likes this.
  6. Yep which is precisely why they have to find inhabited worlds to spread their icky ness.

7. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

The Invaders, alien beings from a dying planet. Their destination: the Earth. Their purpose: to make it their world. Richard W has seen them. For him, it began one lost night on a lonely country road, looking for some expensive power cables that he never found. It began with a closed deserted diner, and a man too long without sleep to continue his journey. It began with the landing of a craft from another galaxy. Now Richard W knows that the Invaders are here, that they have taken human form. Somehow he must convince a disbelieving world that the nightmare has already begun. :)

I used to love watching The Invaders; has that really creepy 60's feel to it - I think back then they really mastered the art of set and sound design for science fiction.

Land of the Giants comes to mind but the show sort of went a little silly in the second season; some of the later episodes feel like a chore to watch.

8. Indeed. I’ve been revisiting The Invaders on DVD and was afraid it wouldn’t hold up. It does largely very well. The Outee Limits the best episodes like A Feasability Study, Demon with A Glass Hand, the Sixth Finger, and The Man Who Was Never Born (heck most of Joseph Stefano’s Episodes hold up exceedingly well)

The Prisoner was a game changer with its introduction of an almost surreal element. The best Twilight Zones by Serling and Matheson are great enough to be remade with little to no changes.

I enjoyed The Cage but felt that most of,the first season episodes were of a similar quality if not better.

9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

oooooh, I did NOT take the idea far enough at all. So this must mean the pod things can do this to other beings on other worlds . . . does that mean that, conceivably, once all the human bodies are used up they could start using animal bodies - I mean what kind of organic "containers" are usable to them?

I'm thinking I need to read this book.

10. I agree with Land of the Giants plus I had a hard time once I discovered how small air particles are and the impact of gravity believing the show. It was hard to suspend disbelief but one could make up ways to explain it.

11. Good question. I don’t remember that Finney went that far but it makes sense that this is the way these creatures colonize other worlds—in essence not terraforming a planet but the inhabitants.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Agree. The French actor was easy on the eye. :D

13. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I'm going to assume that most of the "pod seeds" either go nowhere or often to worlds where they can't take hold. The seed and pod idea is great cause it mirrors a process that's like most plants - you just send out the most pollen or rhizomes or shoots as you can and hope some of them take root and reproduce. And most probably never make it.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Wilson‘s Spider World ( series) was pretty great I thought.

wayneklein likes this.
  15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Do pod people age?

16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Last post on "Invasion," I promise - I really do have to read this book.

Anyway, in either the film or the book is it suggested that because 1950s Americans (or maybe people of the era everywhere) were so comformative that they were somehow especially ripe and vulnerable to the pods? If not physically then socially? Cause the social/societal components play a large role in how succesully the pods can take over.

Last note: this is what the best science fiction does - it causes you to think and wonder and explore ideas and possibilities and it's a big reason "Invasion" is one of the all-time best.

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Just like Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea became a creature of the week series. I mean, werewolves on a sub?!?! But I was a kid so naturally, I loved it.

18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

They became cheesy and juvenile after Godzilla vs. The Thing but they retain a certain...something that I still find enjoyable. I'm really on the fence about the upcoming Criterion Godzilla box because the later films are all in this vain and I doubt I would re-watch any of them after the first viewing. Decisions, decisions.

19. Like all Irwin Allen series it quickly became silliness in color.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. I honestly can’t remember as I haven’t read it in years but there is certainly that quality of the vulnerable society because it is comfortable and wholesome.

Tim S likes this.
  21. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Not directly. Bees are generally involved.

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

2001: a space odyssey

CDFanatic and Richard--W like this.
  23. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Oh yes, the org and one I have to watch whenever it’s on

Richard--W likes this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Did you see the mini-series version? Not a tenth as good despite improved technical effects.

SandAndGlass likes this.