Your favourite Sci-Fi film of all time ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Oct 14, 2019.

1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Agree

2. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I cant pick just one so today i will go with Matango Attack of the Mushroom people because I watched it today.

3. John D.

John D. Senior Member

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

....since I was a kid anything with Dinosaurs grabbed my attention...I still love everything Dinosaurs!...so does my wife and son...

5. Michael

the movies back then were a journey to adventure where all of the ppl who attended where there for the movie.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  6. Michael

that is a fabulous list! fan of them all!

John B likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Gorgeous on the big screen half a century ago.

8. alexpop

As you get older, prunes help. :D

9. alexpop

The Prisoner?

Wish I picked up the soundtrack CDs(3) that came circa 2000.

HGN2001 likes this.
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Exactly. Take the original Journey to the Center Of the Earth. 1959 I was seven years old and I still remember seeing that one on the big screen. Adventure deluxe.

11. Michael

a classic! never tire of this no matter how many times I've seen it. : )

Mr Bass and ssmith3046 like this.
  12. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I have a vivid memory of my first movie. My aunt took us to see
    Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. It was 1963, I think, and I was
    about six. I remember it photographically. I remember being
    told I would have to sit down when the movie started and face
    the other direction.

I also remember seeing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in 1968
    and Journey to the Center of the Earth. I agree these are superior
    films, great sci-fi films and memorable movie-going experiences.

13. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

No I didn't know about it! I like the desolation and sanitized environment of the movie :)

14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I would have much preferred if you had posted the opening credit scene. Jane at her finest!

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Though Them was released in 1954, the year I was born, I obviously didn't have the opportunity to see it in the theater. But fortunately after the Saturday morning cartoons, they would show Science Fiction, Action Adventure and Monster movies during the afternoon.

I consider it be be a good thing that the M.P.A.A. ratings system was not in place for movies back them.

So may on the movies of these genera's that I grew up watching on TV as a child, would have probably been censored as the "graphic" violence would have made them age prohibited.

I knew of some parents that would get in a twist over them, even back then.

Excellent sci-fi movie that was made on a low budget, but actually worked. A movie guide that I had, described it as "THE killer plants from outer space movie". I agree.

Every time I see I see the Star Trek (TOS) episode of This Side of Paradise, and see the spores, I can't help thinking that it was ripped off from Triffids.

[​IMG]

Forbidden Planet was the Wizard of Oz of science fiction movies. Still holds up and will never be repeated (not to me anyway).

See below.

While Alien movies are "bug movies", most bug movies are science fiction. I relate to them in a realistic future way. Real looking space ships, weapons, etc...

Star Wars, not commenting on its cinema verite value, but while it is the 2nd half of the 20th century's Wizard of Oz and as iconic as they come. I would consider it to be science fantasy and definitely not as science fiction, which Star Trek would be.

I thought this was a very interesting and original movie. I really liked it but thought it got completely bogged down once they were in the fish house.

Yes they are, Dracula movies are not.

Still the classic time travel movie. And, the Morlocks remind me of people I meet, from time to time.

[​IMG]

Or maybe I was thinking of morons, but same difference. :)

Another excellent movie concept. What really separates it from today's killer comet from outer space movies is that in the end of when Worlds Collide, the earth loses.

While the 1956 original is the classic version, I think they did a good job of the Body Snatchers (1993). While low budget for a sci-fi movie, the cast some new little known talent in the movie like, Meg Tilly, Gabrielle Anwar and a young Forest Whitaker.

Give things some time and you shall be rewarded.

That tends to happen every time someone attempts to fix something that is not broken.

Good movie, that was back when the studio's insisted of movies stars singing, even though it was not a musical.

In the one hundred and seventeen years of wonderful science fiction files that have transpired since Georges Méliès gifted audience with A Trip to the Moon (original French title, (Le Voyage dans la Lune) back in 1902, you come up with Ad Astra?

[​IMG]

16. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I do. Why does that surprise you?

17. Michael

so true!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Time Machine 1960
    2001 A Space Odyssey 1968

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Padding the material didn’t help nor adding a subplot with a reporter trying to uncover everything. Part of the power of that film is the sense of no nonsense scientist trying to uncover mystery.

20. Those Morlocks need some sports bras.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

My favourites are

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
    The War Of The Worlds (1953)
    Blade Runner (1982)
    Aliens (1986)
    12 Monkeys (1995)
    The Fifth Element (1997)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

I don't think that surprise is quite the word I would use.

I note that some people liked Ad Astra, many did not, myself being in the second group.

But, either way, "one hundred and seventeen years of wonderful science fiction movies...", I would think that you might have found one or two that you thought were at least slightly better than Ad Astra, that's all.

I would feel comfortable in saying that 98% (or more) of all the science fiction movies that I have seen throughout my lifetime are better than Ad Astra.

But then we all have different tastes, don't we? Personal preferences are what they are. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

23. Michael

The Lost World- Irwin Allen...

24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

My wife's fav and not shown much, The Crawling Eye, 1958

25. SandAndGlass

Perhaps the result of too many hormones in their diet?

wayneklein likes this.