Your last concert, and your best concert memory

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mju-Sick, Mar 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHIP72

CHIP72 Forum Resident

Last one: I think 999 at the Black Cat (DC) in late October 2019

Best one: probably Bob Mould at the 9:30 Club (DC) in early October 2005

The latter concert was filmed and recorded for a DVD - Bob Mould, Circle of Friends
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    arthurprecarious likes this.
  2. Miles1968

Miles1968 The years just pass like trains

Last : A Winged Victory for the Sullen Bristol 26 Feb 2020

Best : David Gilmour Albert Hall 29 Sep 2016. I'd promised to take my Mum to see him when he did his previous Albert Hall shows and managed to get tickets for this show. We both really enjoyed it!

3. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I've told this story in another thread but can't find it at the moment, so here goes again

In the late 1990's I saw the country music icon George Jones at the War Memorial Auditorium in Greensboro, NC. Before the show they were serving hard liquor in the lobby which I had never noticed before, as I don't drink. Well, a lot of folks took advantage of the booze situation and got lit before the concert even began. There was an opening act (the name of I can't recall) that was thoroughly booed during his entire set with chants of "BRING OUT THE POSSUM!", Jones' nickname. We sat in the balcony (the cheap seats) so I could barely see the stage. What I could see was a twenty-something male dragging a woman by the hair down the aisle steps, cussing at her. No one (myself included) did anything. Then there were the young ladies that proceeded to dance through a lot of Jones' set as if it were a Backstreet Boys concert. One old lady sitting near me finally said, "SIT DOWN! WE DIDN'T PAY TO WATCH YOU SHAKE YOUR A$$ES!!". Then there was one rowdy fan who yelled a lot during the performance. The same older ladies said to him, "WHY DON'T YOU SHUT UP!?!??!?" to which he replied, "YOU SHUT UP B!TCH!!!". The Possum did a medley of the songs I wanted to hear most, but made sure to squeeze in time to push his dog food (like an on stage commercial). Worst concert experience of my life, but I wouldn't trade the memory for anything.

Greatest concert experience... hmmm....

A toss up between Depeche Mode in Atlanta in 2013 and Seal there in 2005. Also, hearing the crowd sing 'Don't Look Back In Anger' in 2005 (Oasis) in Atlanta was fantastic. Saw Rush a couple of times.... I could go on. Lot's of great memories.

My last show was Depeche Mode. I doubt I'll ever go to another one between I hate society and I'm afraid of covid and the cost of everything and logistics etc.

Vic_1957 likes this.
  4. bill44

bill44 Forum Resident

I was at that show...1st row center! I also live in Chatham, though I did not know his wife, Nancy Josephson, was from here. They performed together (Bromberg + Angel Band) here 3 or 4 years back at a local coffeehouse series that used to be held in the Presbyterian church.

Vic_1957 and wwaldmanfan like this.
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Last Judas Priest 2018
    Best Don't remember

6. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

More than once, at "The Sanctuary". I live in Scotch Plains, and it is a shame that venue is gone. Others that I saw play there include Jorma Kaukonen, John Sebastian, John Hammond, Graham Parker, and Karla Bonoff.

Vic_1957 and bill44 like this.
  7. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Last one: Springsteen and the E Street Band at Nats Park, around the summer of 2016, when I was pregnant with my daughter. Incredible show.

Best concert memory: Both of Paul McCartney's shows at Wrigley Field in 2011 -- August 30th and 31st. He called my sign out at the first show. I had the best seats I've ever had at a stadium show at the second show (20th row on the floor, just off the center of the stage). You can see a picture of me from the second show on his website. I'm the one with the sign that says "do you still like jelly babies?" He didn't call out any signs at that show. I thought I might've gotten a laugh from that one. The girl next to me was trying to get on stage.

[​IMG]

'On The Run' - Crowds

8. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Best - Radiohead on the OK Computer tour at Atlanta's tiny Masquerade (seating capacity: 1,000) - their only stop in the southeast on that tour

Last - Chicago (October 2019)

Most memorable - A few years ago, I attended a Willie Nelson concert at Chastain Park Amphitheater in Atlanta. Merle Haggard was supposed to open the show for Willie but he unfortunately passed away shortly after the tour started. Kris Kristofferson stepped in as Merle's replacement...and Kris played with The Strangers, which was a thrill. A few songs into Kris' set, there was a huge uproar. I looked around to see what was going on and learned it was Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter making their way toward the front (with a little help from the Secret Service). The former president and first lady actually sat at the table behind us. We were wearing patriotic bandanas so we offered one to Mr. Carter. He graciously accepted it, wore it around his neck, and even drank one of the Miller Lite beers we offered him. Cool moment. I have photos from that experience in small photo collage in my office.
    [​IMG]

mercuryvenus likes this.
  9. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Unrelated to music, but a story about Jimmy Carter: When I was about 6 and my sister was around 4, we were waiting with our mom to meet Jimmy Carter at a book signing. It had been raining and there were big puddles on the ground. My sister fell into one and got completely soaked in water and mud. We had to go home, so my mom could clean her up. I always tell my sister she messed up mom's chance to meet Jimmy Carter.

graveyardboots likes this.
  10. County50

County50 Forum Resident

Last show - at MSG, the Brothers 3.10.20

Favorite moment- being 5 ft in front of Dickey Betts at a club on Long Island when Dangerous Dan was in Great Southern.

Vic_1957 and Daryl M like this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I believe my last concert was nearly two years ago, Joe Jackson here in town, with full band. He was excellent at covering for his age, the way other singers covered a note or two in arrangements where he used to go high, so he could sing a third or fifth lower, and a few more ballads in the set (or rockers done in ballad form) than we used to get. But he was all-in, and it was a tremendous show, and gave me hope he'd have a couple more tours in him. Frankly though, I'd love to see him work on more studio stuff such as film soundtracks and other left-turn projects like he used to do, and save his energies for more experimental directions. But that's just me.

Second-best has to be Huey Lewis, on his first tour promoting Sports. My station was the sponsor, and we'd had Chubby Checker on air that day, promoting another venue in town he was playing at. But Chubby was also in the audience for the Huey Show, did a couple numbers with him, and also helped keep Huey from "sharing keep his news". He came back onstage after a brief break during an instrumental, and his fly was open. Chubby wrote something down on a napkin, and handed it up to him in the middle of his number. Huey reads it, his eyes shot open, he jumped up, spun-around, zipped-up, spun back around...without losing a beat of his performance.

I think my favorite concert memory, was "discovering" Sarah McLachlan just as "Possession" was getting airplay off Fumbling Towards Ecstasy. It was at Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, and my wife had scored tickets because she volunteer-ushered there (they "pay" you in tickets). I came home a fan, and was really impressed with her compositional style, and ability to turn her music into something that worked in front of an audience as well as more private listening. She wrapped up that evening with a previous hit, "Into The Fire", which she surprised with a custom intro, that I've never heard her perform since: it was eight bars of George Benson's groove in his cover of "On Broadway", and at the tail of that was Chic's "Awww, Freak Out!" shout, into the standard arrangement of her own song. Just a solid idea, executed well.

I now probably own more concerts and alternative recordings of her work than anybody I can think of not named Zappa.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  12. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Last: either the Arkells or Jade Bird here in November of 2019.
    Best: several years back I drove down to Cleveland by myself to see the Allman
    Brothers. At the venue, I ran into Kirk West, the `tour mystic'. He invited me
    to come up on stage after the opening act (Gavin DeGraw). Anyway, he stuck
    me in a tiny alcove side-stage where the Brotherhood Of Light did their liquid
    light show. I was between the guitar players and the lip of the stage. During the
    drums Gregg and his woman came and stood beside me where he changed his
    shirt. I ignored him (lol). Fabulous concert. I bought the Instant Live CDs after
    the gig and have yet to play them......astonishing.

Vic_1957 likes this.
  13. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

My last show was Ray LaMontagne in Detroit back in October 2019.

My most memorable was when I saw Greta Van Fleet in Grand Rapids MI on Dec. 30, 2017. Not for the show, although it was good. I will always remember getting in.

It was during a cold snap here in Michigan. Air temps were near or below zero. The line to get in the building was 3 blocks long. I kept my coat on and I was still freezing. The rest of my crew left their coats in the car! We were not looking forward to freezing in that line. One of my friends that went to the show is a major league concert vet. She said "Follow me, play it cool!"
    The line turned 90 degrees right by the venue. There seemed to be a little gap right where the line turned. We walked right up to that gap in the line and jumped in. My friend starts chatting up everyone like we were supposed to be there, not like we just cut ahead 3 blocks! No one said a word to us about cutting. Instead of waiting in that insanely long, cold line, we were inside within 5 minutes. High fives all around when we made it in. I was convinced someone would say something. Nope!

14. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Last gig: Brit Floyd, 2019 (Wall tour)

Best concert memory: Pink Floyd, 1988/9 and Roger Waters, 2002.

Most surprising: Suzanne Vega, 1990ish (truly excellent)

Worst: Tangerine Dream, 90s (truly awful)

dlokazip and Siegmund like this.
  15. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Last: It's hard to remember the before times but I think Julia Holter in 2019

Best: Radiohead at Summer Sonic 2016

16. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

I have that DVD. Basie is a great, small venue. :agree:

Yes, the Bromberg's have a violin shop in De.

17. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Last - Beth Rowley late February last year.

Best - The Who Charlton Athletic 1976. Simply astounding

18. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Don't fret, honey. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say your backseat moderating efforts are always very much appreciated :hugs:

19. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Testament, in London, March 2020.

Difficult to choose one. Maybe Bowie @ Glastonbury 2000 or Mr. Bungle, the same year in London.

Bowie1979 likes this.
  20. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

Last concert
    Bob Weir & Wolf Brothers 3/2019

Best WAY TOO MANY
    King Crimson '83 Poplar Creek JUST flat out amazing
    Grateful Dead 10/26/89 Miami Arena I thought the place was going to levitate/implode during Dark Star and was 100% sober it was INSANE
    Ozzy first solo tour with Randy Rhoads again just amazing
    Fare Thee Well 7/5/2015 while the band was very good the whole experience surrounding it for us was way more then just the actual band performing

21. Bowie1979

Bowie1979 Forum Resident

Last - Iggy Pop, The Barbican 2019 (AND up there with one of my most memorable, at the front of the stage and was able to clasp hands with the man himself)

Best - Seeing Bowie for the first time in Manchester, 2002, soaked to the skin with rain, but the clouds parted when Bowie took to the stage.

Nike and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  22. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Last concert: IDLES at Terminal Five, 10/19
    Best memory: Patti Smith and Television at Max's 9/74, opened up a whole new vista of what was possible. Changed my life.

zither likes this.
  23. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

Last was Tesla in September 2019.
    Best memory was being front row for Black Sabbath directly in front of Tony Iommi and after holding up a handmade sign stating "All I want for my birthday tomorrow is a pick from Tony Iommi tonight" he leaned in to read it, smiled and nodded affirmatively and at the end of the show walked up to me and handed me four picks.

wrat likes this.
  24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Last: Neko Case with Calexico opening. Seattle, Dec 2019.

Best: HORDE fest. Chicago 1997

25. F-Stop Fitzgerald

F-Stop Fitzgerald Full Fathom Five

Last: Tom Waits, 8/30/99, State Theatre, Minneapolis, MN. An absolutely magical night with a transcendent performance, and the perfect finale to my days of attending live concerts.

Best: No competition for this one. 8/3/83, Benefit for Minnesota Dance Theatre at First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN. "Special Surprise Guest" Prince introduced The Revolution, in their first public performance.

Loyce Houlton and the staff of MDT had worked on choreography with the band members over that summer, and was to The Revolution what Cholly Atkins had been to Motown artists. This was Prince's chance to help out the organization by doing a fund raiser.

It was the most exciting performance I've ever seen (Springsteen live was my previous high water mark). The band was tight and fierce, and Prince was like a child who'd been set loose on the playground: skipping around the stage, and at one point sitting on top of a monitor with a big grin on his face while peeling off some stunning guitar licks.

And, of course, you can hear a portion of this evening on the last three songs of the album Purple Rain, albeit with some overdubs applied.

I have a recording of that night, but unfortunately it excises the stage patter between Prince and Loyce, including a moment when she gently corrected him re DMSR, "You know, Prince, Romance should really come first..."

Lagniappe: Since it was a benefit concert, I claimed the tickets as tax deductions.

dlokazip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.