Your last concert, and your best concert memory

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mju-Sick, Mar 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mju-Sick

Mju-Sick Throatwobbler Mangrove a.k.a. Raymond Luxury Yacht Thread Starter

Mine.

Chuck Berry, Oslo 2008.

Paul McCartney, Oslo, 2004.

jfeldt, Steve Litos and Vic_1957 like this.
  2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's understood that this is a brand new thread, but directly below this one was "Your Worst Concert Experience." It's out to 72 pages, which shows what a large segment of forum members would prefer to discuss...

arthurprecarious and mbrownp1 like this.
  3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Most recent show: Stones, Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA, August 22, 2019.

First and favorite show: Beach Boys, Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD, August 5, 1978.

4. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

For me concerts are kind of like pizza and sex: even when it's bad, it's still petty good. So I wouldn't really be able to participate in the "worst concert experience" thread.

dlokazip, Bassist and Say It Right like this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Last concert: The Trials Of Cato at the Hyde Park Book Club, Leeds, towards the end of Feb, last year. Excellent folk band playing a mix of original and traditional English & Welsh acoustic folk music, played with the intensity of a rock band.

Best concert: Far too many great experiences to choose from, really, but the first time I ever saw Fairport Convention (1990) was pretty special.

6. Smurr1958

Smurr1958 Well-Known Member

Most memorable show...Probably Pink Floyd, "The Wall Tour"-Thursday 2/28/80 in Long Island N.Y.(last night in USA!)
    Runners up:
    U2-Vertigo Tour
    Garth Brooks put on an awesome enjoyable show...and I'm not "country"!
    Eagles, Heart, Little River Band, Jonathan Edwards-Yale Bowl...?1982/3?
    Stones '78 Some Girls, Philadelphia, with Foreigner-

Saddest memory...Finally scoring Led Zeppelin tix for a show coming up in Buffalo, N.Y.-...1 month before Bonham died-show obviously cancelled...Damn...So tragic-

Last...Aaron Lewis-BB Mann Auditorium, Ft. Myers, Fl.-A few years back-

Vic_1957, MOE DOLLAZ and carlwm like this.
  7. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Last show: Smokey Robinson - Chicago Theatre - 2020

Probably my best: Radiohead - Red Rocks - 2001

Steve Litos likes this.
  8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Last show was graham nash, state theater Ithaca front row 3/7/20

best concert was the Grateful Dead in Hampton 10/9/89

Zafu and Vic_1957 like this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Had a similar experience a few years ago with Survivor. They were finally about to do a short UK tour when Jimi Jamison died. Gutted.

10. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

last: keziah jones 2019
    best: two radiohead paris 2001 and caetano veloso fina estampa tour maybe 1996

11. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Last concert was either Brothers of a Feather or BABYMETAL. They fell within a short period pre lockdown.

Best concert memories? I am spoiled for choice at my age but it would either be Yes at QPR at a highly impressionable age, Sun Ra at Hackney Empire or Black Crowes in Paris on their last tour. Even Rich Robinson and Steve Gorman thought it was memorable so definitely a keeper.

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

I may have posted without recognizing that it had "forum favorite" potential.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  13. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Last show: August 2019 Noel Gallagher/Smashing Pumpkins
    Best: So many......I'll go with a Dead Boys/Ramones show from 1978

14. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Last show: Massive Attack, February 2019, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Most memorable: The Cure, November 1987, Rotterdam, The Netherlands

ChoonyFish likes this.
  15. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Last Concert - Big Thief at Nottingham Rock City February 2020

Best Concert - Either Arcade Fire at Birmingham Genting Arena or David Byrne at Nottingham Arena both in 2018

16. Last : Blackwater Holylight, it will be a year ago this Friday actually.

First, and favourite : INXS, 1990

Best : Mr. Leonard Cohen, 2010. It was an honour and a privilege to be in the audience that night. Truly.

Siegmund likes this.
  17. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Last show was David Bromberg in Newton, NJ, late 2019. I've seen him about 20 times, and he's always entertaining.

Best concert was Johnny Copeland at Tramps in NYC 1n 1995, right after he received the L-VAD battery-powered artificial heart, which was implanted by Dr. Mehmet Oz, of TV. His first set with his band was kind of a comeback party, with a lot of medical and music luminaries in the audience. It was a great show, but, after most of the audience left after the first set, I stayed, along with only a few dozen other people.
    The late show was the most heartfelt, spellbinding peformance I have ever witnessed. I went backstage afterwards to thank him. Johnny was sprawled out on a tattered sofa, utterly exhaused, his wife holding his hand. I muttered my appreciation, and told him what an inspiration he was to me. He wearily shook my hand, and I'll never forget that moment.
    Johnny Copeland died on the operating table a couple years later during a follow-up heart surgery while waiting for a transplant.

jfeldt, bill44 and Vic_1957 like this.
  18. summerteeth

summerteeth Subterranean Homesick Alien

Bob Dylan
    10-27-18, Macon Georgia*
    Both my last concert and best memory:

I was sitting in the front row of the balcony in the Macon Coliseum (small venue, close to the stage, directly over the soundboard).
    Great show start to finish, but there was one moment when the lights dimmed leaving Bob alone in the spotlight, seated at his piano.
    Tony and Charlie stepped in close -- Donnie was already close (directly behind him), and despite having played this song over a thousand times,
    Bob sang and played what must have been the most tender, emotional, heartfelt "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" he has ever played.
    I can't be sure, but I seem to recall that more than one person was brought to tears.

* a soomlos capture of this show just may be the best-sounding bootleg around

19. savaytse66

savaytse66 Well-Known Member

Sierra Hull
    February 15,2020
    Date night with my daughter, so it qualifies as both!

mando_dan likes this.
  20. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

My last concert was the Moodies in the summer of 2017.

My most memorable has to be one of the many Dead road trips... maybe Stanley Theater, Pittsburgh, Pa in 1980 or Lewiston State Fairgrounds, Maine the same year.

21. MOE DOLLAZ

MOE DOLLAZ Well-Known Member

last: don't remember
    best: first Ozzfest

22. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Yes, he is! We saw him a few times, the latest being in Count Basie Theater, Red Bank several years ago.

bill44 and wwaldmanfan like this.
  23. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Last concert: November 2019: Willie Nelson, Majestic, San Antonio TX

Best Memories: Fleetwood Mac 1977 Rumours Tour Capital Center Landover MD
    Linda Ronstadt 1982 Get Closer Tour , same venue
    Basia, 2011 Birchmere, Alexandria VA
    Carole King, 1989 Merriwether Post, Columbia, MD
    Elton John, 2015, Red Piano Tour, Coliseum Las Vegas
    Lyle Lovett, 2016 Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA
    Coldplay and Duffy 2008 Verizon Center, DC
    Roberta Flack 1981, Kennedy Center DC...I could keep going. I have been to so many shows that put me on a high for days.

24. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

His wife is from Chatham, NJ, and they live nearby in Wilmington, Delaware, so he plays that venue regularly. There's a good concert DVD of his 2009 show at the Count Basie.

Vic_1957 likes this.
  25. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Last concert: Craig Finn in November 2019. Great show in a venue that really doesn't have a bad seat. Kind of had a 78 Springsteen vibe, only a little more low key. Getting there and back was easy too, which wasn't the case with my previous couple of shows.

Memorable: Springsteen, Seattle, December 20, 1978. Still the best show I've seen.
    Alejandro Escovedo Seattle 1996. The first of over 40 shows of his I'd see.
    Wings, Seattle 1976. The only time I've seen Paul
    Michael Fracasso. A couple of house concerts in the early 2000s.
    Lonesome Bob Seattle 2001. His last tour as far as I know. Most of the crowd was unfamiliar with him but heard a radio performance from earlier in the day and decided to go to the show. Bob won everyone over with a great concert.
    There are tons more, but I'll leave it there.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.