Your LP Holy Grail

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

2. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

An original British mono pressing of „Their Satanic Majesties Request“ with the 3D cover:)

3. Tourswede

Tourswede Forum Resident

Kind of holy grail that makes me real happy when I come across it in record shelf:

13th floor elevators. 1st record stereo orig EX, Easter Everywhere stereo orig EX and next to them is first uk press Roky Erickson and the aliens NM.

The one that got away. I had an almost NM first mono press Eastern Sounds that I sold to pay rent when out of work. Sold as I had 2 other copies that I thought were good enough. I still miss that 1st mono sometimes. Oh well. Ha

4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I didn’t know the first pressing was on red vinyl. Was that Factory UK?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yes the first UK pressings were on black and also on dark translucent red, pressed at Tranco. I finally got my red Unknown Pleasures grail earlier this year.

AaronW, bettsaj and Fruff76 like this.
  6. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

these were a couple of 7 inch picture discs i picked up, back when depeche mode
    started releasing limited ones. they're still around, and not that expensive either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.discogs.com/Depeche-Mode-Suffer-Well/release/656087

Depeche Mode ‎– Suffer Well
    Label:
    Mute ‎– BONG37, Mute ‎– 0094635594874
    Format:
    Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single, Limited Edition, Numbered, Picture Disc
    Europe
    Released:
    10 Apr 2006
    Genre:
    Electronic
    Style:
    Techno, Electro, Ambient

TracklistShow Credits
    A Suffer Well (Metope Vocal Remix) 6:28
    B The Darkest Star (Monolake Remix) 5:54
    Total Time: 12:22

https://www.discogs.com/Depeche-Mod...Robag-Wruhme-Slomoschen-Kikker/release/714863

Depeche Mode ‎– John The Revelator (UNKLE Dub) / Lilian (Robag Wruhme Slomoschen Kikker)
    Label:
    Mute ‎– BONG38, Mute ‎– 0094636687674
    Format:
    Vinyl, 7", Single, 45 RPM, Numbered, Limited Edition, Picture Disc
    Europe
    Released:
    03 Jul 2006
    Genre:
    Electronic
    Style:
    House, Electro, Tech House

TracklistShow Credits
    A John The Revelator (UNKLE Dub) 5:40
    AA Lilian (Robag Wruhme Slomoschen Kikker) 3:39
    Total Time: 9:19

I think the mixes were on the cd-singles.

later

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

The Equals - Mystic Syster

I just know I’m gonna find one in the wild someday.

8. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I've got an Australian copy with the silver banner that used the stampers as original UKs if I'm not mistaken.

Ayshpaysh and Veech like this.
  9. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

About 5 years ago a friend of mine who retired and took a job in a record store just for fun
    scored me one of mine from a stack of records they sent him to the trash bin with...
    The Sweet - Desolation Boulevard - (North American Version) Original Sealed in Mint Condition!

caravan70 and Stone Turntable like this.
  10. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

There are few for me anymore but I would love to find:
    -An affordable, VG+/VG+ or better John Coltrane "Live in Seattle" (VG on the sleeve would be OK).
    -Steve Wynn and the Miracle 3, ...tick...tick...tick on vinyl.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  11. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

Thats my Holy Grail right there - to be able to retire and work in a record store just for fun!!!

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I missed the boat in the 80s and 90s when it was possible to still buy Velvet Underground & Nico unpeeled, or 1st press White Light White Heat. For some reason I was always happy with my original UK 70s copies bought new in my local record shop. And I never got the ‘must have an original’ bug. Instead In the 90s i bought every VU bootleg I could find because it was more important to hear any new music by them.

I used to look at those original studio album pressings 10 or 15 years ago but could never bring myself to spend the money they required. Today it is silly. For what? An LP i’d never want to play?

I’d rather have a great painting or other art to put on the wall and look at every day. I could buy a not-too-rare Sol LeWitt print for the same money.

My Holy Grail would be a Warhol Marylin painting. A Sigmar Polke or a Richard Prince ‘nurse’ painting.

13. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I used to think the same thing, but I guess eventually dealing with the general public proved to be a major buzzkill.

Marty T and andy obrien like this.
  14. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

SopHisTicaTed BeGGaR (Strike Records ~ 1966) (UK only-2000 pressed) I read years ago that Jimi got one in late 1966 when he moved to London!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyone got one? An extra? A Story, etc...

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    caravan70, phillyal1 and hi_watt like this.
  15. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I lucked into a UK King Crimson first issue of Red in a shop a couple of years back. Pretty mint, which blew me away.

16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

For many years it was a kopy of the uber rare UK Mono "Something Else by the Kinks" (me fave album from one of me Top Five Fave bands)

Kopies in good shape were in the $300.00 range (and you had to trust sellers from across the pond for that assessment).

Finally found a kopy in 2011 (from a UK seller from whom I had previously purchased some items and was konfident of his grading) for just under $100.00.

It was graded accurately -- having klicks and pops but no skips after a kouple of wet-vacuum kleans... I was happy.

Of kourse, in 2016 Kevin Gray kut a great Mono version from the original UK tapes which I was able to get in NM kondition for $32.00.

Oh well, such is the kollecting life.

[​IMG]

17. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

They appear to be black pressings under normal conditions. It’s only when you hold them up to the light they appear dark, translucent red. It’s the same for the original U.K. pressings of Closer too, which I used to have many years ago before giving it away because I “upgraded” it to CD :doh:

Fruff76 and hi_watt like this.
  18. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Budgie S/T, UK first issue. Not out of reach, but who wants to pay those prices? I lucked into a UK first issue of their sophomore album, Squawk, at a very fair price. But that debut.........

19. Wonderwall Music (Mono)

Mylene likes this.
  20. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

For me it’s an original Cool Struttin’

[​IMG]

Heck I’d be happy if it’s reissued on the Blue Note Classics schedule. That and Blue Train.

kt66brooklyn and caravan70 like this.
  21. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

I found 2 of my decades long searches in 2019 before Covid. The first Cock Sparrer album, which says "made in Columbia" on the label, so i am pretty sure its a bootleg, also the Black Merda debut which is probably also unofficial. To be honest i have nearly everything i ever wanted on vinyl, that makes it fun to try out new things you dont know :)

22. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Although I have virtually all my grails now on top of the list is a 1st pressing blonde on blonde USA in mono.

AaronW and Barnyard Symphony like this.
  23. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Any RCA Victor 'Vintage Series' LP from the late 60s-early 70s.
    Do have my two favorites - Bluebird Blues and Duke Ellington's Flaming Youth.

kt66brooklyn and phillyal1 like this.
  24. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Wow! Didn’t know that. Any difference in sound?

25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Sympathies, but somehow I never think of a record collector as 'general public' :)