Your garage/workshop audio gear

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by james, Apr 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Summon The Queen Thread Starter

I’m finally getting a garage for the first time in my adult life. I have an old Nakamichi Receiver that I plan to use with some to be determined inexpensive bookshelves and Roon.

what do you use? Points for photos!

Tim 2 likes this.
  2. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

My old Bang & Olufsen stuff which I used to collect some time ago...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beosystem 6500 (amp/tuner/cd player) with bluetooth receiver connected so I can stream from my phone/server when working downstairs in & around the garage/garden. Speakers are a hybrid mixture of the big Beovox 5000 (passive speakers) connected to the Beovox 4500 active amps underneath. These so-called 'Mondriaan' speakers have turned out to be a pretty good investment money-wise overtime.

iluzun, 33na3rd, tmtomh and 13 others like this.
  3. james

the disco ball is a nice touch! and that's a fine looking cross bike. i don't recognize the headtube badge. what is it?

Martin Takamine, bever70 and Tim 2 like this.
  4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I use this rubble to get me buy in the shed.

Paradigm sub and speakers
    Atoll-100 amp
    Audio Research DAC-8
    Bluesound Node-2
    Shaw galaxy radio receiver

[​IMG]

Ingenieur, 33na3rd, pscreed and 9 others like this.
  5. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

This thread is going to piss me off: my garage will never be as clean as the ones in this thread. I'm out of here.

Sneaky Pete, 33na3rd, Tim 2 and 9 others like this.
  6. james

i'll get a picture of mine the day i move in so that it looks like a self-serving instagram post and then never post the update with my kid's unicorn bike helmets and kitty litter spills on the floor

ivor, timind, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  7. james

that's an impressive AC setup!

Tim 2 likes this.
  8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's just wrong...
    :cheers:
    -Bill

Sneaky Pete and Stone Turntable like this.
  9. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Hah, yep. The way of the world. Reminds me of this great critique of influencer behavior.

I’ll be wearing wireless noise cancelling headphones when I’m working in the garage and yard today, like usual. I move around a lot and I’m typically making noise, so it makes the most sense for me.

Congrats on the garage, BTW. Some unsolicited advice - take your time to unpack and organize things from the beginning. Buy shelves and clear plastic bins to organize things by type (adhesives, batteries, etc.). It takes a little work up front, but it’s a huge payoff in the long run.

timind likes this.
  10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Horrible speaker placement, and what about acoustic treatments? Clearly you are slumming up there.
    :laugh:
    -Bill

timind likes this.
  11. james

Noted and the advice is appreciated. That's when I'll post a photo.

Harris11235 likes this.
  12. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

A beat up Sony cassette boombox, both tapes broke, radio sounds great and it cranks.

If one channel goes out I just hit the top of the boombox and it comes back on.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    CDFanatic, WvL, timind and 2 others like this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ha ha, me too :cheers:

bluesky likes this.
  14. bever70

Thanks, it's a Nr 7even, which is a local Belgian brand, no need to get a foreign brand to do what we do best ;). The shifting gear is American though : also a small local brand called 'Gevenalle', best shifting gear system for cyclocross! They even used a photo of me, in action with their gear, on their homepage a few years ago which was pretty cool :cool:.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  15. bever70

What's wrong ? The disco ball :D ?

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  16. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I do very 'Dirty Work' in the garage, no place for a nice stereo system. An old boombox is perfect... or a nicer CD one from a garage sale if it works right for dirt cheap ... if I ever find one. I only play the radio anyway - I'm working.

Harris11235 likes this.
  17. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

An Amazon tap placed on a high shelf. Connected to wifi so it’ll play music and radio, plus the added bonus of asking her math questions when I need tough fractions while woodworking. Before that, a Bosch 12v radio which actually sounded pretty good for a job site radio. Even has an aux input for my phone as a source.

timind likes this.
  18. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

Douk Audio M1, Polk Audio PSW108, Polk T15, DAP or CD (RCA), DAP or phone (BT)
    The sheet is in place to protect from sawdust and debris.

Tim 2 and bever70 like this.
  19. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

Chromecast audio into an old Apple iPod HiFi unit. (On top of blue cabinets.)

No muss, no fuss and it sounds pretty good.

[​IMG]

pscreed, timind and Martin Takamine like this.
  20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Thats why my system is up high, used to have a screen around it, lots of sanding, cutting and routering going on. Now I just dust the system off more.

Martin Takamine likes this.
  21. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

Yeah, my garage ceiling isn't as high as yours also I have to setup my table saw so it's kicking the saw dust into the garage. Forget it when I'm sanding that dust goes everywhere.

22. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I didn't clean up for the photo. Yamaha A-S801 driving a pair of Technics SB-CR77's, Ascend Acoustics CBM-SE170's, and a Dayton Audio 10" sub. I can hear it well away from the shop.[​IMG]

23. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

You win......what a beautiful looking shop:righton:; I can only dream of a space that big and nice to play around in.

aunitedlemon and bever70 like this.
  24. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

I spent the winter building my own equipment. Speakers were done along time ago. The amplifier was built into a Target wood waste basket located on top of the workbench. the other components including a Denon FM tuner and SMSL jump drive player are in the wall mounted shelves/cabinet which also includes DIY FM tuner, 6 input preamp with tape monitor, 2 line outs and digital volume control, VU meters and a 24vdc/120vac power supply with 4 24 volt out ports and 2 120 volt AC outlets on back, all switched thru the front power switch. More then enough volume for the garage. Cabinets are made from solid oak, top front and back are removable for service or upgrades. System has been running for a couple of weeks with no issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speakers feature a 6 1/2" woofer and a SEAS H086 tweeter, XO at 3500, rear ported.

25. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

From the LINE OUT on my family room HT Pioneer AVR to a NAD 2250 stereo power amp I then run ~40' of 12AWG OFC speaker wire to the garage.

In the garage, up in the rafters, that connects to a Yamaha YST-SW105 sub, which then connects to a pair of Polk Atrium 4 speakers.

It means I need to go in to the family room to change the source / adjust volume etc., however I usually just set it to a cable music channel or FM station anyhow. But given the huge swings in temperature / humidity in the garage over the course of a year, it's best to not have any electronics out there to begin with. I'm a bit surprised, and happy, that the Yamaha sub has been out there a few years now without issue.

Not much to look at but since the OP asked...

The 12AWG first connects to a speaker selector box. One output feeds the front porch speakers, the other the garage.

[​IMG]

Here's the Yamaha sub, or what you can see of it.

[​IMG]

And if you squint, and ignore the suspended clutter, you can see the two Polk speakers up high at the back of the garage.

[​IMG]

Jeff

33na3rd, timind, Blue Gecko and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.